New member max3112

max3112

Hello,

you have a new german guy in your really good Forum. Thanks for the possibility to join. My name is Markus, I´m 42 years old and I live with my family in Germany close to the city of Trier, in the Mosel-region, some may know because of the good wine. My interest was since the early days of my driving license allways in old military vehicles, so i started with a 42 Willys Jeep in 1986.Sold it two years later, because I had no clue about restoring such a vehicle. Meanwhile I found out, that VW is a very easy to restore, because you get the parts allmost everywhere. Unfortunately the real "good" ones (VW 82 and 166) are not achievable anymore (to expensive/ not a problem of spare parts) but whom do I tell. I had the possibility of buying a 66 German Postal service beetle, which is currently under reconstruction. I´m driving a VW 181 (Thing/Trekker) built in 71, ex German Army right now.

It is allways a pleasure to deal with the enthusiasts, so I´m looking forward to spice up my english and e-mail once in a while.

(Sorry for the mistakes! Hope it doesn´t hurt to much)

Best regards

Markus

Markus,

Welcome!

I had the possibility of buying a 66 German Postal service beetle, which is currently under reconstruction.

One of these? VW 1200 Standard version (w/o chrome and other embellishments) in Postgelb LF63 semi-gloss with black wheels and bumpers? Great Beetle, I love the Standard version!

Regards

Hanno from Holland

Parking lot outside of Volkswagen plant filled with Volkswagen cars. Wolfsburg, June 1960 3df026.jpg

Hi Markus, welcome to the forum, the british army had many V.W.s in the 1950s, I was stationed in a tank workshop in Hamm Nr Munster..... I drove all the different variants, cars, mini bus, ambulance. I was very impressed with the V.W. A bit of good german engineering.

Promised myself that I would buy one one day, but I`m afraid I never did, still time yet though.

Regards.

Ray.:kissoncheek:

Hello and thank you all for the welcome,

Hanno your right, that´s the beetle. Unfortunately it is at the moment a little bit different from the ones on the pictures. Chassis and a part of the body are in good condition again. I planned to paint it not in the original yellow of the Postal service but instead in so called "Zeltgrau" /Tent Grey, which is very similar to the "Feldgrau"/ grey of the german army in WW 1. This colour was used by the German Postal service after WW 2 for the Construction teams. I have only one picture of a beetle in this grey colour...but in my opinion grey fits better than yellow. Hanno thank you very much for the picture..and best regards to Holland.

Markus

I try to add some photos

Hello,

as promised: Here are some pictures of the beetle and "The Thing". With it`s 44 HP is it unbelievable off road. Especially in the summer, with the open roof top and the windshield folded to the front. Better than riding a bike (my opinion) and beneath their father the kid`s love it too.

BR

Markus

PICT1012.jpg

BILD1820.jpg

Hello,

as promised: Here are some pictures of the beetle and "The Thing". With it`s 44 HP is it unbelievable off road. Especially in the summer, with the open roof top and the windshield folded to the front. Better than riding a bike (my opinion) and beneath their father the kid`s love it too.

BR

Markus[ATTACH=CONFIG]37682[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]37681[/ATTACH]

Looking good.

Hanno your right, that´s the beetle. Unfortunately it is at the moment a little bit different from the ones on the pictures. Chassis and a part of the body are in good condition again. I planned to paint it not in the original yellow of the Postal service but instead in so called "Zeltgrau" /Tent Grey, which is very similar to the "Feldgrau"/ grey of the german army in WW 1. This colour was used by the German Postal service after WW 2 for the Construction teams. I have only one picture of a beetle in this grey colour...but in my opinion grey fits better than yellow. Hanno thank you very much for the picture..and best regards to Holland.

Markus,

Great choice, a Standard Beetle in grey. They do not come more basic than this! That is how I like them the most.

You could also opt to paint it as a Bundeswehr Beetle or any of the Beetles in service with other Armies around the world.

Regards,

Hanno

513691.jpg