101 fog lights

antarmike

Question

Just re-fitted and tested rear lights on 101 after repairs to cross member. Fog lights only light when headlamps are dipped. Going to main beam extinguishes Fog Lights. Is this normal for a 101. I have not yet had time to study the circuit diagrams, I am sure I will work out an answer, but can anyone throw any light on the subject?

8 answers to this question

Thats normal for series landrover optional-accessory-foglamps. Its a heavy switched feed from the dipped-beam supply. Red main+Yellow tracer wire to the foglamps if memory serves me ok.....

I assume 101's use the same switch/circuit but I stand to be corrected.............:D

Alec.

I was going to reply saying the same but before I did I thought I'd go and check on a modern motor. On both of our Discovery's (1998 & 1998) the rear fogs stay illuminated with both dipped and main beams. Maybe C&U requirements changed between series LRs and later vehicles?

- MG

Mike.

It's pretty standard on most modern cars, but for some reason not on all don't know why?

It's a good idea though.

All we need is the same thing for front fog lights & cars that automatically explode if you use your phone whilst driving.

It turns off the rear fog lights when you go to full beam as you don't use full beam when it's foggy.

A really good safety feature for all those idiots who leave their fog lights on when it's not foggy.

But you may want fog lights when it is raining torrents, and using main beam doesn't blitz all visibility in heavy rain as it does in fog.

It always used to be the case that fog lights only worked with dipped beam.

This was for rear and front and were only to be used when visibility was less than 100 yards.

Even in heavy rain mian beam would probably be pretty useless in these conditions.

But I do know where Antarmike is coming from, brother used to use his in wet conditions, especially motorways when he had is beetle. It was a Baja job with 305's so any water ant it just disappeared in spray.

I think the rules must have changed now as fog lights seem to work regardless of what lights are on and regardless of weather conditions.

Mike