Interesting CVR(T) Sabres

sirhc

We have just started working on a pair of very sad CVRT Sabres, which both need quite a lot of work. Having already fully restored one, and got another one running and driving, I have noticed a few things on these two which are quite interesting. I am waiting for Merlin printouts, but for the mean time here are some photos.

Firstly both of these Sabres have been up-armoured, and have all optics removed. I believe these are Regular Army vehicles, the other 2 were TA ones, and I think these will have been fitted with upgraded sights. I'll post some pictures of regular army Sabres in Kosovo later.

Here's the turret up-armouring:

03FD10 looks to have led a hard life, as it was converted to a Sabre in 1994 and then re-built in 2001. During the last rebuild I guess it was fitted with lots of nice bits, because the Army decided to remove most of them before disposal. The hull wiring loom has been cut out, and the dash and switch box completely removed. Here's a clue to its last deployment though!

The second vehicle is 49AT37. This would have been an RAF Scorpion originally, and it's been built without a floatation screen (no holes) and the later lift up decks and towing attachments. This one was also converted in 1994, but not rebuilt. This one has more layers of paint than I've ever seen on a vehicle, there must be 8 very thick layers. One of the layers near the bottom appears to be white.

Were any Sabres deployed to Bosnia? Where else could this one have been painted white?

Hopefully the Merlin Database has the answers!

Chris

IMG_0449.JPG

IMG_0184.JPG

IMG_0472.JPG

I would say that 03 FD 10 has been to BATUS as that sticker is what gets slapped on during the agriculture inspection upon entry to Canada.

Like our Spartan with the add on armour that was once all yellow perhaps it was a BATUS modification for the ranges.

R

Were any Sabres deployed to Bosnia? Where else could this one have been painted white?

Certainly they were deployed to the Balkans. About 1995-6 while I was at BT Old Street, I saw a BBC report from the Balkans. The camera started on the VRN, 02FDxx and I announced to the family that this was a Scorpion. I had enough information to be absolutely certain. Then the camera panned upward and I found myself staring at the muzzle of a Rarden.

No, no, no, this was not right. Scimitars started in the 04FD series. Having spent a career surrounded by Scorpions (and crewed 04FD14) and Scimitars (all parked in the hangar opposite while I was in Command Troop), I knew this to be fact beyond argument. Then I realised that the turret appeared to have been visited by headhunters and shrunk. I was taking big bites of humble pie and barely managing to register that the interviewer was talking to a Major Polley, Light Dragoons, evidently the squadron leader, and he bore an uncanny resemblance to the 2Lt Polley, who had joined 15/19H a decade and a half earlier (the other side of Options For Change before 15/19H and 13/18H became LD), whilst trying to work out what I was seeing.

Monday morning back in Old Street, I spoke to an RAC STAB on the permanent staff and he told me of the recent sad demise of Scorpion.

As to white-painted CVR(T)s, it can only have been a UN posting and I am unaware of any being sent to the UN other than in the Balkans. Further, the time frame really only fits the Balkans: shortage of CVR(T)s after killing off Scorpion, Sabre as an interim until such time as Scimitar numbers can be balanced. (I have often wondered whether MOD went to Alvis and asked them to start making more Scimitars or whether the balance was restored because of the decrease of CVR(T) numbers required on the Orbat.)

Winter white paint is more like whitewash and I cannot imagine anyone painting over the top of it and expecting it to stick. I never had the pleasure of serving with AFNORTH but AFAIK, their CVR(T)s were painted winter white over NATO green / black, just all over as opposed to the 1/3 , 1/3 , 1/3 cam employed (one winter in my five years) in BAOR.

As to another poster suggesting that the Army paints vehicles white for bling: nope, never seen or heard anything like it.

(Stands by to await incoming correction.)

We have just started working on a pair of very sad CVRT Sabres, which both need quite a lot of work.

Hi Chris

They're certainly grubby but they don't look toooo bad, at least externally. Missing wiring looms could be a pain though.

I have a selection of take out engines for you to peruse if you need a couple...!

Cheers and look forward to seeing the pics as you progress..

Chris,

I can only see one entry for BATUS, how do you figure "some time"?

Do I get a cookie or hero biscuit for being correct on saying it had been here in Canada?

R

Robin,

The Canada customs incpection sticker is still on the vehicle, and the BATUS entry was in 1989. It was still a Scorpion then, and has been rebuilt twice since. Therefore it must have gone back at some point, so it's been there at least twice.

No buscuit I'm afraid as I knew it had been there when I saw the sticker!

Chris

Here's an interesting photo (or maybe I'm just sad!) This is the area usually covered by the front mud flap on 49AT37. It's obviously not been painted since the mid 90s as it's still white.

Chris

IMG_0515.JPG

Here's an interesting photo (or maybe I'm just sad!) This is the area usually covered by the front mud flap on 49AT37. It's obviously not been painted since the mid 90s as it's still white.

Chris

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32710[/ATTACH]

No not sad at all Chris - it is these little snippets that make pre owned vehicles interesting..

My Spartan still has a (very grubby) list of call signs inside it - including CET's and AVRE's so I guess an armoured engineer squadron.