reme collection

landyandy

well this is the end of the reme collection

Among six "high-value" barracks to be sold is the School of Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers in Bordon, Hants.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/campaigns/our_boys/3702448/Troop-numbers-are-to-be-cut-by-17000-and-bases-flogged-off-Defence-Secretary-Liam-Fox-reveals.html#ixzz1SXDJdsZC

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

OMG I love the museum, will have to get our group up there again and visit. Cant someone buy it all????!!!

As a reservist and sorry to see the demise of Borden and other bases, would the Reserve Forces and Cadets Assn (RFCA), who have a lot of real estate, be able to take it over and house it as a trust or custodian funder? My LAD love going down to courses at the REME schools and if closure there what is the alternative? Probably farm out to civvy training providers -everyhing else being farmed out, catering, logistics -soon other arms will become civilianised by the whitehall bean counters.

well this is the end of the reme collection

Among six "high-value" barracks to be sold is the School of Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers in Bordon, Hants.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/campaigns/our_boys/3702448/Troop-numbers-are-to-be-cut-by-17000-and-bases-flogged-off-Defence-Secretary-Liam-Fox-reveals.html#ixzz1SXDJdsZC

SEME at bordon has been on the cards for a few years now hasn't it?

my dad worked for vospers teaching CVRT and 432 maintenenace a few years back, they were told then that in 2013/14 they would all be moving to wales.

will be sad to see it go, lots of history lost, again!

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

OMG I love the museum, will have to get our group up there again and visit. Cant someone buy it all????!!!

as soon as i have won the euromillions i will, just need to win now!

Very sorry to hear this news. How can reservists - i.e. very limited amount of training and experience - ever do the same job. Cannon fodder.

Whitehall does not care for any form of heritage or what is stands for - unless it benefits Whitehall residents.

just remember we are dealing with politians here so nothing is set in stone and look on the bright side if it kicks off with libya and iran they might have to have a rethink about cutting numbers. every cloud has a silver lining :D (unless you're a squaddie)

rick

would the Reserve Forces and Cadets Assn (RFCA), who have a lot of real estate, be able to take it over and house it as a trust or custodian funder

Gary

Not a chance there as all MOD arms affected by cost cutting. Cutbacks gone thru the TA and the ACF in the same way.

I have loaned my working Clansman 352 to my local ACF County to allow them to continue with Signals tuition. All the other MOD owned kit was taken back under instruction by QM.........

It doesn't matter which wing of the MOD it falls under it is all being hit hard even the RFCA........

Sad state of affairs when commissioned officers loan personal kit back to MOD...........:nut::blush::blush:

We luckily held onto the clansman kit when we heard that Bowman was cancelled for most of TA, so we still have our Comms capability. How much longer before the MOD have to buy back kit previously sold by Withams etc lol?

We luckily held onto the clansman kit when we heard that Bowman was cancelled for most of TA, so we still have our Comms capability. How much longer before the MOD have to buy back kit previously sold by Withams etc lol?

Nick Mead once told me that's already happened - he's apparently quite often approached about buying back spares!

Andy

Lets hope its not replaced by a call centre in India :nut:! Really sad its closing before I had a a chance to see the complete collection ! So much of this countries recent heritage seems to be up for sale now ! Really gets on my nerves its so short sighted !

I would have thought the REME museum would be all over this,applying for a lottery grant, launching an appeal in order for a new building next it (near them if no room) for a new building to house the collection undercover + a arena like Bovy’s (to draw the punters in) & long-term a workshop building where Friends of the REME museum (like Bovington has) could restore things.I just hope its your cunning plan...

I would have thought the REME museum would be all over this,applying for a lottery grant, launching an appeal in order for a new building next it (near them if no room) for a new building to house the collection undercover + a arena like Bovy’s (to draw the punters in) & long-term a workshop building where Friends of the REME museum (like Bovington has) could restore things.I just hope its your cunning plan...

sadly we have been down this route and the answer was NO,john and i will be keeping a few running vehicles at a yet to be annouced place as we havent got the time or resouces to to do all of them as much as we would like to

Andy , I know its a bit of a cheek but would it be possible for the entire collection as it now stands to be photographed as individual items to create a permanant record of the museum before it is all split up !:-D

can,t see a problem with that,apart from the vehicles john and i will keep running the rest of reserve collection will go into storage at lynham,if ur interested on aug 28th we will have the conq out at slab common and will be bringing the m74 on the amazon