Jeep 24-YH-46

Pete Ashby

Question

Tracing post war census numbers is a new field for me so I wonder if any of you guys can help out.

I have recently picked up a GPW with a frame plate on the drivers frame rail which lists the post war census number as 24-YH-46 my question is this where do I go to start tracking down the vehicles record card with a view to tracing its service history and hopefully by back reference its war time 'M' number.

I remember this sort of information used to be kept at the now defunct Beverly museum, I used it on several occasions to obtain contract cards for WW11 vehicles but I’m not sure where to start with post war numbers, any help appreciated

Thanks

Pete

• Answers 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

Clive,

Don't suppose you have the details for 53YH48? Richard

Richard I'm afraid I haven't.

I've looked through catalogues for:

March 1957

July 1957

Sept 1957

Nov 1957

March 1958 (9-day sale!)

June 1959

Some 1957 sales you could get 10 Jeeps for £600.

Hi Pete,

I do have the Fleet data booklet for YH and would suggest that you write to the Road Transport Fleet Data Society at 18 Poplar Close, Biggleswade, Beds SG18 0EW to ask them if you can join them (the fee is very reasonable) and purchase a copy of the YH and YJ booklets (don't quote me, but they used to be something like £3 each).

I think Peter Jarman is still involved. Have tried to find a web-site for them, but nothing accurate except some fire engine/ambulance lists on other sites.

They do appear though to still be 'around' as the dates are early 2011. Price of a stamp might get you a useful booklet.

Jeeps start at 09YH and yours has Nov of 1957 next to it.

Hope this helps you;

BW.Mike.

Thanks for the heads up Mike I'll see if I can get a copy

Pete

Hi Pete, I also have a YH jeep, 49 YH 39 with british stamped chassis 45602.

I also want to obtain records- when i have a few minutes soon!!!

Regards Gerry275

Gerry

good for you, there seems to be a significant number of us on here with YH series jeeps follow the thread down there is some useful information appearing

Pete

24 YH 46 was Lot No.1170H which was part of Lot No.1170 comprising:

A Ford 97 YH 09

B Ford 56 YH 68

C Willys 54 YH 30

D Willys 51 YH 64

E Ford 14 YH 65

F Willys 13 YH 35

G Ford 21 YH 38

H Ford 24 YH 46

I Ford 22 YH 56

J Willys 57 YH 17

This was Sale No. 38 which was a 5-day sale. This was sold on the 3rd day being Wed 13th November 1957. Although sold at MOS Storage Depot, Ruddington the vehicles themselves were viewed at 72 "B" Vehicle Depot, RAOC, Market Harborough.

I don't have a record of the price realised but Lots of 10 Jeeps seemed to realise £700.

Clive

thank you very much for this information another very significant piece of the jigsaw has been added with your information

regards

Pete

Clive. Try May of 1956.

Sorry don't have any for that year just these:

I've looked through catalogues for:

March 1957

July 1957

Sept 1957

Nov 1957

March 1958 (9-day sale!)

June 1959

Then the collection starts again in 1967.

Sorry don't have any for that year just these:

Then the collection starts again in 1967.

Hi FV1609, hope you dont mind me asking, do you have any info on 49YH39- she had FIeld repair 5/56 mtrs no, B398 inspection wv3/129.

Regards Gerry275

Sorry Gerry nothing on 49 YH 39. The nearest was 49 YH 24 on 13/11/57 but that of course has no relationship to yours, but it does show my few catalogues only cover a tiny proportion of what was registered.

There were particular sale days, 2nd or 3rd day generally, with Jeeps in big batches. But there a few Army ones slotted in here & there. The RN & civil licensed Jeeps are not in batches but just here & there, no doubt reflecting the small numbers issued.

Sorry Gerry nothing on 49 YH 39. The nearest was 49 YH 24 on 13/11/57 but that of course has no relationship to yours, but it does show my few catalogues only cover a tiny proportion of what was registered.

There were particular sale days, 2nd or 3rd day generally, with Jeeps in big batches. But there a few Army ones slotted in here & there. The RN & civil licensed Jeeps are not in batches but just here & there, no doubt reflecting the small numbers issued.

Many thanks for looking- I have sent off re Data society re joining, to try and get YH booklet.

Thanks again

Gerry

Hi Gerry,

In the RTFD publications (which I hope you manage to get a hold of), only certain Jeep numbers have a date next to them. It just so happens that it appears to be the preserved ones, which have a date, (a release/cast date?) next to them.

Happy reading!

bw,

Mike.

Hi Mike, Thanks for that.i sent off to ask re joining etc.

From what i can work out previous owner purchased it late 50's-early 60's. He spent since 1991 trying to get reg back(managed it spring 2010 with help of MVT/Dallas autos) and last time on road poss early 70's.

Regards Gerry

Hi everyone. I have got the key card to my jeep 20YH23 and was wondering what CBR/1/1054 might be, its also appeared in the key card previously in this thread by HIHU. also unit from is listed as SM.2275 Any ideas?

Phil

Hi Phil,

CBR would relate to the RAOC "B" Vehicle Depot at Church Broughton, a storage facility. SM2275 was the contract number of the jeeps supplied under lease lend, SM meaning Supply Mech.

Hi Phil,

Good to hear you got your keycard- mine also came through on thursday!:D

Regards

Gerry

Hi everyone. I have got the key card to my jeep 20YH23 and was wondering what CBR/1/1054 might be, its also appeared in the key card previously in this thread by HIHU. also unit from is listed as SM.2275 Any ideas?

Phil

Thanks Richard for the info, also was wondering when would these key cards have been issued, any idea?

Hi Phil,

The Key Cards came in to being when the vehicle numbering system was changed from Census numbers ( for instance, a jeep M1234567 ) were changed to the 2digits-2letters-2digits style around 1948-9. They show the previous number, chassis number and contract number, as well as struck off / disposal date. Occasionally a little bit of extra history can be obtained from them, like last unit or disposed of from BAOR or MELF, so you know roughly where they last served. The record cards previous to the re-numbering were destroyed on completion of the operation.

Cheers Gerry, its nice to have a little of the jeeps history. Mine had none at all as the original chassis number had almost dissapeared. It wasn`t until I had it shot blasted that I found it restamped on the rear cross member.

Phil

Hi Phil, Haynes "Military Jeep" mentions SM2275 fords 41 and Mb 41/42 inc. hood no. and quantitys.

Regards Gerry

Very interesting reading on this thread - having run our Jeep just over a year now its really quite nice to have a "British" vehicle and find that they were in everyday military use for so long. Is there a register of survivors anywhere do you know, having been surprised and pleased to see 36 YH 32 & 71 YH 99 at the Beaulieu show back in May, standing out amongst the US jeeps....