My Former WC51 "Flying Control Dodge" - A New Chapter

Jessie The Jeep

My driveway looks very empty with the Dodge back at the farm! Still, it'll be back home in a couple of weeks for another event at Northallerton. It also gives me the space to get the Jeep out and sort out the tappets. I seem to have done nothing but vehicle maintenance since before Easter.

• 2 weeks later...

Brought the truck back home tonight as I'm off to the Northallerton War Weekend tomorrow. Ten minutes with the spanners saw the hinges removed from the Norwegian doors and fitted to my new doors. So tomorrow I'll get to find out how much draught they stop!

doors14.jpg

There's only a small gap above the door, necessary to clear the roof canvas while opening.

Edited by Jessie The Jeep

The previous leather flap covering the weather vane socket worked for a while, but then it started to draw the water in via capillary action. Today a new hinged cover was machined from 'Chemiwood', painted and fitted. The inside is machined out to allow it to sit down over the metal mounting bracket. While I was on waterproofing, I took the dome off, and re-applied the silicone bead that seals the wooden lip between the truck and the frame the dome is mounted to.

vane16.jpg

vane17.jpg

The weekend was the first camping trip away in the Dodge with the whole family. It was a bit of a squeeze getting all the camping gear in, plus pushchair and high chair etc., but we managed. It was the Northallerton Wartime Weekend.

north1.jpg

A rare shot of all of us together!

north2.jpg

On the Saturday morning parade.

north9.jpg

The Dodge along with the other Durham Tees Valley vehicles.

north12.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

All quiet on the Dodge front at present. I was out in the Jeep for Armed Forces Day, so the next time out for the Dodge will be around a couple of weeks time for the Breighton Airfield Summer Fly-in. Hopefully Maurice Hammond will make an appearance with his two P-51's as he often visits Breighton.

I haven't had much time to mess around further with the radio install, as I'm currently working on a large garden landscaping project to child proof the back garden and reduce maintenance there. Gardens are more expensive than vehicles to work on!!

• 3 weeks later...

We got home last night from a great weekend away at Breighton airfield. It was their annual summer Fly-in and was another success, despite dull and windy weather to start the weekend. It progressively improved and plenty of flying took place, with all kinds of vintage and modern flying machines. There were also a good selection of vintage cars and a few military vehicles.

We set off on Friday lunchtime in order to get there late afternoon. It was 108 miles from home, and took us three and a quarter hours to make the journey along the quite two lane roads, more safe than the high speed dual carriageways. The trip was uneventful, and the Dodge didn't miss a beat.

So to start with, a picture of my daughter with the Dodge next to one of the surviving wartime buildings.

breighton1.jpg

The Battle of Britain Memorial Flight Hurricane and Spitfire made an appearance on Saturday before the weather brightened up.

breighton2.jpg

On Sunday, a Hotchkiss M201 arrived, recently purchased by the owner. On closer inspection, it appears that the chassis could be a Willys chassis, upgraded by the French at some point. The body tub is Hotchkiss from around the early 1960's.

breighton3.jpg

Due to the cross wind, the Arrow Active 2 was only taxied.

breighton4.jpg

On Sunday morning, I took a flight in a Taylorcraft Auster belonging to a friend. The flight had been planned for the year before, but a strong crosswind postponed the flight until this year. While airborne, we caught up with another Auster for some air-to-air photography.

breighton9.jpg

breighton10.jpg

breighton11.jpg

breighton12.jpg

The last couple of pictures I'll post here are a couple of sunset photos of the Dodge and Harvard.

breighton14.jpg

breighton15.jpg

Rather than fill this thread with lots of event photos, more of the pictures taken during the weekend can be found on the following page on my Dodge Website - Breighton Photos

On Sunday morning, I took a flight in a Taylorcraft Auster belonging to a friend. The flight had been planned for the year before, but a strong crosswind postponed the flight until this year. While airborne, we caught up with another Auster for some air-to-air photography.

breighton9.jpg

breighton10.jpg

breighton11.jpg

breighton12.jpg

Which Strip is that ? I have flown into most GA Airfields & Farm strips in the UK but not sure if I recognise that one, is it Breighton ?

Cheers Ian

Edited by Ian L

• 3 weeks later...

Had a great weekend at Croft, despite rain and a massive thunderstorm washing everything out on Saturday. The CroftMilitary.co.uk gallery has now been updated with the 2011 event pictures, but for here, I'll just add a selection of pictures from my display. I wanted the Jeep and Dodge there on display which meant I needed another driver. The only option was Lynne, who hadn't driven the Jeep for three years. So in the week leading up to the event, Lynne had driving lessons totalling around 40 miles without and with the trailer and in the rain. By Thursday, she was feeling quite confident.

The trip to Croft went without any problems, though I spent the whole trip watching Lynne following through my rear view mirror! Friday was lovely sunny day, and I got a number of nice photos of arrivals and people setting up.

croft1.jpg

croft2.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Had a nice weekend at the Durham Light Infantry Museum yesterday and today. Met up with Beepbeep again. The usual grass display area was waterlogged, so we ended up in the car park. Lynne drove the Jeep there yesterday while I took the Dodge, but today it was just the Dodge as Lynne went to 'Ladies Day' at Newcastle races. Numbers were down this year due to both the poor forecast and I expect that the economy and fuel prices had something to do with it.

The engine was missing a little on the trip there and back today, after driving about 5 miles, so I suspect it needs a new condensor. Just remembered that I put that condensor in January/February time when it started misssing on the way back from the DLI! Perhaps it doesn't like the place?

dli1.jpg

dli2.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Saturday September 17th was the second Washington Heritage Festival. There were a number of military vehicles and re-enactor displays, plus exhibits from the N.E. Aircraft Museum, and other historical re-enactment groups, Washington history displays, fairground rides etc. Despite the mornings rain, there were a large number of public there all day. This was probably the last event for the Dodge this year, although I will be taking it for a drive once a month over the winter.

wash1.jpg

wash5.jpg

wash8.jpg