Help me fill my budget!

Scarab

Right,

I'm moving into a new house in a couple of months with a nice big set of garages, all fitted with heating and dehumidifier just installed, and a dedicated workshop attached. The good lady has given me permission to have one "toy" in there for good behaviour.

I'd love something from the WWII period, and would dearly love it to be an axis vehicle or something used in India/Burma/North Africa by the allies. I've got C+E, as well as H on my license and got decent experience of restoring and fabricating - as well as a willingness to learn.

My budget is £70k over the first 12 months, If I spend it all straight away then the first year will have to be pretty tight on the purse strings, I'm sure you get the idea.

So what do we think my options are?

All help appreciated!

A couple of questions for you , no 1 , do you want a wheeled or tracked vehicle ? , no 2 , does it have to fit in the garage ? , the reason i ask is that i co own a Sexton self propelled gun with Carl Brown that we for sale , its tracked and its WW2 , it might just fit the bill , but i dont expect it will fit in your garage !!!

P.S We had it at the W and P show this year running around in it all week .

Regards Adrian

I had had the amount you refer too I would dive in head first for Adrians Sexton -

Lovely bit of kit and a bit different from a Sherman at a fraction of the cost.

I have been in the hobby years and can only remember seeing a couple of Sexton's in that time.

You can buy pretty much any soft skin from WWII with the budget you have and quite a bit of the armour too.

Pretty much depends on what floats your boat - or vehicle!!!

Its a pretty big garage, its actually a 6 car design so about 20 feet "Deep" 47 feet "wide" and 11 feet high. Whatever I get might need to go in sideways but a bit of parallel parking never hurt anyone eh?

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys, I'm doing my research! any and all suggestions considered.

For the record if its bigger than a car then I think tracked is how I'd like to go.

The one thing I forgot to mention is NOTHING American, please! Commonwealth or Axis :D

I guess depends on what you want to do with it, show, drive, pose, camp etc etc.

I would not be in a mad rush until you did a lot of research as nothing worse than buying something then hating it later. Millwebs is most likely a good start http://www.milweb.co.uk/home.php as you can look the classified then also find a list of dealers.

Then in here to research it and ask about it. Ask Jack for some Pathfinder magazines

My fav's.... A Schwimmerwagon are quite pricey but nice from the Axis side. Big a Scammel recovery truck. The Sexton would be interesting. Lots of variety, spend a month in this madhouse and you discover new vehicles all the time that you never heard of before

Also depends if you want a complex rebuild or something easy. For me a challenge is all part of the fun.

A further thought for you to consider before jumping in is are you looking for a investment or a toy !!! , in my opinion certain vehicles would be a better investment than others , now you said you dont want to be American but American armour is a pretty sound investment at the moment, you could buy a International M5/M9 halftrack and i think it would be a good investment and a pretty cool bit of kit and they were used buy the british , it would also fit in your garage and you can drive them on the road .

If you are considering spending upto 70K then you need to think of it as an investment and you have a vast number of different vehicles to chose from, happy hunting .

Certainly it'd be viewed as an investment. I absolutely love the look of that Dingo. I'm hoping that tomorrow at Airbourne and next week at Military Mayhem may just help me make my mind up and hopefully get a chance to speak to some current owners of the kind of thing I'm after.

Thanks guys, all the advice has been great.

Alex

There's not much doubt that WW2 tracked armour and axis vehicles are sound investments (provided you don't pay over the odds to start with!!!). The problem is knowing what the going rate is as it is a bit of a closed shop.

For axis vehicles, I've always loved the look of the Horch 901 series. There are several in preservation and come up for sale every now and again, such as this one on Milweb for 110,000 Euros (too much, surely?).

http://www.milweb.net/classifieds/large_image.php?ad=53610&cat=3

Or if you fancy something else, keep an eye on the classifieds on VW166 site (all sorts of axis vehicles pop up for sale on here): http://www.vw166.com/schwimmwagen/

Axis Sd.Kfz. halftracks and armour are probably out of your price range. But if the Maultier at W&P were for sale, I'd jump at it if it I could afford it.

Edited by Runflat