Long Term Battery storage

As a result of the purchase of a 432 with prodigious comms fit and a Stormer with same we are going to end up with about 5 pairs of batteries to store long term.

Im proposing storing on wood in 50 degree C building with mains powered battery tender with over charge protection and fluid level check on a regular basis.

Is there any other way of preserving these batteries as a resource without involving more cost outlay?

R

Yes definately use a conditioner and do not leave on trickle charge for long term storage !

Whether in the vehicle or on a bench, a conditioner such as the Optimate 6 will maintain the batteries without gassing them dry or warping the plates etc and can be left connected indefinately.

If you have them on a bench in your "batt shop" protected from frost, a regular (once a month ?) charge and level check should keep them happy.

You just need one charger then!

Hope thats of some use

Iain

If they're Hawker batteries (as I suspect they are), make sure you use a charger designed for AGM type batteries, not one intended for mainstream flooded cell lead-acid units. These aren't conventional lead-acid batteries!

I'd recommend chargers manufactured by Pulsetech, which are in use by both the MOD and DOD. With the number of batteries you have something like the twin version of the Extreme charger would be good unless you want to splash out for something more comprehensive. Rotate the charger round the batteries once a week and check the OCVs of the off-charge units just to be sure.

The US refer to these batteries as "Armasafe" - there's a lot of useful info, including PDF manuals, around if you Google for it.

Andy

The US DOD have experienced lots of trouble with maintenance of these batteries due to failure of people to understand them. That's why there's a lot of helpful material on the 'net - if you know to look for "Armasafe"!

Andy

Hi Robin.

If they are being stored in a seperate room or a cabinet make sure you have plenty of

ventilation. for the acid fumes not to build up. i can remember when i was working a

scammells them having an explosion in the battery room because or the build up of gases

with the batteries being charge and not being correctly ventilated.

hope this helps.

Clive

Robin -

Here's a couple of useful links - I won't post the actual documents for Copyright reasons:

http://www.cerdec.army.mil/directorates/docs/c2d/TB9_6140_252_13.pdf

http://www.enersys.com/defense/documents/Tank-manual.pdf

I had a very interesting chat with one of Hawker's engineers a couple of months back, and although it has a different NSN and no vents, the US battery is identical internally to the UK ones.

Andy