Duxford MV Show 19th June 2011

Who is going to this show? I have not been for about 7 years.

Does it get a good turnout these days? It used to be the number one show in the 1980s!

I can remember when the show alternated with the (now long gone) fire engine show, before the Land Warfare Hall and American Air Museum were built.

I'd say turn out tends to be less that the "good old days", lots of LRs and Jeeps, though the odd gem in the crowd. The 'peace dividend' means that there is no USAF visitors these days.

I thought the best recent one was the year they combined the event with a Rolls Royces Owners club show, and they dragged out a display of RR engined military vehicles.

jch

See also

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?23041-Duxford-MV-day

Duxford was my and my fellow schoolmates playground when we were kids. Long before the IWM took it over and at about the same time as the M11 was built and cut off the bottom of the runway. Back then the only thing flying were the Gliders from the club that used the runway and launched with a huge winch.

It was just a collection of abandoned buildings full of "Junk" and old hangers full of old "Junk" and we loved it. Schoolboys paradise.

Hate to think what some of that Junk would be worth now and what happened to it all!

Anyway it will be a welcome return to the old stomping ground and will have the trusty Crusader with me so if anyone gets stuck, breaks down or is otherwise bereft of motive power, look me and the family up, always a few tools on hand!!

Mike65

When you said 'should be up there with my 109' I thought what a lucky B owning a Messerschmitt Bf109 but it was only when you said about the dents and the paint that the penny dropped:cheesy:

If only, mind you you never know it may have been a recycled one it looks as though it has crash landed in a few places.

Mike

It was a good show in the end, despite the weather on Saturday!

I managed to get round the arena without going through too much mud, last time it took ages to wash it off......

Apologies to anyone who wanted a look, I got a bit wrapped up in Duxfords other attractions most of the day and ended up in the arena a good half an hour before my turn to go round.

I totally understand what Adrian means about time disappearing when you are looking around Duxford, even without the additional MV's to look at.

Anyway thought I would change this into a "show report" by throwing a few piccies in for you to enjoy.

Thought I would go for ones of vehicles doing what they were intended to do.

So here we go starting with

An old Scammell

A "small" Scammell (if there is such a thing)

And a bigger one

A "little" bike

and a bigger one.

Mike

DSC00413.jpg

DSC00427.jpg

DSC00446.jpg

DSC00447.jpg

DSC00429.jpg

DSC00430.jpg

OK here is where you find out that my MV identification starts to fall down.

How many people can you fit in a Jeep (& trailer)?

Some sort of US truck, always struggle with these)

Can't rember what the truck is but I am sure it is a Coles crane and that I once had an Airfix one.

This is a Morris.

M8 Greyhound

Havard (planes are much easier)

Please correct me where I am wrong,

Mike

DSC00409.jpg

DSC00414.jpg

DSC00419.jpg

DSC00437.jpg

DSC00442.jpg

DSC00453.jpg