June 6th - November 11th HMVF campaign

Jack

There are many things a website like can accomplish. Websites and forums are very powerful tools if used and directed responsibly. I have always wanted to do many constructive things with HMVF once it was established. I never knew if HMVF would be successful or not but I did know to a certain extent that this decision was out of my hands and that members would soon decide……or perversely, the lack of, members would decide the viability of the site.

I now believe that the site has a certain amount of energy and momentum that is needed for a site to grow in both membership and content. The members on this site are second to none and I am honoured to have you all here. I can not put a value on your input, the knowledge shared to date has inspired many many people and it has also allowed others to continue with their hobby as they can now find the guidance of others and HMVF wouldn’t be here if it wasn’t for the content, time, effort that you all put in and your manners and etiquette are impeccable.

So in time honour fashion, it takes me about 10 years to get to the point so here it is. Sometimes in life you forget what it is all about and we quite often get complacent as to why we are here and more to the point, complacent to the fact that we aren’t here for long, we only live once.

I like to try and make a difference in life and I am sure we all have ideas that we would like to put in practice but we don’t as we do not have the support of like minded people around us to keep one focussed and driven. This is where HMVF steps in. – you are surrounded by like minded people.

To this end, I would like to start a campaign of drive your MV to the ‘office’ on key dates of the year. Those dates would be June 6th D-Day and November 11th. As you may know that some of us done this on June 6th year and most of us were shocked by the response of the ‘public’ mainly “what are you doing driving that today” as you can see, we have a long way to go to re-educate people the significance of that date.

It never fails to amaze me how we have, in such a short period of time, forgotten the significance of this date. It is our duty to make sure we keep this date alive, at this rate do you think people will have any idea in ten years time of what D-Day was about in?? I am being serious, I have seen our rural history go the same way even though most people living in rural areas profess to be ‘countryman’.

November 11th, we have to do the same. Again how many people really recognise the date and the significance? We are all living through another war, again. For me November 11th becomes more and more relevant year on year. I also think it is a time when we should also think of the thousands upon thousands of innocent lives that have been last to conflict – something that is so overlooked.

If those of us who can took to the roads on these dates just to catch people’s attention then we are doing our job and you never know, in 5 years times we may all see thousands of MV’s on the road – what a site. I will hit the PR button and get as much press involved as we can.

Any thoughts?

Best wishes.

Jack.

6th of June never gets forgotten in our house, its our wedding anniversary! (Yep we did know it was D-day, planned to leave church in a Half-track but couldn't afford it back then) Equally though it normally means that that the last thing I am doing is driving the Jeep, and especially not going to Normandy! :cry:

Nov 11 will need a bit more thought, at work they have suggested the silence is observed but not everyone bothers, it is their choice of course. Will certainly try and have the jeep out to mark it this year, its a Saturday I believe.

Keep up the good work! :banana:

Paul.

Like Joris said nov 11th hasn't got a meaning for Dutchmen since we were neutral.

Still because I know several British veterans I wear the Poppy which does get people's attention.

Question; on British TV I see people wear Poppy's days before Nov 11.

When does it start and why are they worn days earlier?

Hello Jack,

I think this is an interesting idea; but I am not sure how my tatty 1979 VW Iltis would fit in with a column of WW2 vehicles. We would need to see all eras catered for with some care. Obviously your main impact would be in the major cities. I work in London and am considered to be an eccentric anorak at my work for my military interests coupled with some bewilderment that I was once a soldier. The emphasis for any event like this is always going to be WW2 and I have some difficulty imagining how a bunch of inevitable Land Rovers and Ferrets could be included (I pick these for the sake of their immense popularity - not any dislike). My employer is a media organisation big on claiming support for the military and veterans - but, to be frank, this is just cynical in my view and is a way of upping sales. I would not be able to bring my vehicle on site during the day because of parking rules. As far as I know, I am the only MV owner here - but it is hard to say. So, if your idea took off and got wide support in industry/business I feel I would be creating a pretty poor image turning up in an albeit interesting (to us) veteran of the Panzer school at Castle Martin which is far off looking presentable. Maybe it would be more practical to aim for some runs into the major towns and cities where we could achieve a proper mix of vehicles to impress the general public. But i think this would have to be done with some care and you would need to get support from the major groups (but you knew that already). I'm not fussed about paying the congestion charge or even causing some congestion once in a blue moon. I think your idea has merit and needs a lot of debate from across the MV spectrum. But we would need to be fully sure of the kind of impact it will have on the public and the transport network and just how practical an idea it can be. We would also need to assess the kind of image we want to present in terms of re-enactors and weaponry taking part. Like you, I would like to see what everyone else thinks. So, come on....

:goodidea: I've taken the jimmy to work several times and it has created a good deal of interest amongst staff and customers, I always make sure I observe the silence

whether in the office or out in a vehicle. I collect for Poppy Day with the local branch of the RBL and several of us take vehicles to support the occasion, sadly since I no longer have a vehicle this will not be possible in future.

Nice idea this Jack. May it gather the momentum and recognition it should.

I'll definately be putting it to some of the lads and get the wheels out on the 6th.

Can't take mine to work sadly

We took a couple of Dodges and a lightweight landy to the local supermarket last year to help with the poppy collecting... it certainly drew a crowd... which helps...

Ok chaps.

Have had enough feedback, emails and PM's to know that we are on the right track.

I am going to put this up on the front as a news item to keep everyone in the loop and please do spread the word to many people as possible please - lets do and be part of something special.

Many thanks to all for your support on this.

Best wishes.

Jack.

Great idea Jack, I took my GMC to work on the 6th this year after reading your comments on another forum, it was quite interesting talking to people who had forgotten the significance of the 6th of June or whom didn't know about it like some of the youngsters I met. November 11th will see me and a few other making our way to a carpark local and selling poppys on behalf of the Royal British Legion. I'm going to try to get the local Legion to allow us follow the parade through the village whilst carrying a few of the vets in the vehicles who find it a little bit of a strain walking the 1/2 mile to the church.

Keep up the good work Jack

regards

Steve