Deac specifications on different guns

Wolfy

Question

16 answers to this question

The basic premsis is the difference between machine guns and automatic rifles/smg's.

Absolutley, the SLR or AK would be considered an assault rifle, wheras the same fitted with heavy barrel and Bi-Pod are considered support weapons as would a bren or MG34. And that is actually regardless of how concealable. It starts to get very grey and wooly when you come up against items like the Galil (spelling?) It is considered an assault rifle but has a bipod anyway. Complicated to say the least and applies in equal premis across most of the UK firearms regulations as it is a sea of ammendments that may or may not be retrospective.

TIM

Absolutley, the SLR or AK would be considered an assault rifle, wheras the same fitted with heavy barrel and Bi-Pod are considered support weapons as would a bren or MG34. And that is actually regardless of how concealable. It starts to get very grey and wooly when you come up against items like the Galil (spelling?) It is considered an assault rifle but has a bipod anyway. Complicated to say the least and applies in equal premis across most of the UK firearms regulations as it is a sea of ammendments that may or may not be retrospective.

TIM

And plenty of SLR variants had bipods fitted as standard:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FN_FAL

Ah -that explains why all they did to the PKT in the OT's turret was to pin the chamber and blunt the firing pin.........

If thats all they did to your PKT I am amazed it was issued with a Deact Certificate as it is illegal.

The barrel must be slotted and a rod welded in. The face of the bolt must also be machined away.

Since there's so much expertise here I'll ask rather than trawl through the legislation:

What's the appropriate deactivation spec for man-portable surface-to-air missile systems? I'm sure getting it done to UK spec will triple the cost but they start off cheap in Poland :D It would be imported already deactivated to the appropriate EU spec.

Stone

Stone,

I cant find the answer to that one in the stuff on the net. Trust you to be different.........

I know Dave Samson was sent to jail for having one though. Its probably best to contact the proof house direct as they will be dealing with the certificate.

Stone,

I cant find the answer to that one in the stuff on the net. Trust you to be different.........

I know Dave Samson was sent to jail for having one though. Its probably best to contact the proof house direct as they will be dealing with the certificate.

Ouch, yes, that was something I'd like to avoid! Looking it up it did seem a bit odd (usual Daily Mail disclaimer), presumably they were most bothered about the Luger...

I work in countermeasures so it'd make a lovely display to have a launcher and a de-tubed missile as a wall hanger in the study. I'd like to rig something up like a hidden joystick to waggle the control surfaces :nut:

I think I'll have to read the legislation, I'm pretty sure removing the explosive fill and thermal battery aren't going to be enough...I assume I'd have to render each missile unable to fly as well.

Stone

Edited by Stone

Found the answer for the launch tube in here (page 28) but nothing on missiles - I guess I'll have to ask the Proof Houses about them.

Actually that document's dead useful - maybe worth putting a copy in the Reference Documents section on here?

Stone

Edited by Stone
link pointed to own webspace

Response to my (detailed) email from the local Firearms Licensing dept:

Dear Mr [stone],

Your request for information about the requirements for deactivating a missile and launcher.

This is not a matter I am asked about every day and cannot answer it straight away. I will let you know as soon as possible when I have competed my enquiries.

Regards,

So at least they are confused as well! :-D Hopefully their eventual answer will be of use to people, I've certainly seen a lot of missiles over the years so I wonder how many of them have been done to spec...! With any luck a proper FFE cert for each article will suffice, I can keep it with the deac cert for the inevitable future argument!

Stone