Finally, le truck c'est arrivé!

ghasp!

Yes after 14 months wait, numerous slipped delivery dates and one aborted attempt at collection I finally have my truck!

Here's a picture of me in a wet windswept France :shake:, having spent the past hour running around the docks looking for the truck. At one stage two French security guards, in black uniforms and red armbands (very much like the SS) told me it was not possible to enter the lorry park on foot. I had to phone the French guy and he came and argued with them, in the way only the French can, until I was eventually let it.

width=640 height=480http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j214/x902110/SA400135.jpg[/img]

"There's a slight problem with the gearbox", was the first thing he said when we got to the truck, "but don't worry I knock off some of the price". It was a struggle to understand, but I gathered some sort of securing clip had come off which meant the gearbox wasn't working, but they'd bodged it with a bit of wire. He didn't know how long it would last. :schocked: Aggghhh!!! Anyway I got it on the ferry and everything seemed to be fine. When we docked in an even wetter greyer colder Dover :shake: I thought I was home, if not home dry. Then just as I reached the top of the offloading ramp, the gearbox failed. I now had articulated lorries bearing down on me at a rate of knots and nowhere to go, there wasn't even a footpath. Eventually the port authority towed me off, but that was the scariest bit, because the tow rope was only about 7 feet long. The ramp was very high and very steep and I had to rely on 62 year old brakes that I'd never really tested before, to stop me crashing into the back of the tow truck and writing both vehicles off. Luckily we all made it down in one piece. I'd arranged for a low loader to take the truck off to a R&R services and give it a once over, so thankfully I didn't have to drive it any further!

Needless to say I haven't told the wife about the gearbox incident! :wink:

Oh flipping well done that man!

I am really pleased for your Ghasp and may I be the first to welcome you to the club of elite MV owners.

Could you let us have some history on it and R&R services restoring it for you?

Again, well done mate!

Best wishes.

Jack.

Surely a contender for the 'Worst place to break down' trophy

The trophy being a first aid kit for bruised foot

after hoofing the offending vehicle,

which goes from your pride and joy to your nemesis

in the time it takes to kick it as hard as you can :wink:

Nice Truck Ghasp

I know well the sensation of waiting at the docks for your truck to arrive... very exciting... then driving it home 140-odd miles!

Bodge - that is too funny :-D :-D :-D

I always think that haynes manuals should grade jobs by the number of skinned knuckles and blood lost and expletives used

"Ah yes starter motor removal and refitment "

"It says here 3 plasters, 2 knuckes, a couple of f**kin' s, 3 cups o' tea :-o and bang your head on the bumper getting out from under the car each time until dizzy :-D

I always think that haynes manuals should grade jobs by the number of skinned knuckles and blood lost and expletives used

"It says here 3 plasters, 2 knuckes, a couple of f**kin' s, 3 cups o' tea :-o and bang your head on the bumper getting out from under the car each time until dizzy :-D

........that's even funnier, made my day!! :-D :-D :mrgreen:

I think you should add a large bottle of brandy or whiskey to the first aid kit for breakdowns, for situations when all else fails and you need to keep your spirits up. Especially when you're stranded in the cold and wet with no roof to your cab! :shake:

As to the history of the vehicle, it was manufactured in January 1945, taken on strength by the French army in 1954 and released in 1978. Since then I believe it has mostly been sitting in a barn. There are a few lamps missing and wires in the cab that go nowhere, but the body work is really good. I had to search quite hard before I found a single small patch of rust on one of the front wings.

Hmmm, no first aid for me this time.

Got lucky when extraxting a cotter pin on the starterlinkage I slipped and hit my elbow, luckily NOT very painful.

However lost of nasty diseases :argh: shouted when yet another thing didn't go my way...

Did enjoy a nice cup of tea and bisquits. :cofee:

Surely a contender for the 'Worst place to break down' trophy

Nice Truck Ghasp

I know well the sensation of waiting at the docks for your truck to arrive... very exciting... then driving it home 140-odd miles!

Actually, the idea of a trophy isn't bad. If there isn't one already, we should set one up. It might even make the agony of breaking down slightly more agreeable. If not the stories should give everyone else a laugh.

Actually, the idea of a trophy isn't bad. If there isn't one already, we should set one up. It might even make the agony of breaking down slightly more agreeable. If not the stories should give everyone else a laugh.

Ghasp...........that actually is a good idea.

Anyone else agree?

Yes, a very good idea. We should set some ground rules, give it a while longer to get everyones story in and then do a vote?

Tim (too)

Good point Tim, I think without doubt we will need photographic evidence..........

I will supply the prize (s)

It's hopefully going to be a schwere panzerspawagen sdkfz 231 6-rad replica by the time it's finished. I've always been interested in these vehicles, ever since Matchbox brought out 1:72 kit many years ago. It was originally thought that the 6-rads were retired from frontline use in 40/41, but my research has turned up extended use on the eastern front into 43/44. Also there is some evidence that when the 21st Panzer division reformed in early 1944 it may have taken some on strength. The reconnaissance unit was reformed from a training unit which could have brought their 6-rads with them. There's documented evidence that the 6th Airborne Armoured Reconnaissance made contact with a couple of 6-rads on D-day, just at the time Von Luck's kampf group of the 21st panzer (including the reconnaissance unit) went into action. I'm still investigating.