Liberty Belle emergency landing, all on board safe but plane burned up

N.O.S.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chibrknews-crews-responding-to-incident-involving-wwii-bomber-20110613,0,5852034.story

Desperately sad news breaking on U.S. news and the aviation forums. :-(

Just changed title as this was not a crash - an engine fire shortly after take-off resulted in an emergency landing, expertly executed by all accounts, but fire then took hold.

Edited by Jack

Very sorry to hear the news that another warbird, especially a heavy bomber, has been lost. At least on a positive point it did make a sucessfull emergency landing and all onboard where able to walk away.

We can only imagine how the Liberty Foundation must be feeling and I for one spent much of lastnight, thinking how very privaliged I was to fly in her back in 2008 over Suffolk and wondering how I can pay them back for that once in a lifetime flight.

Perhaps once the dust has settled and the Liberty Foundation has made a decision on whether to rebuild or not then I for one will be making a donation towards there cause.

By the intensity of the fire, I'd guess the airframe is only suitable for the salvage of small parts, engines, landing gear etc. Having seen the photos of B-17 'Mary Alice' being stripped down for restoration, the separated parts show just how complex a mechanism the B-17 is. Someone said that Don Brooks had a second B-17 recovered from a lake. Perhaps in time, 'Liberty Belle' will help resurrect this other B-17 to its former glory.

EDIT - The recovered B-17 - http://www.nwrain.net/~newtsuit/b17labrador/8-27-04.html

Edited by Jessie The Jeep