58 pattern machete

ferrettkitt

Andy, Although issued as part of the C.E.S with Vehicle Etc. It was Rarely If at all worn on a belt kit in the field on Exercise. It was too cumbersome & was kept stowed anywhere you could in the vehicle concerned. They were originaly designed to go on the 1944 patt Webbing where the Bottom of the waistbelt had eyelets for that purpose. (& other Kit) In practice, IF, carried. It was generally strapped crosswise on the outside of the Bumroll (Poncho Carrier) of the 58 web set. The scabbard as you know, has a web beltloop on the rear, & this was really the only way you COULD carry one on a 58 Patt belt if you actually wanted to. In Reality, you had so much junk to lug around. ANYTHING you didnt want to carry, you didnt, IF you could get by without it! Try getting in & out a Ferret with even JUST a set of 58 webbing on, & you WILL see why it was not worn on web sets by vehicle crews! :-D

The 58 pattern Machette, I think is more of a Parang rather than a machette or a Golok.

If you read Ray Mears survival books the types and countries of origin and their uses are explained in there.

Machette's are really only good for cutting vegetation whilst Parang's and Golok's are able to be used for vegetation & general cutting & shaping uses.

It's the length & shape of the blades.

Might as well ask another daft question in relation to 58 pattern kit what binoculars were in use to fit the 58 pattern binocular pouch on the webbing kit and who used that pouch on the webbing? Ruperts by any chance?

Binoculars, Prismatic. No.2. Ruperts had them as pretty much standard issue. BUT, ANY recce AFV at unit level could Sign a pir out from the G1098 Stores. If you wanted virtualy Any equipment & could justify it. The if you signed it out, you could have it. If YOU lost it, as you had signed for it. YOU would have to pay for a replacment! Sometimes, if an item wa what is termed, a Starred Item. It was a HIGHLY traceable & Acountable item. IE@ A SMG for example. If this weant 'missing' Etc.... There was Hell to pay! Unit personell & vehicle, accomodation seraches. S.I.B Called in (Mil Police C.I.D Section) & life was generally very unpleasant in the unit! A court Marshal usualy ensued!.................(God Help the Poor Bas**rd!) :shocked:

Going back to Machete's

A couple of Golocks and a Martindale.

One Golock is fantastic quality and the other is quite crude! They really have some weight to them.

And for your amusement! (ignore the ad at the start)

http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi1520109081/

:D

I have one of those silver ones they don't bare any comparison to the originals I suspect that they might be of type that you used to be seen at gift shops in Blackpool.

I have one of those silver ones they don't bare any comparison to the originals I suspect that they might be of type that you used to be seen at gift shops in Blackpool.

The scabbard is genuine but the golock is terrible, pretty blunt too. I bought a couple at tankfest last year, they were pretty cheap.

MT

What makes it worse is neither of them are actually machette or golok scabbards.

They are the old pattern scabbards for the PLCE L85A2 bayonet.

I thought they looked similar. Can anyone post up a pic of a genuine golock scabbard?

I thought they looked similar. Can anyone post up a pic of a genuine golock scabbard?
Thought that pic. of mine is a Golock scbd.! (may be wrong I usually are:-D) According to the excelent book 'British Post-War Jungle Webbing' (£10.95), mine is.

ISBN 978 1 84797 086 2

Any way shows the difference between Golock and 44'machete. Size etc.

Hope of intrest. P.S. think it helps if a scale is against the pic. (overall length 13")

'Scuse me coming in on this thread, knowing absolutely swat all about what is or isnt a 'Service' machete/martindale/golock never having served in anything, but- I have what I'd term a small machete that looks pretty much like the two items in the bottom pic of ferrittkitts pic, it also has what I believe to be its original scabbard, the item as shown in post no.7. So is this item technically a golock, as if it is its a Martindale golock as that name is clearly on it. So what makes a 'Service' item a Martindale instead of a golock? or vice versa? Happy to post up pics but there is nothing that isnt in anything already in the thread. I know the origin of the item and I believe it to be genuine ex-Service rather than Milletts/Army Stores etc although it doesnt have any arrow marking or such on it, other than a serial number(?)120-9242. I wait with baited breath and a sharp but non shiny machete in hand :-D

'Scuse me coming in on this thread, knowing absolutely swat all about what is or isnt a 'Service' machete/martindale/golock never having served in anything, but- I have what I'd term a small machete that looks pretty much like the two items in the bottom pic of ferrittkitts pic, it also has what I believe to be its original scabbard, the item as shown in post no.7. So is this item technically a golock, as if it is its a Martindale golock as that name is clearly on it. So what makes a 'Service' item a Martindale instead of a golock? or vice versa? Happy to post up pics but there is nothing that isnt in anything already in the thread. I know the origin of the item and I believe it to be genuine ex-Service rather than Milletts/Army Stores etc although it doesnt have any arrow marking or such on it, other than a serial number(?)120-9242. I wait with baited breath and a sharp but non shiny machete in hand :-D

I have an 1981 dated Martindale made machete/golok, broad arrow marked with the same serial number 120-9242

I,ll post a pic tommorrow afternoon of it plus the issue web scabbard

Dan