Knowing the Stevens brothers as I do, you just might want to....

Jack

Jack, This fish and chip convoy.Is that the same as Dorset chips ???

ksu406

Mate, nothing could be as good as the Dorset F&C convoy. Do you think the Sad Lads Army Group could make the Dorset F&C convoy an annual event?

This is the younger brother of the two reporting in Jack!

Yes, after a great deal of interest in staging another Gathering of Eagles next year, we felt that holding the event every year in Aldbourne could jeopardise our good relationship with the village and its people.

Therefore after much egging on by Neil to resurrect our famous Red Ball Express heavy convoys from the early 1990's when petrol was 10 bob a gallon and you could take the entire convoy out from Marlborough and across Salisbury Plain without the British Army thinking you were a terrorist target, we have decided to organise another WWII Allied vehicle convoy event.

Seeing that I have now been away from Marlborough since 2002 and up here in glorious Lovejoy County, I decided that I would organise the event a little closer to home for a change! Base HQ for this three day event will therefore be in Framlingham, Suffolk - very close to the famous wartime airfield of Parham where the US Army Air Forces Eighth Air Force - 390th Bombardment Group flew their B-17's from for the bulk of their time spent flying operations from British soil.

The event itself is aimed at exactly the same type of participants that attended Gathering of Eagles in Wiltshire, but with a slant towards the USAAF rather than the US Airborne Paratroopers - But hey, we don't want to turn anyone away - All Allied vehicle collectors and re-enactors are welcome to attend, just as long as you wear the kit properly and with respect for the men who had to wear those uniforms for real.

We will take the convoy out on a different route on each of the three days where Ed Abbott aboard his trusty Matchless will guide us through the leafy lanes of rural Suffolk - Just like he did so well back in May at Aldbourne. Highlights will include a visit to a private airstrip to view an impressive collection of fully operational WWII warbirds and the opportunity to get up close and personal with a P-51 Mustang. Weather permitting, the aircraft will also no doubt take to the skies but there is also an excellent aviation museum on-site honouring the men who flew from this airfield.

The evenings will also be packed with a host of things to keep everyone amused including a 1940's jitterbug dance (optional of course!) and illustrated talks by WWII historians and authors telling the wartime history of this particular region of Eastern England. Neil is also preparing a presentation called '36 Wright Cyclones' - detailing his trip to Willow Run, Michigan last year to see the Thunder Over Michigan airshow, where the largest gathering of operational B-17's & B-24's amassed to wow the crowd - and he even got to fly aboard the bombers and take some great video!

It is also hoped to include WWII Veterans in the event, but at this stage things are still very sketchy.

So if you have a WWII vehicle and you fancy an action packed three day event in East Anglia from the organisers of some of the very best WWII vehicle and living history events over the past 15 years, then look no further. You will truly have a weekend to remember - Just ask webmaster Jack for a reference!

Suffolk has an active MVT Area with many GMC and Diamond-T's amongst its ranks. Phil Benham from Wiltshire has already expressed a very keen interest to bring several of his low-loaders full of classic War Metal to the event, along with several others from the South.

As a little aside, my love of Suffolk came from when I first visited the county in 1992 to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the USAAF's arrival in England. Having driven my father's GMC 352 from Marlborough in Wiltshire to Framlingham in Suffolk, a distance of some 185 miles, I am aware that this event is not going to be on everyone's doorstep! So Jack, I don't want to hear you claiming that its too far to bring that splendid GMC - We did it back in 1992 and had the time of our lives and look where it leaded - We now have a house on the edge of a WWII heavy Bomber airfield on the Norfolk/Suffolk border and I have a P-51 Mustang trying to take the TV aerial off the roof of my house on most weekends during the Summer months - Heaven!

Anyone who wants further info on OPERATION BOLERO - Tour of the Dromes, please feel free to contact me on willowrun@talktalk.net or on the phone numbers on the colour poster .

Cheers

Clive D Stevens

Sorry Jack, us post war owners are not invited! :-o

Thankfully we will miss the 40's dance :-D

Yet another MVT bash where the postwar owners aren't catered for?? lets play spot the postwar vehicle on the MVT Xmas card this year, that won't take long :x

Yes that is a good point Lee and no to sure of the answer to that one. Maybe it is because post war had very little know effect on our country - go abroad and you may have more luck. WW2 as we all know has had a long lasting physical effect on this country and will continue to do so.

Perhaps the Cold/post war guys need to start an event that caters for there pleasures - I would certainly attend as an MoP. Has this ever been tried?

We are going up for this one and I would like to take my GMC but driving that far is out of the question :cry:

Clive mentioned that some guys are highing load loaders to get their vehicles over to Suffolk.

Is anyone interested in pooling funds to do the same down here....Dorset - Devon - Hants?

This sounds like a great event.

Sadly its too far for me to take the Dodge (lake district :roll:)

What are the overnight facilities? Camping etc?

& could we (those without vehicles) get lifts with those who have... pretty please!

I could even offer my services as a driver... if anyone is in need!

Cheers

Rupert

Afternoon Gents (and ladies!) :wink:

It is worth me pointing out that those members who find the distance of travelling to Suffolk with a military vehicle prohibitive are very welcome to still attend the event in a 'foot passanger' capacity!

Hopefully we will have enough empty GMC cargo trucks that people will be able to hop aboard and make a fuel donation towards the driver's expenses as appropriate. However, if everybody thinks this way then we will have a lot of foot passengers journeying from all across the uk to witness a real impress convoy of pedestrians stood in a field :-o :-o

The event will only be as successful as the participants make it. I can lay down all the ground work in the world, but without trucks trundling through the gateway the event will be a non event.

In a more postive light, I had an incredible amount of interest shown towards the event at Malvern Militaria on Sunday last. Several hundred flyers disappeared to many passers by and many people voiced there interest, including a family who brought the Willys MB to Aldbourne last year and are now also committing to OPERATION BOLERO!

Phil Benham from Wiltshire has confirmed that he is bringing one of his low-loaders with a Diamond-T 969 and GMC 353 aboard. Better than that, he has also willingly agreed to transport Adrian Barrell's Sherman M4A4 and Allis-Chalmers High Speed tractor to the event to accompany Richard Doy's M18 Hellcat and Steve Silburn's International M5A1 Half-track on the WWII Armour Front. Naturally these vehicle will not be participating in the convoys but will provide much enjoyment for all concerned in the 20 acre field designated for demonstrating heavy armour.

As far as low-loader hire is concerned, Andrew Blackford from Calne in Wiltshire is hoping to bring his Damond-T 969 wrecker on a lorry, but looking at the photographs of the restoration at the weekend, he still has a long way to go - almost bare chassie! None the less, if I know Andrew, he will have it done and probably only too pleased to share a low loader if 2 trucks will fit on. (Contact me for his contact details if anyone is interested.)

I must also stress that the location we are using as our BOLERO HQ is not open to the public. This is mainily due to heath and safety issues, but moreso for our own security, as we will naturally not be at base camp all of the time. The general public will be advised however where best to position themselves to watch the convoy trundle through the Suffolk countryside.

Lots of things are coming together and as organiser, its exciting times!

Watch this space.

Cds

Don't know of anyone as yet looking to make the pilgrimage from Dorset or Hants, but will keep you advised as the weeks progress. Its still early-doors for most people and are currently worrying about whether to get a real or artificial Christmas Tree rather than making any firm committments as to what shows and events they are going to do in 2007 :-D

Camping is available on-site, but facilities are limited. Fresh water will be available and I will hire some toilets for our use over the weekend. Electric hook-ups are few in numbers but we have PLENTY of space to accommodate everyone. The wind can blow a little off the East coast so bring plenty of tent pegs :wink:

Cds

aye up lads

good to see some activity on this ere internetty thing,tha can trust us yorkshire folk to be aving a ride down to the uther end o`t country to see them stevens bruvers ant`t like, ave fish an tatty bit sea ,an ride round country lanes, champion...meby get 1/2 ton dodge panel on`t road be then.........maybe asking things to much ...it`ll be on road about same time yon younger bruver get`s that tank job done.

looks like another great event bank on the smith,roberts & gray crew...maybe even get slingo to come along

jonny loot