My Former WC51 "Flying Control Dodge" - A New Chapter

Jessie The Jeep

The top part of the mount had the retaining pins machined Monday afternoon and were then welded in place, before a quick sand blast and then paint. It too was left to bake in the airing cupboard. Once dry, the two could be bolted together and then installed into the truck, along with the original tray.

mount37.jpg

mount38.jpg

Edited by Jessie The Jeep

• 6 months later...

For six months and a day, the Dodge has been tucked up nice and warm in the barn, but on Friday April 19th, it had its first drive of the year, back home for its Spring time service. After the service, it was time to get back to the interior fit out.

I left the thread last year with the manufacture of a shock mount for the second BC-348 receiver. It was now time to fit the transmitter and receivers in a proper installation, rather than just sitting on the wooden shelves. They would take up less space during transport and the set up time at a show would be faster.

The first picture to the right shows both receivers bolted down on their mounts, followed by a close up of the original mount.

radio_fit1.jpg

radio_fit2.jpg

The 12 volt gel cell inside the BC-375 transmitter hasn't been holding charge, so it was removed and new power lines fitted through the original plugs I bought last year.

radio_fit3.jpg

As you can see from the picture below, the inside of the transmitter is pretty gutted. There was just enough room for the soldering iron to reach the back of the power socket to connect the meter and power light wires.

radio_fit4.jpg

Once the three units were fitted, I began to add some more wiring, now that the install is a permanent feature.

radio_fit5.jpg

Firstly, a ground cable was fitted to the receiver's push fasten terminals, and next came an aerial wire. As yet, I don't know what the real aerial cable looked like, so this will have to do for now.

radio_fit6.jpg

radio_fit7.jpg

The second plug into the transmitter had some additional wires added to it, meaning there's a good bundle vanishing off behind the unit. All that remains is an aerial wire to fit into the third plug in the transmitter. While the unit is a close fit to the back wall of the truck, the gap is still visible, so I needed something in there. The wires are all bound with cotton every few inches, copied from the internal wiring of the transmitter.

radio_fit8.jpg

radio_fit11.jpg

So this is how it stands right now. It's not looking significantly different to before, but it will make transport and set up more simple at shows this year.

radio_fit12.jpg

There's still lots more to do however. I still need a right side, top and rear panel for the transmitter, there's the anemometer head still to make, one, possibly two navigators style chairs to make which are also collapsible to make more space during transport.

I finished the Springtime service of the Dodge today. One by one, all four wheels were removed, along with the brake drums. The shoes, cylinders and drums were inspected for damage and leaks, then cleaned and re-assembled.

130427brakes1.jpg

130427brakes2.jpg

To make it easier to know the position of the brake shoe adjusters, I used a diamond cutting disc to mark the adjusters maximum position. As each drum and wheel was refitted, the adjusters were set to give a little clearance when the wheel turned. After all the wheels were done, the brakes were bled, and the master cylinder linkage adjusted, finishing the three days of servicing.

130427brakes3.jpg

130427brakes4.jpg

Great looking vehicle, Steve!

I am so glad to you chose to equip your Dodge WC51, as you have as opposed to the all-too-frequent "Airborne" Dodge's.

I marked my own late model WC51 (just like yours), ex Norway (just like yours), as an ambulance of the Brazilian Expeditionary Force, as it appeared in Italy late 1944, early 1945. It gets lots of attention at shows and rallies due to its unusual markings. I have had it parked at rallies beside several "Aaaiijjjbbbooouunnee" 101/506 & 82nd Jeeps and Dodge's, which didn't get the attention my Dodge got, even if some of the other vehicles were up to a standard my Dodge wasn't (I prefer to use my Dodge as it was intended to be used, and a few scratches doesn't give me sleepless nights)

Keep up your excellent work. And I look forward to seeing your Dodge, "in the flesh", none too soon.

Fellow WC51 owner-

Goran N

Cheers! On a few occasions I've wondered what it would be like to own a normal looking military Dodge, but those thoughts pass fairly quickly! No point in going along with all the other sheep. It does also have the advantage that if I have a few drinks at a show away from the truck, I can always find my way back to it, even in the dark!

• 4 weeks later...

Battlegroup North was well supported last weekend, but very cold. There was a bitter wind, and being out on the airfield, there was nothing to stop it. Saturday was very showery, Sunday better. The BBMF Dakota and Lancaster flew over, and the museum's SE5a, Devon, Dakota did static engine runs, while the Buccaneer, Nimrod and Victor did fast taxi runs along the two mile Elvington runway.

bgn2.jpg

bgn3.jpg

bgn6.jpg

bgn22.jpg

Further pics here - http://www.sacarr.co.uk/mymvs/events/2013/bgn.htm

This weekend just gone, I made it to Blyth Battery for Sunday. Friday night and Saturday was hammering down with rain, so I stayed at home. Saturday night, I decided to check the Dodge would start because of the amount of heavy rain, and of course, it wouldn't! The whole engine bay was soaking wet, but after much checking, drying and cleaning, in the end, it turned out to be the condensor. I finally got the engine running by 9:30pm.

Sunday had a very misty start, but brightened up as the day progressed, and I ended up chatting to more of the public that day, than during the whole of the previous weekend at Elvington. The truck is back under cover at the farm now until next month when we've got a trip to the Great North Fly In at Eshott Airfield.

blyth3.jpg

blyth6.jpg

blyth7.jpg

Here's the first scoop after the handle was cut off with the bandsaw. It revealed another stainless fitting, spot welded onto the bowl that the plastic was moulded around. This was removed with a grinder, leaving me with a nice metal bowl around 2 1/4 inches diameter.

anemometer2.jpg

anemometer3.jpg

A set with three cups and a holder for them. Made of plastic, however.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Davis-Instruments-Anemometer-Wind-Cups-Large-for-Vantage-Pro2-7905L-/390493617476?pt=US_Weather_Meters&hash=item5aeb3bbd44

anemometerz_0003.jpg

It seems both 3- and 4 cups were used in the construction of Anemometers.

You're getting there =)

Goran N

anemometerz_0004.jpg

anemometer-cup-59132-2721269.jpg

anemometerz_0001.jpg

Many anemometers available today are electric, driving a dynamo/generator which operates an electric dial to give the reading. Mine needs to be completely mechanical, and I also need to be able to experiment with the arm length and gear ratio to get the speed dial reading reasonably accurately.