FV430 types.

plainmilitary

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34165[/ATTACH]

Heres one of my girls sporting a peak turret ! :cool2:

Very nice indeed guys, would be great to get as many of your FV432s together as possible next year. Work has started on the next Salisbury Plain weekend and the FV432 50th anniversary is in the list for must get sorted. One idea I have had is, if we can get a fair few together, it might be worth asking the local Regiments if they would bring some of there vehicles along. I have a meeting set at WD in the next week or so and this idea is being put on the table. Don't forget, all post war and pre war vehicle owners are more than welcome to join if you wish. Work is well on the way towards a new website, this will have all the latest up-dates, news and info for this freindly and unique weekend.

Tony.......

About 40 years ago I worked on the prototype Ranger mine laying kit fitted to a 432. Does anyone know if Ranger went into service on the 432s?

hi yes the ranger mine laying system was put into active service on top of fv432s and delivered mines to an area by firing them up to a distance of 50 meters this was a very impressive piece of kit to see in action .

regards

hi yes the ranger mine laying system was put into active service on top of fv432s and delivered mines to an area by firing them up to a distance of 50 meters this was a very impressive piece of kit to see in action .

regards

Thanks, it's nice to know something I worked on was of use. It was quite an "impressive" (for which read scary) piece of kit to experiment with too. It used hot-wire detonated cartridges to fire the mine packs out of a battery of mortar-like tubes. My job was to design the fire control system, which apart form the obvious function had to test the cartridge detonators once they were installed - to be sure that in the event of failure of a few, coverage could still be complete. The balance between thorough testing and detonation was quite fine - I know, I had to go round picking up the piles of dummy mines.

Terry Gander lists 432 APC role

432 Command Vehicle

432 Ambulance

432 cargo Carries 3670 kgs cargo with seats removed

432 Recovery version

432 with Wavell

Infantry roles:-

432 81mm Morter

432 120mm Wombat

432 84mm infantry gun

432 7.62 GPMG turret

432 twin 7.62 GPMG SCAT mounting (mainly intended for Anti Aircraft use SCAT apparently refers to the mounting which "Should Cost A Tenner)

432 30mm Rarden Turret

432 Radar GS No14. Mk1

432 Milan

432 Beach version (one off, used for beach training located in Devon with special Waterproofing and exhaust re-location)

Royal Artillery Roles

432 using L4A4 Bren as main armament

FACE equipment

Cymbeline

Sonic Detection role (fitted sound detection recording maps boards and extra radios. Sound eqpt Sonic Ranging Radio Link No2 Mk1 crew of 8)

Royal Engineers versions

Bar Mine Layer

Ranger (often used towing Bar mine layer)

Giant Viper

433 Abbott

434 Carrier Maintenance

438 Swingfire

439 Signals version L4A4 armed

Edited by antarmike

Cristopher Foss also lists

432 Radar Version fitted with ZB 298 non coherent Pulsed Dopler ground surveillance equipment

432 Navigation version fitted with Sperry Navigation equipment

436 Green Archer (EMI Green Archer equipment crew of 3, was in service but replaced by Cymbeline.)

437 Pathfinder recovery vehicle Trials vehicle only to recover vehicles from river crossings.

Also lists 3 versions of 433 Abbot

Abbot

Value Engineered (V/E) Abbot (india and used by Britiish at Suffield.)

Falcon (V/E fitted twin Hispano-Suiza {Oerlikon} 30mm Guns)

Edited by antarmike

Terry Gander lists 432 APC role

432 Command Vehicle

432 Ambulance

432 cargo Carries 3670 kgs cargo with seats removed

432 Recovery version

432 with Wavell

Infantry roles:-

432 81mm Morter

432 120mm Wombat

432 84mm infantry gun

432 7.62 GPMG turret

432 twin 7.62 GPMG SCAT mounting (mainly intended for Anti Aircraft use SCAT apparently refers to the mounting which "Should Cost A Tenner)

432 30mm Rarden Turret

432 Radar GS No14. Mk1

432 Milan

432 Beach version (one off, used for beach training located in Devon with special Waterproofing and exhaust re-location)

Royal Artillery Roles

432 using L4A4 Bren as main armament

FACE equipment

Cymbeline

Sonic Detection role (fitted sound detection recording maps boards and extra radios. Sound eqpt Sonic Ranging Radio Link No2 Mk1 crew of 8)

Royal Engineers versions

Bar Mine Layer

Ranger (often used towing Bar mine layer)

Giant Viper

433 Abbott

434 Carrier Maintenance

438 Swingfire

439 Signals version L4A4 armed

Top man Mike, looks like I might have some work to do. I'm hoping that some of these great veriants still servive.

Tony.

I think I saw one of these at Tanks A Lot. Try giving Nick Mead a ring. (it was a 432 with flimsy sheet metal bracketry over the commander's hatch, Nick said it was an AA mount...)

Stone

• 4 years later...

This afternoon I dragged ours off it`s home of the last 15 year`s , from what I remember the interior was very poor and with our years of neglect will be all but rotted away. Hope to bring it indoors now and save what`s left. Tomorrow will try and break open the door and see if I can find any ID, possibly we still have it`s release papers. 430 017.jpg

Tim,

If you get the chance, could you also look to see if there is a hull number. On a production 432 it is rather lightly stamped in quite small numbers on a thin plate about an inch square that is welded to the rear of the vehicle just above the LH towing eye. I have never had a chance to look at one on a pre production vehicle - it might have a 'P' or 'W' in front of a single digit possibly. The vehicle registration should be on a builders plate just to the left of the driver, or low down just behind him on the left if it has stowage for the infra red perisciope.

David

From what I remember looking through the same hole there are also signs of fire damage inside?

Andy

Yes, when we bought it we`d assumed it was fire damaged, but the MOD used it for decontamination training, using an alkaline to wash it down on a regular basis, it was also full of spent thunderflash`s and smoke canisters.

Fascinating ! It looks to me as if the steering is by master cylinders and ordinary hydraulic brakes - I doubt that it would need to be boosted, even most Chieftains don't have power steering (very late ones do) so there would be no need on a 13 ton vehicle. I think that the two inner steering levers work a controlled differential (cletrac) similar to a normal 432 but the outer ones work the stopping brakes individually so that it can do pivot turns. M113s were the same for most of their service lives. This also gives better turning in water as there is more difference in the speed of the tracks.

It would be great to see this fully restored as it really is a 'missing link' but it will be a really horrible job cleaning the crap out of the inside. I know someone that had a Sherman that had been used for Molotov Cocktail training and was half full of broken glass and black slime. After each session it took him an hour to clean himself.

David