Duxford MV Show 19th June 2011

OK here is where you find out that my MV identification starts to fall down.

Can't rember what the truck is but I am sure it is a Coles crane and that I once had an Airfix one.

Hi Mike,

The Coles crane is mounted on an Austin K6. it used to belong to a friend of mine until he sold it to the museum. Nice to see it out, still bearing the signs and numbers I painted on. When they bought it there was talk of it being marked up as RAF and put on display amongst the aircraft in the hangers.

Hi Mike,

The Coles crane is mounted on an Austin K6. it used to belong to a friend of mine until he sold it to the museum. Nice to see it out, still bearing the signs and numbers I painted on. When they bought it there was talk of it being marked up as RAF and put on display amongst the aircraft in the hangers.

It broke down on the runway drive around, was recovered by the Scammell

Firstly, Thanks to Mike for taking and posting the picture of my Scammell Crusader as we did the runway cavalcade, nice to see the old girl from the outside!

Secondly just wanted to say that myself and the family had a great couple of days up there and will certainly be heading back next year with a few of my other Scammells as well.

The weather was Kind to us and we managed to dodge the few heavy downpours on Saturday and the minor ones on Sunday.

Sadly I didn’t get to meet anyone from the forum although had some interesting conversations with a few ex Army and RAF guys who had driven the Crusaders in active service.... Many a tall tail and interesting anecdote and to know that they enjoyed the memories that my trusty workhorse invoked was certainly worth the trip alone.

My kids and maybe surprisingly, especially my daughter, were mesmerised by all the vehicles and all the participants dressed in all their military finest. I felt somewhat underdressed in a pair of levis! She now tells me that she wants a little one of her own, one like this she said as she pointed to a pristine Willy’s... Hmmm!!

She also begged me to take her for a ride on one of Duxfords 432’s and whooped with joy as the driver gave it some gas. My son on the other hand was hanging on for dear life and did not look at all comfortable... There again he is only 5 and only just scarped through the height regs so to be forgiven really.

All in all a great day out and thoroughly enjoyed by all.

Nigel

Missed the show this year but friends said it was the same old TESCO'S car park situation ...

Land rovers next to jeeps next to 60's British alongside post war American ..

why bother filling in the form with all that info as to the date of your vehicle when the park them up on a first come first served basis...

please be a little more creative with the parking ...

:cry:......

Missed the show this year but friends said it was the same old TESCO'S car park situation ...

Land rovers next to jeeps next to 60's British alongside post war American ..

why bother filling in the form with all that info as to the date of your vehicle when the park them up on a first come first served basis...

please be a little more creative with the parking ...

:cry:......

Maybe me being pedantic and just not "Getting it" but does it really matter where the vehicles are parked?

They are all within walking distance of each other and most are easily identifiable by shape / size.

The fact that so many ex forces vehicles are in one place at one time is surely the whole point and not what is parked next to each one.

Thats just my opinion but having my Crusader parked alongside some much smaller / older / grander vehicles didnt stop the few who wanted to see it searching it out. It also didnt stop one chap who called into question my parentage because I had the names of my kids emblazened on the front.... Not military spec you see!!

My answer to him was.... "No nor is the diesel that I put into the tank to bring it here so I could be abused by the likes of you!!"

Live and let live eh? Even if we are not all in the right place on the field, at least we made the effort!

Edited by Plantters

Maybe me being pedantic and just not "Getting it" but does it really matter where the vehicles are parked?

They are all within walking distance of each other and most are easily identifiable by shape / size.

The fact that so many ex forces vehicles are in one place at one time is surely the whole point and not what is parked next to each one.

Thats just my opinion but having my Crusader parked alongside some much smaller / older / grander vehicles didnt stop the few who wanted to see it searching it out. It also didnt stop one chap who called into question my parentage because I had the names of my kids emblazened on the front.... Not military spec you see!!

My answer to him was.... "No nor is the diesel that I put into the tank to bring it here so I could be abused by the likes of you!!"

Live and let live eh? Even if we are not all in the right place on the field, at least we made the effort!

Kind of agree with you there. I quite like the fact that everything is "jumbled up". It gives you the cahnce to compare the different vehicles to each other with relative ease.

I was parked next to a Jeep and a friend commented on how small it seemed compared to a 109.

Also lining/grouping everything would be a logistical nightmare.

Can't see the problem with putting your kids names on the truck either. Your truck your choice and at least it is there and working. After all how many of those "correct" jeeps and US vehicles with names on are oriiginal or just somebodies imagination.

After all what the book says and what actually happens can be 2 different things.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

As a photographer I don't want to have a 101 in the same shot as a GMC...

the show is just a jumbled box of exhibits ...no thought no imagination ..

because no one wants to spend some time to create a decent show..

This is a a perfect location and with 100% credentials..

How much do they charge to get into the museum ???? £18..??per adult

I only go because I get in free with a MV on show days.

Its no more that a Tesco's car park ..but worse than that the MV show is as far away

from the entrance as you can get ... you have all that Roadway which runs parallel to the main runway along side the

American museum , Aircraft referb hangers and Static aircraft displays...

Im sorry but there is no thought about Product display and marketing ...

EG how to show off our MV to the best ...

think of the best museums ... theme parks you have visited .. who are they trying to interset at the show..??

other MV owners or the general public ...who are they trying to educate and inform ...

stop preaching to the converted and start trying to interest and involve more of the general public ...

:yawn:

Used to come to this show a few years back but stopped after my dad passed away as we didn't have the enthusiasm to do as much shows as before.

Been thinking about doing this show next year for old times sake as we had some great times up at Duxford.