Alvis Stalwart 18 ET 29 restoration project

Catch 22 LBDR

Thanks, but I haven't got one, yet!

I posted a picture of the Mk2 width dimensions on the other thread about the viscous couplings.

Looking through the manuals, it seems fairly logically laid out, but the controls with hydraulic operation (throttle & choke seem a bit of overkill, very nicely done though.

I've got Stalwart stuff coming out of my ears now! :D

Peter

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We get that regularly when we are building some of our big chargers, we use a strip of double-sided foam stuck to something that will support about 20-30mm of it, then you can go fishing. The better foams are very sticky and will normally allow a fair bit of tugging to loosen the grip if it is wedged down between something.

Most 'magnets on a stick' won't pick up a phone, as most of it is plastic and ali or non-magnetic stainless, don't ask how I know!

Double-sided tape is not as effective, it needs to be the foam.

Peter

Last week just went from bad to worse, after I lost my phone (yes its still in the belly of the beast) my other half lost hers. (not in the Stolly I might add). Then I had to go to hospital to get a steel shard removed from my eye complements of my baby grinder:beatenup:.

So this week was mostly spent unbolting bits around the cab, and its not looking good. I have removed 3 of the 5 front windows only to discover the rot around them is a lot worse than previously thought (pics to follow). The left hatch is in a bad way too, and some idiot has welded in the passenger seat:banghead:. Still, The floors, drivers seat, heater, heater pipes, two top hatches, sun visor thing,ect have all bean removed.

I have yet to decide the best way to repair the window frames. I'm thinking of making up a sort of 'Z' cross section and shaping it to the out line of each window, then cutting out the window hole and welding this in, or maybe on top of the old steel. What do you think???

Re rotten windows,

so if i understand correctly the window openings are rotten and you propose a Z flange.

The outer edge of the flange gets welded to good steel and the inside forms a seating surface for the window.

I guess my only concern would be making a 100% good seal to the competant material on both the outside and the inside.

I think welding the outside or using one of the body work seam sealers are your options. Frankly I quite like the new age seam sealers / adhesives as that stuff will not only bond the to but also remove any air voids that will allows moisture to collect. It is always any of the places that laminations occur that are the worst places for rust to start.

The American M series "Reo" trucks are terrible for that in the cargo box sides.

You will have your work cut out for yourself forming the Z flange at the corners, i think you will have to make up jig board to work on the get the proper shape.

I think you are going the right way mate. It will look smart and tidy but also have the integrity you need to be a long lasting repair

R

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got the left side welded up and primed, now all i have to do is refit the spiller tops, door seals and doors and that's the load bay finished, O and finish it off in a top coat of desert yellow.

Then its onto the cab, I have also removed the clutch master and slave cylinders ready for overhauling. Part of the clutch pipe has to be replaced too.

Photo0021.jpg

get a jolly engineering upgrade to the points, will improve running massively...I would look at all the pipes and check for integrity, certainly I would consider changing the brake rubber hoses, body to wheel, they fail without warning, two went on one of mine last week...so I had no brakes...check your air packs for integrity, if they fail parts are getting very hard to find...I have recovered my throttle remote cylinder by soaking the parts in seal restorer, how long it lasts we will see but it has gone from a massive leak to no leak and working perfectly...

now my clutch is slipping and need to find if its gone or just needs adjusting,...

get a jolly engineering upgrade to the points, will improve running massively...I would look at all the pipes and check for integrity, certainly I would consider changing the brake rubber hoses, body to wheel, they fail without warning, two went on one of mine last week...so I had no brakes...check your air packs for integrity, if they fail parts are getting very hard to find...I have recovered my throttle remote cylinder by soaking the parts in seal restorer, how long it lasts we will see but it has gone from a massive leak to no leak and working perfectly...

now my clutch is slipping and need to find if its gone or just needs adjusting,...

O there is lots of work still to do, she doesn't build air so i have no brakes, the fuel system needs to be overhauled too. She runs on a jerry-rigged fuel tank. But the cab welding has to be done first. She needs to be made water tight before i move it back outside, i also have ordered a canvas cover for the load space. At least when the clutch is fixed i can move it around.

Hey Ross,

She is coming along nicely now, should be swimming her early next year!:cool2:

The cab is quite bad, but it's repairable, and once done you'll feel great about it, and you have saved another stolly.

If you park her outside, get a cover that covers the whole vehicle length, and leave the hull drain plugs out, as she will fill up, but don't forget to replace them before swimming.

When I lived in uk there was a breakers yard near me, who bought a stolly when they were first being demobbed, he had a lake in the quarry so decided to swim her! But there was no plugs fitted, no need to tell you what happend!

I fitted a jolly kit, as Paul said, to mine, bit of a fiddle to do but she runs nice now, and no need to mess with the points anymore.

Keep up the good work

Cheers

Shaun

great job, trouble with a stalwart is it isnt the body that is its real problem but the mechanicals and the complexity and unreliability at this age of those components, and now to add to the problem the scarcity of spares...but keep going...I love to see how much work you guys put into these machines.,..great skill...