Was it really that much fun being in the british army in germany in the 70s/80s ?

afvnut75

The worst thing was when them at staff level decided to see how the spares system worked.

We were having problems with our C70s (radio-relay) at 1 Div (Verden). This was caused by low-lifed valves (500 hours operating time). The system was used to get them back on the air, which went summat like this:

1) Stores demand put in.

2) Eventually, someone at the Siemens factory in Erlamgen (in Bavaria) put a box of the required valves (2C39BA for the techno-freaks) into a truck which then barrelled down the Autobahn to Bremerhaven, incidentally passing by my barracks.

3) The container of bits and bobs was offloaded at Felixstowe, and loaded onto a truck/train/whatever and went off to COD Donnington (BEFORE the fire!).

4) some bored minor MoD employee sorted out the bits , put them into another container, which went off on the back of a train/truck/whatever to Marchwood.

5) container arrived in Antwerp and was transported to Emblem Camp.

6) parts sorted and eventually a container was sent to Viersen.

7) parts further sorted, and the stuff for 1 Div sent to Scheuen (nr Celle)

8) we sent a truck to Scheuen and picked up our bits.

The whole thing took 2 weeks! Not only that, they forgot my bl++dy valves!

Edited by schliesser92

Another good thing I remember, when we were enemy orange forces (as Para infiltration behind En lines etc), was that in order to locate the blue forces positions and headquarters etc didn't require any of the recce or fancy DF equipment, you just had to ask Helmut, Hans or Wolfgang, who went round all the locations in their Brattie wagon, they usually had a well marked up map to rival any Int Officers.

gary

I remember once being told to take my 434 to this wood and cam it up as a demonstration for some Ruperts.

The wood was a new plantation full of young saplings, and the usual "Thou shalt not knock down trees" command was still in effect.

Not being in the best of moods at messing about with Ruperts, I reversed the 434 into the nearest patch of trees, threw some cam nets over the top, and then gathered all the trees we had knocked down and uprooted and replanted them all the way round the barrow. The overall effect was a big sprawling bush in the middle of a bunch of saplings.

Eventually the future leaders of men appeared, looked at our creation, did a few immature "Hurmphs" and wandered away, not one of them having the gumption to ask how the wagon had squeezed itself in the six inch gaps between the trees, or even if we had been there since the seeds had been sown.

When they had all cleared off for their tea and biscuits, we roared off back to camp, leaving behind a messy churned up patch of ground. ( Well it wasn`t our normal stamping ground anyway).

Harry.

Having been on the receiving end of many of Wolgangs teas and coffees, I can fully appreciate why he is remembered so fondly. But does anyone here remember the other Opel Blitz van, driven by one of the ladies from the Church of Scotland `s outpost in Fallingbostel? I seem to think that they used to be on the ranges before Wolfgang, and they used to get in some impossible places too.

Another character was the old fellow who had a push bike with a little trailer attached, who used to come round our usual resting place at Heber Crossroads, and for a few marks would sweep the area. He would also trog off and fetch some of the local brew in his little anhanger.

Then there were the showers at Rhiensahlen (sp?) camp, but since I`ve just eaten,:-X enough said!!:-X

Harry.

Hi Harry, RHIENSALEN, Oh just the thought of that ****hole makes me shiver!

Do you remember the superb washing facilities in the 'Ablutions' building?

You know, the Tin trough with taps (Modern!?) & the ALWAYS freezing water to wash & shave with! Lovely! I believe it was a Luftwaffe Fighter base location on the Area during the War?

The whole Area has now been handed back to the FRG & is probably a nature park/ walking area. My best memories of that place were, driving BACK down the Witzendorf Corridor to our own Barracks at End Ex!...........:undecided:

Hi Harry, RHIENSALEN, Oh just the thought of that ****hole makes me shiver!

Do you remember the superb washing facilities in the 'Ablutions' building?

You know, the Tin trough with taps (Modern!?) & the ALWAYS freezing water to wash & shave with! Lovely! I believe it was a Luftwaffe Fighter base location on the Area during the War?

The whole Area has now been handed back to the FRG & is probably a nature park/ walking area. My best memories of that place were, driving BACK down the Witzendorf Corridor to our own Barracks at End Ex!...........:undecided:

It was a Luftwaffe night fighter base. As the are is a "Kurort", you're probably find that you're right about the current use.

I remember that whilst with 1 Div Sigs, we hosted Wellbeck College CCF out at Reinsehlen , and put them through their paces (and some of our guys made that DI in Full Metal Jacket look like a pussycat!). One of the cadets stepped into a puddle, and promptly was stuck up to his shoulders in mud. We had to borrow a Chieftain tank from the QRIH to pull him out. He made a wonderful slurping noise as he came out. The troopers from QRIH were highly amused.

Ferretfixer,

Just had a look at Reinsehlen, (thanks sch92 for correct spelling)and nearly fell off my chair when I spotted "Hotel Reinsehlen".

It looks like the hotel is situated where German barracks used to be, but the only sight of the dreaded showers seems to be just some shadows on the ground.

As part of a workshop FRG, I spent many months in that camp, and in the end we were actually invited into the German canteen, as a thanks for repairing some of their kit.

I know this will sound like an exaggeration, but once when we were working there, it rained so hard that our spanners were being swept along the road!

Another time, another exercise, and as this one had been a real b&gger, we had a little celebration on the last night, which resulted in the 434`s missing the train the next morning.

Our glorious leader decided that we had enough fuel to motor back to Detmold.

He was right , but it was so close one 434 was towed up the hill into camp.

Does nobody remember the Church of Scotland ladies??

Harry.

Gary, You cant wack 'Local Inteligence!'...........:-D

I remember one year the Sabre squadrons came back after having a achieved a phenomenally high "score" against the US Blue Forces... When asked how they achieved it in the End-Ex debrief they all replied "The Mk 1 Nose!". Apparently the US troops all used scented soap out in the field then - so the patrols just followed their noses and bounced the opposition at the appropriate time....

I remember one year the Sabre squadrons came back after having a achieved a phenomenally high "score" against the US Blue Forces... When asked how they achieved it in the End-Ex debrief they all replied "The Mk 1 Nose!". Apparently the US troops all used scented soap out in the field then - so the patrols just followed their noses and bounced the opposition at the appropriate time....

It wasn't actually much of a deal "beating" our friends from across the sea! I think that we did it ALL the time. One exercise, we were told to LET them win just once - probably didn't want them to take their ball back!

Harry, A LOT of what we all expirienced camp wise is now gone! All handed back to the german govt. Most have been extensively reworked into office complexes. or accomodation for civviy home owners. VERY sad when you look at some of the websites of former german camps in B.A.O.R. :cry: left is our memories!........

You'd really have thought they'd have learned after Charlie did that to them regularly in the 60s.

Harry, A LOT of what we all expirienced camp wise is now gone! All handed back to the german govt. Most have been extensively reworked into office complexes. or accomodation for civviy home owners. VERY sad when you look at some of the websites of former german camps in B.A.O.R. :cry: left is our memories!........

Paderborn is still a garrison. Allanbrook Barracks has hardly changed since I left in 1982.

Google maps "Paderborn". Sadly I cannot see how to lift co-ordinates from Google maps so let me walk you in.

Around the centre of Paderborn is a Ringstrasse. From Paderwall at 10 o'clock, head up Neuhäuserstr (literally the road to Schloss Neuhaus) to the junction with Elsenerstr (the road to Elsen) (main gate). The camp is bounded by Elsenerstr, Erzbergerstr, Theodor-Heuss-Str, Rathenaustr and Gieferstr. The A vehicle entrance is on the internal corner of Gieferstr, turn right and join Rathenaustr. Turn left onto Rathenaustr then right onto Neuhäuserstr to head down to the Ringstrasse, clockwise and off in the direction of Barker Bks (a Chieftain regt and a Fd Regt RA) to the Goldgrund outside the city, our Active Edge location. First indication that 15/19H had been Active Edged was a CVR(T) broken down in the middle of the Rathenstr / Neuhäuserstr junction blocking the rush hour traffic. Still, having exited the camp, the vehicle was not deemed an Active Edge failure. My wife (then-fiancee and the Paymaster's nanny) always knew when we'd gone because she'd be walking the Paymaster's daughter to Kindergarten.

Standard pre-war accom blocks around the northwest, north and northeast sides. Guardroom on the northeast corner. Between guardroom and main square (cars parked) is what was the Corporals' Mess, behind that the gym, bordering on the square. Gym, built about 1979 had a big blank red-brick wall ideal for group (squadron, etc) photos. See http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/album.php?u=216 Was that young lad third from the left back row really Lance Corporal Alien?

Between the regimental square and the LAD square was the NAAFI (bar, lounge, restaurant, shop and snooker room). Between the square and the NAAFI, first time I looked at Google Maps a couple of years ago, I could not believe they had built an open-air swimming pool. Closer inspection revealed that the old five-a-side, volleyball etc courts had had a new surface laid in a LOUD bright green.

Down the left-hand side was the Garrison Army Education Centre, cookhouse, Garrison Court Martial Centre, Sergeants' Mess overlooking the LAD square (which has had two new buildings plopped in the middle).

Between the AEC and the cookhouse on the chicane in the camp ring-road, under a tree can be seen my Regimental Signals Store (white car currently shown parked in front) where all un-issued radios and ancillaries were stored.

The other three sides of the LAD square comprised LAD (surprise) north and east sides and hangars for the two medium recce squadrons of Scorpions, Sultans, Samaritans, Spartans and Ferrets, south side. Right of the LAD square is the regimental football pitch. Right of that (between Allanbrook and Rathenaustr) was the regional (Land iirc?) Bundeswehr conscript reporting centre. We always thought it was a gaol - I don't suppose we were that far wrong. The traditional Bundeswehr sentry-box at the gate in gaudy yellow / red / black chevrons ought to have been a clue).

Right of the medium recce sabre squadron hangars and below the football pitch were the QMs' departments, Boots and Socks on the left, Tech on the right.

Below this was the bottom square with the washdown and ramps along the Erzbergerstr edge.

There is a line of new buildings along the bottom edge of the bottom square.

Between the bottom square and Theodor-Heuss-Str, Officers' Mess bottom left (with treed garden and tennis courts).

Next a hangar which I believe contained the bulk of Task Force Echo HQ and Signals Troop (who had a very minority share of the barracks) which became iirc 33 Armd Bde HQ and Signals Sqn when the Task Forces reverted to Brigades after Ex Spearpoint 80.

Next a two-story hangar (see ramp down out of the north face) with MT vehicles upstairs, inspection bay downstairs (north end) and the remainder of TFE HQ & Signals Tp in the south end.

Last but one (with skylights) was the pre-1979 gym in the north end, Command Troop hangars in the middle (three Sultans, four Ferrets, two FFRs). South end was part of A Sqn's 40 Close Recce Scimitars.

Last hangar was the bulk of A Sqn's Scimitars. If any of you has been to the RAC Gunnery School at Lulworth, my good buddy, the recently-retired Gütersloh Garrison Sergeant Major, a former 15/19H Instructor, Gunnery, assures me that on display there is the barrel of a Rarden Cannon.

About 1980 A Sqn needed to take a Scimitar up from their hangar directly opposite ours (Command Troop). We were indoors keeping cool in the through breeze (exits from both sides of the hangar wide open) on an otherwise hot, sultry West German summer's day.

We heard the roar of a Scimitar driving off, then ... "CLUNK". We all prairie-dogged out to see who had broken what.

It transpired that the Scimitar in question had been parked at the back (this hangar only had doors in the west side). They had moved out the Scimitars from in front of it, then the driver had jumped in and roared out. On the level, there was about six inches' clearance between the Rarden muzzle on full elevation and the hangar door lintel. Unfortunately he was hammering his way up the gears and motoring as the front-end raised and smacked the lintel, shifting it some six inches out of true, causing the entire hangar to be declared unsafe until it was fixed and A Sqn had to park elsewhere (I forget). The barrel of the Rarden was bent upward maybe some 20 degrees.

The driver shamefacedly went and found the Gunnery Artificer to break the news. The Tiffy laughed and accused him of talking rubbish cos you couldn't bend the barrel of a Scimitar. He came down to inspect and we watched him break down and weep.

AIUI, the barrel is now at the Gunnery School on display.

_____

Addendum. Down the right hand side of the regimental square, inside the barracks ring road (squadron accommodation on the outside), under the trees were the medium recce sqn offices with troop cages in the cellars.

Edited by AlienFTM
Missed a bit

What Mob were you with there in Hemer? I was REME Attached to 1 WFR & later 2 LI. The Irish Rangers were next door for years. the later the RRF I belive.

Mike

I was in 50 missile regt RA Menden , we was driver training in 432's and decided to have a cup of char at the sally army

And Menden is now sadly,closed....R.I.P. I went back about ten years after i left the Mob about 1992. I went to 50 Missile & saw the gates closed & a chain around the gates.

Got out & had a peek through into the camp. Weeds growing up through the Wartime cobbled roads. VERY sad sight & depressing too! It was like a ghost camp!..........:embarrassed:

I remember a camp we used, in late 70s and early 80s, for an exercise base over a few major exercises called Pinewood Camp, I think it was near Liebenau west of Neinburg (where we had a friendly Engineer Camp attached to us) but can't see it on Google maps etc. I remember it was in front of one of the largest Ammo depots in GDR, some Ordnance bods might have been based there.

Anyone else been there?

gary

Just added - found info here http://baor-locations.co.uk/PinewoodCamp.aspx

Edited by gazzaw

QOUTE: I remember it was in front of one of the largest Ammo depots in GDR, some Ordnance bods might have been based there.

Anyone else been there?

gary

Just added - found info here http://baor-locations.co.uk/PinewoodCamp.aspx

Gary, THE largest Ammo dump was 3 B.A.D, Bracht. Not too far from The Dutch Border.

(My Old Man was Armourer SGT there on one posting!) Sadly, LONG disbanded & the site cleared. :-(

Got to do some interesting detachments. One major FTX found me and two bods driving around the North German Plain in our Ptarmigan-equipped Sultan acting as a secure telephone box for the Umpires - two weeks in the sun, with a Spam outfit. Only once were we tempted to swap compo for MREs.

Later in my career, having passed my pilot's course I crewed one of a pair of Lynx sent to the south of France to support a Sandhurst final exercise. Another two weeks of fun and sunshine. It was just after the tragic accident in the UK where, on a night insertion by Puma, a TA Major had stepped off into the night while the cab was still approaching the landing site, so a lot of emphasis was put on stopping the young Rodneys from thinking they were in Vietnam and standing on the skids while we were blatting around. Anyone getting bright ideas was discouraged by being treated to a few wingovers.

Another trip away from the constraints of home-base was at two ship det to Bad Tolz to support the Special Forces School winter exercise. Being short of volunteers, myself and another Corporal pilot got paired-up. As I had about two weeks seniority over my buddy, I got Powers of Authorisation for the week, so I got all the responsibility, but no extra dosh. We got to fly some interesting trips, lived in a hotel and were basically our own bosses. Considering one of our colleagues had wrapped a Lynx around a barn on the same exercise a couple of years earlier, the powers that be had enormous faith in our self-restraint.

Edited by Yorkie370