My Former WC51 "Flying Control Dodge" - A New Chapter

Jessie The Jeep

The anemometer is on hold until I get a few more odds and ends together, though I did get some bearings through the post the other day. I need the truck back to work out required RPM etc, before I can really get down to it.

So let's make some other stuff. This time pyrotechnics! Well, dummy ones for my M8 flare pistol. I found some steel tube a bit smaller than the pistol barrel, and the first effort was printer paper wrapped around and glued with Pritt. A bit wrinkly, but the technique worked reasonably well for a dummy flare cartridge, including the crimped over end.

flare1.jpg

Coloured end caps were copied from pictures of original 1940's flares and printed out on to card last night. There seems to have been a number of different styles, so I've copied two of them.

flare2.jpg

Edited by Jessie The Jeep

The first proper version used brown wrapping paper first, then to add thickness, buff printer paper. It worked well, but the buff showed where it was crimped over.

flare3.jpg

The next try used the brown/buff combination, but the buff layers were set back from the end so they wouldn't show when crimped.

flare4.jpg

Below, the first three cartridges made, and just needing the paper/glue to harden before they can be trimmed to length. The only things they are lacking are an external label, which I haven't done the graphics for yet, and coloured bands painting around the ends of the cartridges.

flare5.jpg

I'll be making an open rack for the truck to store "Ready to use" flares with the ends exposed so they can be seen and identified, and a locker for additional spare flares in a "Safe" condition. The brass or aluminium igniter ends wouldn't be seen, so I won't have to make them, except for perhaps a couple on display out of the rack.

flare6.jpg

Labels for the flares were copied from a wartime original, with the codes and lot numbers changed for the various different colour combinations of flares. They were printed onto brown wrapping paper and cut to size.

flare7.jpg

flare8.jpg

The first four cartridges then had the labels attached with Pritt. I'm quite pleased with the results.

flare9.jpg

The next job was to paint the recognition bands around the tops of the cartridges, to signify the colour and number of stars.

flare10.jpg

flare11.jpg

One short cartridge was made to fit inside the barrel of the M8 pistol. This needs to be short because of the steel bar welded across the inside to deactivate the pistol. This doesn't need painting because only the end of the cartridge is visible.

flare12.jpg

flare11.jpg

One short cartridge was made to fit inside the barrel of the M8 pistol. This needs to be short because of the steel bar welded across the inside to deactivate the pistol. This doesn't need painting because only the end of the cartridge is visible.

flare12.jpg

These look fantastic. Nice work.

• 3 weeks later...

I Got back from the Great North Fly In earlier this evening after a great weekend. Saturday was pretty windy, limiting the flying to some degree, but today made up for it. 'Beepbeep' also turned up with his Dodge, which I was beginning to think was imagined! but no, it was real after all.

gnfi14.jpg

gnfi6.jpg

gnfi8.jpg

gnfi11.jpg

gnfi15.jpg

Each of the three arms was welded to two central nuts, forming the hub of the anemometer head. The nuts in the hub allow the head to be screwed onto the mast allowing easy storage inside the truck during transport.

anemometer6.jpg

anemometer7.jpg

The bottom of the mast ends with the 6mm steel rod. This needs either gearing or a belt drive across to the instrument panel.

anemometer14.jpg

This video is a repeat of the still images, and some video of the anemometer turning for the first time, in the light breeze this afternoon.

With a load of flares now made, they needed somewhere to go. I'd made some more paper tubes, like the cartridges, which would hold the cartridges in the rack. Fortunately I found a hole saw exactly the same size as the paper tubes. The tubes were glued into the wooden front of the rack at a slight upward angle so the flares wouldn't slide out. The bottom front of the tubes was a little proud of the surface due to the angle they were mounted at, so these were trimmed and sanded flush once dry.

flare_rack1.jpg

flare_rack2.jpg

Inside the rack, some 1/4 inch square strip held the rear of the tubes at the correct height and some 1/4 ply formed a back to the tubes. The flares stick out of the front of the rack by about 1 inch to allow the coloured bands to be seen, and to give something to hold to allow them to be removed.

flare_rack3.jpg

flare_rack4.jpg

Yesterday I also made a trial belt drive for the anemometer, to test out pulley ratios. Part of this can be seen in the pictures above. Of course it was flat calm yesterday, so I had no idea if it would work. Today, the wind picked up, but it seems reluctant to move as the required tension on the belt is causing too much fiction in the drive shafts. So today I ordered some small bearings and some bevel gears to make a geared drive, which was my original plan for the system. Based on the experiments with the belt, I'm gearing up the speed at the dial.

By the end of the week, the bearings and bevel gears had arrived. The bevel gear set is from the transmission of an R/C car. The bearings should help to reduce friction on both the new horizontal drive shaft and the vertical drive down to the dial.

anemometer15.jpg

anemometer16.jpg

The new gear drive was installed today. Even with the bearings, there's still some friction in the system, a little from the grease in the bearings, but mostly from the flexi-drive cable bending around into the back of the windspeed gauge.

anemometer17.jpg

anemometer18.jpg

The new system is fairly neat, but another day with little wind in the street means it is untested, except by hand. The street is surrounded by tall trees, and being at the lower end of the street, it is fairly sheltered, even when there's a gale blowing.

anemometer19.jpg

anemometer20.jpg