Anyone know what this is?

Sean N

It's a M2A2 Light tank modifed and without its twin turrets (the M2A2 was called the Mae West tank after a well endowed vauderville actress of the pre war period).

There are other converted tanks around these bases I think 3 M2A2s and a tractor T3A2 or A3 in total -a second M2A2 should lie on it's side about 15 metres to the right of the tank shown.

I think Hanno MCSPOOL did an article on these once in AFV news back in the days of paper and quill pens.

No worries it's only because I'm old enough to remember old magazines back to the 1990s and not old enough yet to have my brains turn to mush:shocked:.

Unless you've seen an article about these ant-artic tractors the photo itself isn't good enough to give an ID as the suspension and rear idler isn't visible nor are the roof plates of the fighting compartment -so the generic term Stuart M3 is a good guess, at least the familly is right:D

Steve,

I hope you've got the floors strengthened to cater for all that paperwork and those books, if you have any doubts, I'm sure Rick can pop around and dot some ceiling jacks around your living room;) You wouldn't even notice them after a few years.....

amjac

if you have any doubts, I'm sure Rick can pop around and dot some ceiling jacks around your living room;)

Hi Alastair,

why do you think i've got these:cool2:

Apart from Electrical testing what do you think I do when the authorities haven't ****ed up the economy, a few years ago I had to assist in putting up a library -in the attic:wow: for one of the retiring professors at one of our unis, it just as well we could use the engineering and architecture depts. to double check the calculations -needless to say -multiple steel beams - and a smaller version of those wind out shelving used in large libraries and government depts. but typically for a humanities prof he was more taken with the traditional pretty carpentry shevles around the walls. -G'd knows what will happen when it comes to the time to sell the house -I want to be there to hear the estate agent explain the "rail tracks" on the floor.:cheesy:

IMAG0085.jpg

Hi Alastair,

why do you think i've got these:cool2:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]42477[/ATTACH]

Apart from Electrical testing what do you think I do when the authorities haven't ****ed up the economy, a few years ago I had to assist in putting up a library -in the attic:wow: for one of the retiring professors at one of our unis, it just as well we could use the engineering and architecture depts. to double check the calculations -needless to say -multiple steel beams - and a smaller version of those wind out shelving used in large libraries and government depts. but typically for a humanities prof he was more taken with the traditional pretty carpentry shevles around the walls. -G'd knows what will happen when it comes to the time to sell the house -I want to be there to hear the estate agent explain the "rail tracks" on the floor.:cheesy:

Sir Alec Issigonis of Mini fame had train tracks running out of his house around the garden and back. I remember seeing a program about his life and the production company revisiting his old house.

Could be worse it could be a fully equipped dungeon that the estate agent has to sell.... thwack!

Well I have seen it before! Being a professional photographer, I also monitor a few photo forums. One of which organizes photo expeditions all over the world. Even to extreme places like the south pole! I can't find the photo, but a few years ago one of those tanks popped up. There are at least 2 down there. Upon further investigation, I found this video:

Don' blink at minute 1:48!! ;)

http://www.realmilitaryvideos.com/wwii-allies/antarctic-expedition-the-controversial-1946-mission-to-antarctica/

Very rare to find footage of the actual vehicle!

Unless you've seen an article about these ant-artic tractors the photo itself isn't good enough to give an ID...

Is it just me or is the slope of the glacis plate and detail on it different to the M3? Maybe it's just the photo, but it just didn't say M3 to me.

That one in the video may not be the same one, though Stonington was originally a USAS base from '39. Good to see it though, thanks.

Sean N

Is it just me or is the slope of the glacis plate and detail on it different to the M3?

It's just you:D the shape of all the light tanks from the T5 combat car and T2 light tank through to M3A1 had the same basic toe plate, glacis, drivers/co-drivers plate configuration, including the MG casting, allowing for change of thickness of armour and details. It might look different because the bullet deflector bars are missing -possibly removed as the penguins had failed to develop an effective machine gun force:laugh:.

The tracked vehicle shown at 1.48 in the movie was probably an M2A2 used at the West base which had wided track. There were supposed to two M2A2 at the West Camp. According to some reports the wided tracks were steel extensions welded to the standard track like wartime end connectors, although to me it looks more like a rubber track T27 trialed on the M1E3 -but could be anything really.