Kettenkrad

private mw

funny but wrong one this ones £70.000 :red:

Why, if someone is expecting at least 70 grand, can't he be bothered to at least blow off the autumn leaves, let only properly clean it? :rolleyes:

Oh no, wait, those are genuine SPR film set leaves and dust of course :yawn:

Nice little machine there, shame about the price. As said above always makes me smile when sellers seem to forget that it doesn't matter what they believe something is worth, at the end of the day it'll only ever be worth what people are willing to pay!

James

I have to 'fess up -I'm not a great Wehrmmacht fan:red:

C'mon steve, their vehicles were much better than ours on every level, except that they missed a couple of little points, they didn't have to be the best, just good enough, easy to manufacture and maintain. Imagine if they had taken the Russian T34 design and understood what it was really about rather than just looking at the armour / gun. One gets the impression that lots of design engineers were involved with the Panther and not enough, production and maintainability guys!

I read the wartime Tiger strip down report a few years ago at Uni, the engine section was fantastic, yet throughout the book I just kept thinking why so over complicated? I think someone must have been taking a back hander from the roller bearing manufacturers:-D

Oh, while it's fresh in my mind, was the Panthers 75mm any good with HE?

German WWII vehicles were much too overengineered. For instance, the kettenkrad had two needle roller bearings for each track, the narrow track base made it very unstable on any sloping ground, I used to own one and in my opinion it wasnt much use. The germans could learn a lot from USA engineers as regards to dry pin tracks as opposed to their vastly overcomplicated track bearings. John.

ajmac

C'mon steve, their vehicles were much better than ours on every level,

character has nothing to do with how good something is -I like churchills they are realy poor of the axis vehicles I go for TNHPS and other lessers types such as Turan.

The HE round for a Panther is similar to other 7.5KWKs and had about 1.4lbs of explosive as opposed to the best allied 75mm the M48 which had about 1.5lb on the basis that a bang is a bang they are much the same and also range is similar due to a reduced charge being used for obvious reasons -hope this helps -if anyone wants to jump in if i'm wrong or off the mark please feel free to do so.

Steve

Blackpowder44

The germans could learn a lot from USA engineers as regards to dry pin tracks as opposed to their vastly overcomplicated track bearings.

US tank track was a rubber bushed or bonded pin in all war service light medium and heavy tanks and as such was more advanced than anything else anywhere- it is in effect early form of live track at a time when other nations including Germany used a glorified door hinge:nut: for their tanks.

US half/tracks used a re-enforced rubber band track rather than as you say

vastly overcomplicated
lubricated bearing track -debateable which would last longer in service but I dare say the US half/track was more economic whatever the automotive trial showed

Steve