Bedford QL

ACH

You right it properly be best if you could find a rotten QL.

There is some pictures of QL in the Scrap yard thread you might have some luck there.

One of my friends has a crane looking a bit like the on this QLB, it is danish made and fitted to Bedford RL that is forsale at the moment. you can see it here http://www.veteranposten.dk/visAnn.asp?Id=57127

Cheers

CIMG2501.jpg

CIMG4553.jpg

48080.jpg

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here is a couple of pics of a customers QL that I have had in for some work, chassis blasted and repainted along with the body and cab, I will see if i can get a pic of it now the body is back on.I also had to fit a new hip ring that was obtaind.it was handy that the original hole was still in the roof and that it had just been covered with a alloy plate. This was removed and all holes welded up, leaving just the hipring fixing holes.

Howard

IMAG0377.jpg

IMAG0376.jpg

Edited by HWade

Hi,

With reference to your "buy another with a rotten cab" comment, I have a mate who is storing (for another friend of his) a very sorry looking QL. He has made a couple of attempts at selling it to me, but it want's far too much work for me to take on. It's a GS bodied one, from memory, the body isn't actually too bad, although it has a twist to it as one or more of the mounts has gone west. The cab is a bit of a horror story though, and I don't know how complete it is. I am sure though, combined with yours, there's enough to make a good start at getting one tidy truck from the two.

Would you like me to ask him if it's for sale still? The last time I was at his place it was still there.

All the best, Glen.

Definately interested Glen if you could find out how much he wants and some pics.

My books arrived today, it'll take me a while to get through them.

I saw that QL in the scrap yard thread, is that the yard the north side of Ipswich and I thought it had gone. If I remember correctly there was one sitting in a derelict yard the other side of Norwich.

Neils - nice QL wrecker

Hi,

I had a word with my mate today - the one who's storing the QL. I think he'd be pleased if it found a new home! He said he'd ask the owner if he'd consider selling it, and if so at what kind of money.

If they do turn out to want to sell, and the price is right, I'll try and organise some pictures.

If I hear anything I'll send you a message.

All the best, Glen.

That's marvellous mate.

I have been given two wheels today for it, got to go and collect them from a little village, thanks to Richard Cowles who transported the truck for me.

...I saw that QL in the scrap yard thread, is that the yard the north side of Ipswich and I thought it had gone. If I remember correctly there was one sitting in a derelict yard the other side of Norwich. ...

Yes, it was in the old timber yard at Needham Market. There when I took the photos and posted them. I think it has been sold now.

There were two for many years in a garden behind the church just up from Easton's yard at Bunwell. Then there was one, and now there are none. Maybe these are the ones you were thinking of?

Do you still want those new RL rims? Of course we were both much younger then - time moves very slowly in these parts as you well know :-D

Edited by N.O.S.
speling

No, I saw one at the back of Ipswich last year, I was going to pick up and engine, I just can't remember where it was.

Yes I definately still want those rims, I've just been busy with other things lately. Do we still need to get the tyres off (I haven't made my thingamybobit). Cheers mate.

I think I might have to look for a QL with a rotten cab as there's so much missing to put it back to anything near original...

I passed through Market Harborough today on the train and there is a yard just north of the station with what looked like a QL chassis/cab - the cab looking very rusty. (I only got a quick look as the train passed by.)

The yard contained all sorts of interesting vehicles, so no doubt someone on here will know who to contact - and apologies to the owner for any unwelcome attraction this may give.

Runflat - I think I was given the chaps telephone number today by somebody walking past the yard today who saw the truck, that's a hell of a coincidence.

NOS it sounds like a days work, oh god!

Spent a couple of hours steam cleaning the chassis, looks a bit better now, well cleaner, all that WD40 I've been spraying on bits will actually penitrate now rather than just soaking into the dirt. I've added a couple of pics of where the chassis is hacked off at the back by some monkey with a gas axe, must have been wearing a blind fold as well. There is also some rather nasty flakey corrosion on the chassis channels, the worst bit being where the chassis cross member is behind the cab.

Have found some markings on the front axle casing, looks like it's on the original paint work that doesn't steam off as easily. They are OEP220.

Bedford QLT 8.JPG

Bedford QLT 9.JPG

Bedford QLT 10.JPG

Bedford QLT 11.JPG

Are, so I take it that would just equate to an SAE 90 GL1 with an anti-foaming agent. I suppose anything higher than GL2 would bugger the axles up.

No that's not the name I've been given, perhaps I misheard, I do have a memory like a sive.

Well spent most of Saturday making room to get the QL in the building, put my spare ramp outside for pressure washing and waxoyling, just glad to get it in out of the elements, just have to wait now until I can find the bits I need to get it going again.

Bedford QLT & RLHC 16.JPG

Bedford QLT 17.JPG

Bedford QLT 12.JPG

A friend in Australia, fitted a later Perkins in his QL, the 6.354, which is about 5.4 litres. It caused all sorts of problems, due to its size and configuration, exhaust downpipe is above the diff, no room for the handbrake lever, so as it it has a compressor, brakes were converted to air over hydraulic and a cylinder was fitted to the rear axle for an air handbrake. Radiator had to be moved forward, I think. Then you also lose speed due to the lower rpm of the diesel, so larger tyres were fitted, also a 5 speed Turner gearbox.

Would be interested some photographs, it's definately looking tight in the engine bay for the Cummins, be a pitty, it's a damn good engine. I would be interested to see how somebody else has tackled the problem and as usual I can't seem to find anything on the internet about engine conversions for the QL or post war civi conversions. But it could just be me being thick. There was a book about post war military vehicle conversions but I can't remember what it's called.

Bedford's own 214 cubic inch engine is a more modern version of the 28hp you have fitted. Higher compression and more generous breathing give it almost 100bhp if I recall correctly. You could also try the 300 ci petrol as found in the post war RL, but I'm not sure how much space you have in the QL for the bigger engine. If you want diesel there's also the 330 ci diesel Bedford engine, either turbo'd or not. I don't think you've the room for the bigger 500 ci Bedford engine though.

Glen.

Yes, it was in the old timber yard at Needham Market. There when I took the photos and posted them. I think it has been sold now.

Still there yesterday - might be good for some parts?

Any 4 cyl engine - Perkins P4 / L4 might have been used in the past. A modern equivalent might be the Perkins 4236 or more recent ranges or Cummins B4 (not many used in automotive applications).

Yeah the Cummins 4 cylinder out of the 45 were a nice engine but the old 4 cylinder phase engines out of the Renault Dodge 50 with it's Spicer box would fit easier but I haven't got either of those, I've got the 6 cylinder with a ZF 5 speed box.

I'll have to go and have a look.

The 4 cylinder Perkins lumps might have been ok back in the day of 20 mph speed limits, and if you wanted to run on what was then very cheap diesel, but I'd reckon they'd be massively underpowered on today's roads in such a big vehicle. I had a 4236 in a LWB Landy and, whilst it pulled well from low down, once I'd raised the gearing to give a top speed over 50 (rangie diffs and 9.00 tyres) it didn't go any better than the 2.25 petrol it replaced.

If you're not worried about a conversion being "period" then a modern diesel like the landrover tdi gives about 107 bhp and 200 lbf, with a rev range comparable or slightly higher than the original petrol engine, but in a much smaller and lighter package. Doesn't sound anything like as nice as the petrol six-pot though!

An engine and gearbox from a modern 7.5 tonner like an iveco might be do-able too. Give you around 140/150 bhp and 5 or 6 gears. It all depends what you want to do with it once it's finished. I think I'd be most tempted to try out the original setup before making a decision - maybe there's another QL owner here that would let you play with theirs to see how the standard engine performs?

All the best, Glen.

I've come across a far few different engines in Landrovers over the last few years, I've got to admit the 200TDI is the winner hands down in a Landrover, I think I've now done about 30 TDI conversions in Defenders and Series.

I had a 110 with a Perkins 4236 turbo in, it was actually quite good, very nippy but I can't remember what the gearing was. My 110 station wagon has got a 3.5 TDI Nissan in it which is supposed to be 170hp and 266 lbft, if the parts were easy to get hold of I wouldn't hesitate to put one of these in, it's been a very good engine. I did consider bolting two 200TDIs together to make a straight 8 but it just worked out too complicated to do it how I wanted to, the idea was to couple the engines with an electronically operated clutch so you could run on 4 or 8 cylinders (it's a silly idea but I had lots of 200TDI engines laying around). I plumb instead for a 150hp Cummins, I just bought the whole truck and stripped out what I wanted. I wanted the turbo version so I could have an exhaust brake.

Was talking to an old boy today who tinkers with older vehicles and he seems to think the Cummins would be the best option. Somebody else suggested moving the cab back and fitting a bonnet if I'm not going to do it original. I don't think I'd do this but it would be interesting to see what it looked like. But I'm in no hurry.

Quite surprised how little restoration information has been posted on the QL, found a few pictures on flicker but not as many as I was expecting, I hadn't seen the one in your link before Mike.

We've talked about the 4 cylinder Perkins earlier on, I went and had a look at a Dodge 75 today at one of my customers, he is converting to camper so took a couple of pics of the engine bay.

Perkins engine 1.JPG

Perkins engine 2.JPG

Perkins engine 3.JPG