FWD in scrapyard

Puff

I feel so sad to hear that this FWD HAR snowblower is in a scrapyard in Perth now. It has been sat in Aberfeldy for god knows how long under a hedge, and it was only just over a month ago that my boyfriend and I went to see if it was still there.

I'm upset that the guy who owns this vehicle has decided to scrap it, instead of asking my dad about it (my dad has an FWD HAR 1 and they have been in contact in the past.) This would have made a great restoration project, or great for salvaging bits off it for his own vehicle. What makes it more sad is that the FWD is rare (this is only snowblower type that I know of in Britian) with only two other known FWD HAR 1's in the country. (Ben Rippingham and my dads)

There are a few more shots here of the inside and whatnot

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.221453024536712.82301.100000160473802&l=f5d9ff96c6

I feel sad at hearing this news

226290_221453061203375_100000160473802_1035155_201674_n.jpg

Yea we know what scrapyard its in and I've heard it has been put to one side at the moment. I hear that scrap per tonne is going at a good price at the moment...perhaps why they guy that had the FWD has decided to flog it :(

I feel so sad to hear that this FWD HAR snowblower is in a scrapyard in Perth What makes it more sad is that the FWD is rare (this is only snowblower type that I know of in Britian) with only two other known FWD HAR 1's in the country. (Ben Rippingham and my dads)

[/img]

There are several other former snowblower chassis/cab's FWD's about, another is being restored in sussex, there was a running one on ebay last year, was listed several times before it sold for not much money

Was out in Perth this morning trying to track it down to its current location - its still in once piece and been 'set aside' by the scrap merchant for the meantime since a number of people are taking an interest in it. It's down by the industrial estate by the harbour, right behind the prison. :-)

Given a chance, my dad would love to get his hands on parts of this FWD for his own he is currently restoring :-)

DSCF9098.jpg

:-) Hiya Ben, yea dad's making great progress with it - he's almost completed the body on his FWD now. He's always working away on it when he has a spare moment - can't get him away from it lol! Will add photos when I can get my hands on them x

cut to 'OA' size scrap (furnace feed....no more than 5' X 2' lumps basically) around these parts you can get £220 a tonne at the moment......if he's selling directly into a mill he could be getting a fair bit more than that per tonne....'oversize' is gonna a bit less so in one lump the guy is gonna want £150 a tonne for her I'd guess....what would she weigh? somewhere between 10 / 15 tonne?..

Its the old problem of simple arithmatic for the scrapyard.... unless the owner is a sympathetic fella towards rescue/restortion..........I've got a picture in a book somewhere of one of TW Wards scrapyards (a long gone but once massive scrap metal company in the UK) around 1947..... Sherman tanks are sitting, with one precariously balanced on top of the other in rows for as far as the eye can see.......it really is heartbreaking to think of what has been lamped up over the years....get in there and try and do a deal!:)

Edited by RattlesnakeBob
spelling mistake! tsk!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
Looks to good, complete and original for breaking, just a shame that it's a snow blower which are of little use or interest to most. I hope your father is making good progress with his truck.

regards

Ben

Hiya Ben,

my dad (Colin) made his maiden voyage with his FWD today! A great day for it, apart from the wind blowing right through the cab!

Still a hundred-and-one 'little bits' to do here and there, he says, but its roadworthy at last!

Karen Smith

DSCF7056.jpg

DSCF7060.jpg

DSCF7061.jpg

DSCF7068.jpg

DSCF7071.jpg

DSCF7072.jpg

DSCF7075.jpg

DSCF7089.jpg

WOW!!!!! An amazing resurection from what your dad (Colin) had to start with. The back body looks very precise and the restoration looks fantastic. A restoration that really demonstrates true grit and determination, especially as Colin has completed his restoration in just a few years!

thanks for posting the pictures

Ben

Thanks everyone with the nice comments - dad couldn't wait to get it on the road!

WOW!!!!! An amazing resurection from what your dad (Colin) had to start with. The back body looks very precise and the restoration looks fantastic. A restoration that really demonstrates true grit and determination, especially as Colin has completed his restoration in just a few years!

thanks for posting the pictures

Ben

Hiya Ben,

dad has dedicated a hell of a lot of his spare time to restoring the FWD to the way it is now, and like I said above, he couldn't wait to get it on the road for its first run! But what the photographs don't show you is how freezing cold and windy it was yesterday on the road run - the wind was blowing straight through the cab!!

Whenever my boyfriend and I come to visit him and mum, he's always keen to show us his progress and the next part he is going to tackle! Dad could tell you in more detail than what I ever could as to what he has done to the FWD the past few months though. I even had a shot of driving the FWD briefly back at Christmas time and it was great to try out (you could also say it has excellent brakes on it too, as dad found out to his dismay :D )

But so far so good, another milestone reached! :cheesy:

Edited by Puff

Lovely job on the restoration and I hate to see something so unusual and complete scrapped but the only way to rescue the snowblower is to go there with folding money, buy it and take it away. Although there are indeed several others around of which you are apparently unaware, it is still a very rare truck and consequently only of interest to a small number of people such as yourselves. You don't need to buy it as a project - in fact you don't even need to buy it complete. I'm sure for cash the scrappy will quite happily chop off the snowblower and the rear body leaving you with something much more manageable.

- MG

Did you manage to save the scrapped FWD?

@Puff, that is a very good looking truck!! Well done on the restoration!

Thanks everyone for the kind replies regarding my dads FWD - it's a labour of love :)

The FWD snowblower that's in the scrapyard is still there at this moment in time.

Out of interest, what would you do with the FWD snowblower? - buy it complete, or just buy bits of it to complete your own FWD (Use it as a 'donor' as such) if you had one?

Edited by Puff

Out of interest, what would you do with the FWD snowblower? - buy it complete, or just buy bits of it to complete your own FWD (Use it as a 'donor' as such) if you had one?

There is very little demand for a snowblower truck on the collector scene so I wouldn't feel too guilty seeing it broken up. It depends how much space you have for transport and storage but I would get the scrap man to cut the blower off the front and the body off the back so that you just have a chassis + cab. If that is too big for you to take care of then have him cut out the axles and drivetrain and anything worth having from the cab.

Whatever you do, don't umm and err for too long or it'll disappear! Also no doubt your scrappy will have convinced himself it's worth a fortune. You'll need to tread carefully but you could point him in the direction of posting Milweb and HMVF small ads. Make sure he has your number so that when no one is interested he contacts you before cutting it up.

- MG

• 1 year later...