Thompson's Water Seal spec change

R Cubed

Thought you might all need to take note Thompson's Water Seal has had a Formula change and is now NOT suitable for Canvas. It seems to have changed from spirit based to water based.

Take note when buying.....

Maybe, but the local place I get it from advised me that it is now not suitable for canvas, now I do not know why but suspect it wont repel the water or might even damage the canvas, they have been told by their supplier and have put up a sign on the shelf by it !!!!!!

Can anyone find out more info ?

Just found this link to a forum which includes a reply from the makers saying it is not not suitable to use on artificial or manmade fibres.........well that surely does not include real canvas, does it?

http://www.ybw.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-259461.html

No, real canvas is cotton. Apparently Oil Cloth was originally treated with linseed oil. Might be useful if you wish to 'paint' canvas as linseed oil was used as a paint base.

No, real canvas is cotton.

I know, and that was the point I was making. Going by a reply from Thompsons on that yachting forum I linked, they have altered the product and it should not be used with any manmade artificial or plastic type fabrics from now on. Similar statement on the data page that Ruxy linked as well. So if it is real cotton or flax canvas no problem still. That is the way I read it anyhow.

Right , ventured into the local Hombase. There were two Thompsons water seal on display, the 'New Improved' and the Ultra. BOTH say do not use on Artifical or manmade fibres or natural rubber. (Though surley any artifical fibre is manmade?)There is available in aresol a Thompson fabric and leather proofer. So I'm going to send some scurrying electrons off to Thompson's and ask if the fabric proofer is available in larger tins.

Reply from Thompson's tech people.

Thank you for your enquiry. However, the formula was changed on the Water

Seal and the new formula is not suitable for use on any materials. It is

only suitable for brickwork,stone work. I am sorry to say we no longer have

a product suited to your requirements. I regret to be of little assistance

on this occasion.

Saddelery shops do sell waterproffer in bulk for canvas horse rugs.

BUT - in their Tech. Data Sheet as far as I know they never ever stated it was suitable as duck proofer. They sell treatments for brick walls !! They would not suggest suitable for anything outside their control..

I used to use Grangers Fabsil (fabricsilicon) on tents , then I joined a sailing club and was advised nobody used Fabsil for Lake District sunshine protection - everybody used Febsil (FEB Building Products , brick silicon sealer) , because it was the same stuff. I don't think it is in the FEB range now ?

Everbuild Superseal - will be the same stuff (just had a perusal of the tech data sheet).

I have used a few of this type of product on tentage duck and heavier type canvas - no problems.

I have even sprayed tilts with cellulose OD paint - and it has never attacked the polyester stitching..

BUT - in their Tech. Data Sheet as far as I know they never ever stated it was suitable as duck proofer. They sell treatments for brick walls !! They would not suggest suitable for anything outside their control..

Try this link here, especially the paragraph, "Fields of Application", mentions cotton, leather, etc. plainly. Obviously being dated 2008 this was for the older formula, but they still stated it.

http://www.thompsonsweatherproofing.co.uk/datasheets/waterseal.pdf

That is the self & same tech. data sheet that as far as I can determine is on their present web-site ,, seems the person at Thompsons who answered the enquiry does not know what they are talking about.

Two years ago I emailed Ronseal (Sherwin Williams) and asked if their metal paint (similar to ICI Hammerite) contained silicone oil - they said no.. A few weeks later they contacted me again and stated in fact that it did contain silicone oil. A bit too late as I had used it , quite high in silicone oil I would say but it seems to wash off the surface after about 1 year exposure..