Spartan/Scimitar Hybrid.

Bazz

My "relative" works at the ATDU at Bovvy and has told me there is an abundance of Spartans in Storage that have little or no mileage on them since dieselisation took place and that is what is being used.

Bet someone is kicking themselves that they flogged off the longer Stormers, would have made an interesting platform.

Wonder how it handles being short and higher like that? One wonders if they have created a new rollover myth?

See that the hull registration is not part of the early numbers yet it has the early format ie 09 FD 31

Bet Soldier magazine will have a blurb on it very soon as they always champion new kit.

Oh well, its another one Andrew Baker doesn't have in his collection, as yet!!

Bet it will sell better than a 432 at Withams unless they keep the turret to slap on top of. . . . . . . what next?

R

There have been rumours of this vehicle for a while now... Shame they couldnt come up with a more original name...!

As I understood it one of the reasons for using the Spartan hull was to make the driver less vulnerable than in the turreted CVRTs...something to do with them not being as low down to the floor.

Now I do have knocking about somewhere a Scimitar awaiting resto, as well as a Spartan and a Samson so if somebody could get me a dozer blade we could be in business..! Would the swingfire bins fit on the back I wonder..?!

Couple of further observations:

Weight - guessing this now weighs quite a bit more and even with the 235bhp engine and associated upgrades to final drives, suspension and gearbox this must now be getting to the point where it is starting to struggle esp with all the added armour and gubbins. It does also look like it must be more top heavy...perhaps not as bad as Fox, but must still be a consideration..? (yes yes I know Fox fans it is all about how you drive it etc etc)..

'Spoiler' still looks chavvy..!

Finally I think that is Mick in the blue T shirt and baseball cap...

Cheers

• 3 months later...

I took this video about 6 weeks ago at Bovvy where they were doing the QDG Instructor course

Looks a doozy bit of kit and I reckon the height will help for looking over the compounds (and give a bot of added oomph to the locals)

Something went wrong...

Edited by mjstubley

with that much weight up top it really needs another road wheel station to calm it down a bit, pitches pretty badly.

R

Robin

From that brief bit of footage it does seem to pitch around a fair bit - maybe Stormer hulls would have been a better option and achieved the same end.

As for cracking, as I understood it these were all new build hulls so shouldn't happen for a while yet.

Cheers