Jeep 24-YH-46

Pete Ashby

Question

Tracing post war census numbers is a new field for me so I wonder if any of you guys can help out.

I have recently picked up a GPW with a frame plate on the drivers frame rail which lists the post war census number as 24-YH-46 my question is this where do I go to start tracking down the vehicles record card with a view to tracing its service history and hopefully by back reference its war time 'M' number.

I remember this sort of information used to be kept at the now defunct Beverly museum, I used it on several occasions to obtain contract cards for WW11 vehicles but I’m not sure where to start with post war numbers, any help appreciated

Thanks

Pete

• Answers 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

I bought my YH Jeep fairly recently and it's great but I'm interested in its history, I've sent off to deepcut and waiting to see if anything returns. But also I was wondering what 'S Repair' means on the brass identification plate?

BrassPLate_zpsafabb019.jpg

Thanks

Interesting, I thought the plate probably came from when it was overhauled. It's obviously been rebuilt as the bottom layer of paint is British Green and both the body and chassis numbers have been removed, although you can get partial readings. Oh well I guess I will never know! Although I am happy knowing that I have a good GPW chassis with F marks things like hangers and bumperetts and an original war time body.

23 hours ago, chris golding said:

hi have jeep 57-yh-48. I to would like some details if possible, cheers, chris.

I'd suggest you go to the WW2 British Army Jeep Research Group on Face Book  most British operated  jeep owners are there and it's the place to go for a huge data base on post war YH numbers.   You may even be lucky and find a photo of your truck in the comprehensive photo files

Pete