Reporting LIVE from Damyns Hall (Essex MVT Show)

All set up at Damyns Hall, only brought the MOBAT this year as didn't want to risk driving the Fox here after the gearbox problems at W&P.

Lots of activity here with traders & exhibitors setting up. look like it has the makings of a good show.. pop by & say hello if your there, I'm not hard to find, just look out for the MOBAT.

Weather.. been raining all day, about an hour ago we were sitting in the eye of a storm but now the sun has come out, forcast for the weekend looks good

Usual photo update tomorrow.

MVT Show website http://www.militaryandflyingmachines.org.uk/

There is a chance I won't be able to get down to unload today..... Lee, are you up for unloading the Sherman? Could you PM me your mobile number so we can discuss please?

Thanks for the offer Adrian but Noooooooooooooo!! I'd rather have a test drive in one first... I remember first time I drove any tracked vehicle & sitting in Chris's CVR(T) with an instruction sheet in my hand to get it off Rex's low loader... rather not do that with a Sherman. I can ask about to see if anyone here can offload for you if you want?

I was there this morning (as a punter, no MV :cry:) and it was a great show, as someone else said "just like W&P in the early days".

I thought attendance was good, both exhibitors and audience, one or two spots of rain, but mostly fine.

My congratulations to the organisers.

jh

I had a great & relaxing day down there today, looking forwards to tomorrow now. Met a few people I haven't seen in many years and had a good chat to catch up then finished off the day sitting in the beer tent with Lee & Alison listening to the Polka Dot Dolls singing.

Overall a very friendly and cool atmosphere with some great vehicles and aircraft to be seen.

• 2 weeks later...

It was the best show yet - displays, beer tent (Mild & bitter all weekend!), airshow, organisation, everything. I needed 3 days to recover, and that wasn't the result of alcohol.

Pleased we managed to get Sally B and Maurice's Mustangs back to back, and especially the 3 ship flypast on the Saturday. Sadly, due to the weather forecast on Sunday, Elly wanted Sally B to display earlier than planned at 1.30, so we didn't get the 3 ship fly-by that day, but it didn't detract in the slightest.

Thoroughly enjoyed the weekend, and we've already started planning for our own AAF Mechanics display for 2012 - bigger and better than this year.

There were rumours that there wouldn't be a show in 2012 - these are completely false. The only question at the moment is what possible impact the 'Olympic Airspace Restrictions' might have on the flying display. It's being looked at very closely and having read the available restriction & prohibited airspace documents, I'm hopeful the impact will be minimal, but the CAA have the final say.

I know all the organisers worked flat-out to make the show such a success, and for many of them the entire weekend passed them by - they were all working - but the success of the show is testament to the detailed preparation, planning and management of the entire event. Well done Colin, Richard, Tracey, Keith, Barry, Cheryl, Neil, David, and everyone else who was involved with making this such a superb weekend.

Roll on 4th & 5th August 2012!

A few more pics of non-Landrover stuff.... :laugh:

Actually, these are from our AAF mechanics display, but working through the checklist before the show, I forgot my camera but a number of people have shared their pics, and this is what we did......AAFMech1s.JPG

AAFMech11.JPG

AAFMech10.JPG

AAFMech9.JPG

AAFMech8.JPG

AAFMech7.JPG

AAFDisplay.jpg

AAF Display2.jpg

I just had to include a picture of the AAF Mechanics 'holy grail', which a fellow HMVF member alerted me to, having stumbled across it on ebay.... an unissued/NOS WW2 C-47 Service Squadron Kit. This is a complete kit of all the non-standard aircraft tools, still wrapped in waxed paper/OD cloth tape. Amazing that something like this could have survived all those years. Now we need to find the equivalents for the B-26 and A-26!!!

C47ServiceSqKit.jpg

And some pics of Maurice's Janie & Marinell, aswell as Sally B. The Three ship flypast was special...but then when Maurice came in on his first pass..... then there was when..... I could go on all day. You needed to be there I think!

Special thanks to Phil Whalley for allowing me use of his pictures.

HardwickP51s.jpg

HarwickPair.jpg

3shipA.jpg

3shipB.jpg

3shipC.jpg

Edited by Chris Warne
more pics