Posible plane crashsite.

As a young boy, I was always told of plane crashs in my local area. What with Andover airfield no more than three miles away there was plenty of aircraft in the sky.

One site I have always had a keep interest in is Blenheim field. The name came from the local farmer that told me many moons ago that a Blenheim had nose dived in there during the War.

Last Saturday I got the chance to have a ferret around with my metal detector. I did not go to Blenheim field but to the one oppisit. It was not long before finds started to come to the surface. Now I'm not saying these are aircraft fragments, BUT, while digging a coin out the ground I noticed a faint crater about 100ft to the side of me.

This was my target for the last hour of my detecting day. The crater is full of bits of green metal, pipe work and other bits I can't seem to identify.

Two bits of metal have numbering on them, one has 68887, the other 1007 and a small round stamp with 46 in it.

Anyhow, here are the pictures, have a look, what do you think? possible plane parts or just a load of old pants.

AC1.jpg

AC2.jpg

AC3.jpg

AC4.jpg

AC5.jpg

AC6.jpg

AC7.jpg

AC8.jpg

AC9.jpg

AC10.jpg

AC11.jpg

AC12.jpg

AC14.jpg

I have the farmers blessing to return to this site in the very near future, hopfully I will be able to add more finds to the thread.

Many thanks for looking and any help would be welcome.

Tony.

Edited by plainmilitary

They arent tractor parts for sure. I think, they could well be aircraft parts. Im interested in this as Ive found a site in a field just down the road from me which was the site of a crash.

"

A colleague Nobby Munday and myself cycled down to the meadow after school. We were both very interested in tanks and guns and to see so many aircraft in the skies everyday - these were very exciting times for young lads like us. A Warrant Officer stopped us going into the field. Well we were persistant little so and so's and eventually he let us in. The tail-plane, fuselage and wings had already been taken away, as well as the three bodies.

We searched the field and by jove they had made a very good job of clearing the wreckage. During the search I found a little brown satchel about 7 or 8 inches square and inside were the names of 3 airmen, all from Coventry and we handed this to the Warrent Officer. Also while searching the field I saw an object and dived on it immediately more to lay claim to having found it than anything else - and this turned out to be somebody's lung or other internal organ. I dropped it like a hot cake and didn't tell the Warrant Officer for obvious reasons.

The two engines were well embedded in the field, possibly 7 or 8 feet in the ground and we could see the metalwork of the engines around the two big holes in the ground and the stench of aviation fuel was very strong. After this we came away as we had seen as much as we could see. I'm not sure if they just filled in the holes and the engines or parts of them are still left in the ground."

Source

http://www.mkheritage.co.uk/hav/docs/war/war.html

The parts look 1930s british ie steel frame fuselage with wood stringers to give shape and fabric covered. Good luck with your next look. One tip for photos use a contrasting background with a coin for size comparison.

Alan

If the weather is fine for Saturday then we are defo going back. Had a guy look over the parts yesterday, came up with the same answers, not sure but looks very aircraft type. I will take my camera with me next week and try and give you guy an idea of the "crash" site. If the crater is what I think it is then with a bit of luck a serial plate should be down there somewhere.

I do need to go and find the old farmer boy that owns the field oppist "Blenheim field" and get his take on the bits. I have found out since posting this thread that there was a massive WW2 dump very near by, could it be something from that?

Anyhow, hopefully more to come, and with luck, that ID plate.

Many thanks for your help.

Tony.

None of your parts are immediately recognisable to me but have a go at straightening out the part which is on the left of your second and third photos. It looks to be a complete part, although crushed. It will have all its numbers and AID stamps on it and these should identify the aircraft type.

They are definitely from a British aircraft.