Last RAF Harrier flight?

mike65

Yes very much the end of an unique era in the history of British combat aircraft, I wonder if the RAF will be retaining any for the Air show circuit, as really the should do, as this iconic aircraft holds just as much a place in the publics heart as the Vulcun.

Nige H

Suffice it to say the US haven't retired their AV-8's............

They are waiting for the F-35B Lightning II to be delivered - see

for what the RN will use to replace the Harrier with, too.

Harrier is a magnificent aircraft, when in the Navy I once saw a very spirited display which everyone watching tought was defying the laws of gravity and aerodynamics.

Unfortunately there's a good chance that the STOVL variant of JSF will either be cancelled or unaffordable, the two things being linked. Hence the interest in catapults for the carriers.

There's an interesting discussion here on the pros and cons of keeping Tornados rather than the Harriers: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11997084

Andy

Edited by andym

There's an interesting discussion here on the pros and cons of keeping Tornados rather than the Harriers: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11997084

I think this is a vital point: "His worry is that when the Harriers are taken out of service, the skills needed by the air crew, pilots and deck handlers will be hard to regenerate."

Very true, if a replacement is available in 10 years time or so, it will be not so much a matter if you can afford to buy the aircraft, but much more a matter of being able to raise the competencies to operate it safely and effectively.

In other words: if you scrap Harrier now, you scrap your abilities to operate fixed-wing Navy flying in the future. This is not a cost-cutting operation but a diversion from a set military strategy.

H.

Edited by mcspool
spelling

• 2 weeks later...
It would appear we are all of much the same mind, even if we cannot actually say so on here. It is to be hoped that a few will find a place, such as Duxford, where they can carry on flying, even if it is only for the entertainment and amazement of the public.
They would never be granted type approval by the CAA to be flown in private hands. Thats why Bruntingthorpes Lightnings only do taxis runs.

The only palce these would likely to be flown would be the states or Thunder City in S.A but that has now closed.

They would never be granted type approval by the CAA to be flown in private hands. Thats why Bruntingthorpes Lightnings only do taxis runs.

The only palce these would likely to be flown would be the states or Thunder City in S.A but that has now closed.

I suppose they would ban it on the VTOL grounds.

My understanding is the Lightning will not get approval due to its speed.

We will jmust have to hope the Americans bring a few over for airshows and training.

Mike

I suppose they would ban it on the VTOL grounds.

My understanding is the Lightning will not get approval due to its speed.

We will jmust have to hope the Americans bring a few over for airshows and training.

Mike

I thought the grounds for acceptance or rejection depended on the complexity or simplicity of the jet aircraft. No complex military jet aircraft has ever passed CAA accreditation.

Lightning was complex, Harrier more so.

If there was another reason for Lightning not flying on the civil register it was the appalling safety record of the type.

The riveted fuel tank sat above the intake to the engines and any leak led to fuel being fed into the intake. A large number of lightnings burned to death. This I suggest gave it no chance of getting on the civil register.

Harrier is an incedibly difficult plane to fly, (VTOL, Viffing, hovering flying backwards and sideways. Only the very best could fly them and they needed constant practice.)

Harrier is I suggest not suited to being a display aircraft, because you have to be a full time pilot to keep skills current. You can't take three months off and come back to it and put on a half decent and 100% safe display. (unless you are Arnold Schwarzenegger??) And it is too expensive to fly everyday.....

Speed isn't really an issue for Harrier, since Sea Vixen, Hunter etc. have made it onto CAA civil register and are of similar performance.

Edited by antarmike

C'mon, if they are getting too expensive for the military to fly, do you think private organisations can raise the funds to pay for the upkeep of airframes and pilot proficiency?

C'mon, if they are getting too expensive for the military to fly, do you think private organisations can raise the funds to pay for the upkeep of airframes and pilot proficiency?

I was thinking more along the lines of the US military bringing some of theirs over.

They have not consined them to the scrap heap yet.

Mike

I was thinking more along the lines of the US military bringing some of theirs over.

They have not consined them to the scrap heap yet.

Ah yes, of course. Since the F-35B STOVL is on hold they will probably keep flying the Harriers longer.