Alvis Stalwart 18 ET 29 restoration project

Catch 22 LBDR

I am tradesman qualified MIG,TIG,Stick.....shouldnt be a problem for me and I have a good MIG.

Just time poor to do the work.

OK, now I'm envious :wow:. There is a nice book done by Bill Munro called Alvis Saracen Family.ISBN 1-86126-537-9. In it he says the first Stalwarts were made from Cor-ten steel, then latter BS968 steel and welded with CO2 fine wire welding. Hope this info is useful.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Ross,

She coming along, it's nice to find things in the hull, last week I found an old a/f spanner under the fuel tank! :D

Had to take one of my wheels off, as a caliper is leaking, so will need to renew the seals.

I would be really chuffed to find an in service photo of mine, who knows one day one will turn up!

Cheers, speak soon

Shaun

Finally finished sanding the Stalwart cab:cheesy:, primed and painted one topcoat so far, want to put another coat on before I re-fit the glass, then its bleed the clutch and back outside it goes. A milestone will soon be reached, Will start sorting out the mechanics next, will start with the brakes I think, its not building air. A welcome switch from cutting, welding and grinding.

Test fitted the canvas cover this week, was a bit nervous as I got the drawings from Shaun' who got them from someone else and I spent quite a bit getting it made with out really known if it was right. I looked at some pics of other Stolly's with covers and compared it to mine and, hat's off its identical. I think if I was doing it again I would have added in about 3 or 4 inches to the length, but that's just personal preference. It really finishes her off:D.

Also fitted the windows, I decided to use putty instead of silicon, after seeing the rot around the windows I learned that silicon splits and traps water, where as the putty is easy to replace/ repair and it does't trap water, probably something to do do with the oil in the putty.

On a not so good note when we went to start it and move it out of my brothers shed a wire got snagged an the water pump pulley and severed the drive belt, on closer inspection the belt tension pulley was seized also:cry:. Less hast, more speed!!!. So added to the shopping list is a toothed belt and a set of bearing's.

Was rather impressed with my Dad's 110 defender which pulled it out of the shed across a field and parked it outside his one, with out so much as a cough:shocked:. One life, live it, Landrover!!!

Hey Ross,

Great to hear that the cover turned out ok, we are trying to find someone to make some, (4 needed so far) it's amazing how different and better they look with the covers on.

You will have to put up a picture to show us all.

Sorry to hear about your belt/pulley problem, but the belts are easy enough to get hold of from the usual dealers!

I bet your itching to get out and drive her, they are fun. :-D

Cheers

Shaun

Well I used "Allied Forces" to make mine. They were so helpful and nice that I didn't bother shopping around, so if I didn't get a good price I don't mind.

Do you want me to PM you what I paid, not sure I should put it on hear.

Pic's to follow in a few weeks, not working on it this week, and yes it does look good. thanks mate.:D

• 2 weeks later...

Started work on the brake master cylinder's. After removing and striping down the only part that needs replacing is one of the valve rubbers. Have ordered the part from 'Past Parts'. hear is there part number and price if anyone is interested.

They told me they were in the middle of overhauling a master cylinder for a Stalwart for someone else, so if your thinking of taking the plunge down into the belly of the beast I'm sure they will have all the parts needed, after all the cost of replacing the unit it outrageous.

17-7184 price £11.47+ vat.

Note; this is for the MK2 Stolly.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got the part for the brake master cylinder, had a few prob's with the postal system, but Past Parts were fantastic about it. So hear is a look at the new part next to the old part. They look very different so I hope it works, I don't suppose anyone has done this before???:-|

Photo0266.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All, things are a little slow with the Stalwart at the moment. Getting married next month so that seams to have taken over most of my spare time. I have also bean working on extending my work shed area as the parts storage seams to have taken over. This will mean the doner vehicle can be stripped, the parts put into storage and the hull sent in scrap. This will probably take priority over the restoration of 18ET29 for a while.

But keep following and posting, and thanks to you all for your support and advice.

Ross

• 2 months later...

Hi guys, Haven't done much with 18ET29 in the last few months but I have bean stripping down the donner vehicle.

I started to strip the wheel station and tried to remove the hub and outer swivel ball as one unit by splitting the drive between the inner and outer swivel ball's, but no matter what I tried it just will not split. Is there something I am doing wrong guys??:sweat:

• 1 month later...
Hi guys, Haven't done much with 18ET29 in the last few months but I have bean stripping down the donner vehicle.

I started to strip the wheel station and tried to remove the hub and outer swivel ball as one unit by splitting the drive between the inner and outer swivel ball's, but no matter what I tried it just will not split. Is there something I am doing wrong guys??:sweat:

After talking to a guy in the know it turned out that you need to do is; remove too small brass bungs on the shaft housing between the two swivel balls. Then turn the hub/shaft until you can see the head of a pin in one of the holes, then drift it out using a punch. Its that easy:nut:

• 9 months later...

Back to the grind stone this week, the good weather means I can finally do some work on the the stalwart.

Fitted a new toothed drive belt. The belt tension roller was seized so I striped it down and used some bits from a spare one to make a serviceable one. The bearings will need to be replaced at a later stage but at least its working for now.

I also rebuilt the brake master cylinder's ready for refitting, I also need to fit the fan belts. That will be next weeks jobs:-D

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...