Fake M1 Abrams

JoelH

So I have been watching a series called Jericho (very good). There was is an M1 Abrams in one episode, but it didn't look right and it sounded familiar.

Here it is:

m-1a-1.jpg

Can anyone spot any problems with this Vehicle....

Edited by JoelH
Changed the wording "Fake" to "Visual Modification" as term conveys the wrong message.

Richard Farrant

Isn't it a Chieftain?

Drivers position looks to be off centre to the right.

Chieftain;

I think your belief that the drivers station is off centre is an optical illusion -they are undoubtably Chieftain and a comparatively light touch conversion- even the original suspension plates have been retained -slightly modified, The barrel is a real give away -i'm looking at a photo of a Viberts M1 ex Cent mk5/1 the fume extractor is nearer the turret, gun is shorter, side plate cover the whole of the suspension but continue up to meet the horizontal walkways.

Fruitbat

.....the other forums have also labelled them as Centurions.

Doesn't mean that because other furums say something that it is right.

Below is a poor photo I am including for the purposes of making the point -these are the converted Australian Centurions of which there were 12. you will notice even with the poor quality of the photo that they are significantly different from those shown in post#1 of this thread.

Steve

abramurion.jpg

British Chieftain Tanks/ M1 Abrams 2 to choose from.

These are 2 British Chieftain main battle tanks that were converted by the Movie industry at great expense to look like the US M1 Abrams main battle tank which are not available for private use. They are both in good condition, they run, operate and look very sharp. Weight is 55 Tons, length ( with gun forward ) 35' 5", length of Hull 24' 8", width 11' 9" height (overall ) 9' 6".

These are a good investment at $69,000.00 ea., 1st. buyer gets to choose , so hurry.

http://www.armyjeeps.net/armor1.htm

Calling it a fake seems a bit harsh, Call it a copy, a lookalike or a reproduction yes, but surely a fake is something deliberately made to sell to an unsuspecting pundit knowing it is not what it purports to be. Making a film prop with the intention of taking film footage at a reasonable cost, does not seem to me the same as attempting fraud.

Edited by antarmike

Fake was the term used to describe them elsewhere - I think they are labelled as "Visual Modification" by the company that Loans them. (I will re-label the topic).

Here is another "Visual Modification" from the same company:

015.jpg

Also this is the M1 from the rear:

IMG_9296.gif

All credit for these images must go to armytrucks.com

Edited by JoelH

eddy8men....by the way have you seen the prices of british armour they've got for sale £30k for a 432 and £60k for a spartan:wow:
The price of the M706 is a bit wild too:shocked: but the half millon for the M4A1 DD is **** obscene:wow:, I'd expect it to be a drive away at that price not a lump of crumbling junk.:-D

Steve

The CuF "Abrams" were quite different, one here, http://www.tomtownsend-toyland.com/toyland/persian_gulf_war_australian_centurion.htm

The ones in Jerico (there is a set of photos http://www.flickr.com/photos/7634992@N04/510235148/in/photostream/) are similar. The obivous difference is that the CuF ones have a representation of the Abrams side skirts, whereas the Jerico tanks seem to have more original looking skirts. I guess the oil leak proves it's a Chieftain :blush:

jch

IMO I think the earlier Centurion mock up Abrams has the edge the Chieftain one looks like a dressed up Chieftain whereas the Centurions conversion doesn't give away it origins -the "jericho" vehicle is particularly weak around the turret ring as the add ons sit too high, the barrel is too long and the fume extractor is in the wrong place, the skirts are virtually unmodified Chieftain-in particular M1A1 don't have the protruding lift handles -but I suppose beauty is in the eye of the beholder.:-)

steve

there was a sub section on

http://the.shadock.free.fr/

website which had lots of movie substitute afvs but for some unkown reason it is not there at the moment . >:( Not only should websites be accessable -by ensuring that sub section particulaly if formated in PDF are not overly long or large that it makes it difficult to enter, but should be consistant.>:(

Steve