scammell amazon

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She does look rather smart now doesnt she!

Andy, were the tractor unit and trailer a matched unit when they came to the collection or have they been married for expediency sake?

What will you guys put on the trailer as a load? What about Whoopee lights on the cab?

R

She does look rather smart now doesnt she!

Andy, were the tractor unit and trailer a matched unit when they came to the collection or have they been married for expediency sake?

What will you guys put on the trailer as a load? What about Whoopee lights on the cab?

R

yes they were a matched pair when acquired,and she can pull the girder trailer as well if required but will probably just be used for carrying the m74 when thats done as its a nice small load,as its not as easy to manouver as the contractor which is lower geared.its first job will be to go and pick johns antar up to bring back for restoration for use with the dyson 50 ton trailer.amazon will have just one whoopee light on top of wide load box and trailer has 2 on back end,as they allways go out with escourt vehicle to be safe

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Might I ask what the difference is Amazon V Crusader, I used to drive 2 Crusaders, 1 had an 8v71 Detroit motor the other had a 280 R/R, both trucks were double drive, also I know of another Scammell that is for sale, it has a Rotzler winch and a 3"1/2 gimble style plate, but the chassis looks a lot stronger than the Crusader set up, would it be an Amazon, its fitted with a R/R 305 motor, how can you tell the Amazon from the Crusader, as I am realy tempted to have a pop at doing a deal on the banger, I used to have a 980 T upto about 4 years ago, but the Scammell has something that draws me like a moth, with an asking price that fits well with me, I must admit to no knowledge of the Amazon, it looks a bang on bit of Hardwear.

Fairbairn Sykes

Might I ask what the difference is Amazon V Crusader, I used to drive 2 Crusaders, 1 had an 8v71 Detroit motor the other had a 280 R/R, both trucks were double drive, also I know of another Scammell that is for sale, it has a Rotzler winch and a 3"1/2 gimble style plate, but the chassis looks a lot stronger than the Crusader set up, would it be an Amazon, its fitted with a R/R 305 motor, how can you tell the Amazon from the Crusader, as I am realy tempted to have a pop at doing a deal on the banger, I used to have a 980 T upto about 4 years ago, but the Scammell has something that draws me like a moth, with an asking price that fits well with me, I must admit to no knowledge of the Amazon, it looks a bang on bit of Hardwear.

Fairbairn Sykes

the main difference between the 2 is the back end,if the tie bars between the axles are straight it is a crusader 35t,if the tie bars are canted inwards it is an amazon as they were fitted with a contractor back end, ie 100ton also the gearboxes are different,amazon is lower geared

the main difference between the 2 is the back end,if the tie bars between the axles are straight it is a crusader 35t,if the tie bars are canted inwards it is an amazon as they were fitted with a contractor back end, ie 100ton also the gearboxes are different,amazon is lower geared

Amazon chassis rails are a lot deeper, just measured my Crusader and they are 10" deep.

Thank you for your info, this Scammell that is for sale looks nothing like the standard Crusader spec, I did expect the military spec to be better, but this old chariot is a fair chunk of iron, the cab has been repaired to the highest standard, and is a credit to the lad that set about it, i will be "placing the Tape" on the Chassis rail asap, again thanks for the info.

Fairbairn Sykes

Thank you for your info, this Scammell that is for sale looks nothing like the standard Crusader spec, I did expect the military spec to be better, but this old chariot is a fair chunk of iron, the cab has been repaired to the highest standard, and is a credit to the lad that set about it, i will be "placing the Tape" on the Chassis rail asap, again thanks for the info.

Fairbairn Sykes

if possible get a picture or 2 of the back end axle tie bars and winch should confirm what it is for you

• 1 month later...

well all back safe and sound no dramas at all suprised us both how easy it started after 5 years outside,put batteries on plus the jump lead and fired straight up but its in a bit of a state as the local tykes have disrobed her and smashed all the glass and gauges,nothing that not fixable and the amazon performed admirably 310 mile round trip left at 5.30 am and got back to bordon at 5.15 pm considering she only will do average 35mph . a few pics plus a video for robin !!!!

007 (2).jpg

008 (2).jpg

009 (2).jpg

010 (2).jpg

014 (2).jpg

015.jpg

Dear Andy,

For a 12 hour day to only produce 53 seconds of video is a bit below par, even for you.:nono::whistle::iloveyou:

I think you must have footage of it loading up onto the trailer.

I know you are teasing me . . . . tell me there is more footage!:clap::kissoncheek::hug:

Robin

Dear Andy,

For a 12 hour day to only produce 53 seconds of video is a bit below par, even for you.:nono::whistle::iloveyou:

I think you must have footage of it loading up onto the trailer.

I know you are teasing me . . . . tell me there is more footage!:clap::kissoncheek::hug:

Robin

Hope you don't mind me jumping it with the link Andy ..

Here you go Robin

What was the Antar doing in Lincolnshire anyway just to be nosey ? Any idea what the fuel consumption was on the Amazon for the whole trip ?

the antar was stored there as john lived up there at the time,it was covered up and looked after but the yard owned by the company went into receivership and it all went down hill with the local pond life getting in there as no one was on site.

the amazon averaged about 3.5 miles to the gallon which is not bad considering empty weight is 31 tons plus 18 tons more with the antar on the way back