Live 25pdr. LAW??

Guest matt

Hi,

I'm trying to find out what licence is required to legally own a live firing 25 pound artillery gun in the UK,can anyone help? is it a section 1 or 5 firearm?

Any helps greatfully received.

Thanks,

Matt.

Hi,

I'm trying to find out what licence is required to legally own a live firing 25 pound artillery gun in the UK,can anyone help? is it a section 1 or 5 firearm?

Any helps greatfully received.

Thanks,

Matt.

Matt,

Section 1, if it was a section 5 weapon you would not be able to own one unless you were an armourer, Section 5 weapons are prohibited.

Lee

I understand that it used to be looked upon as a section 1 FAC as it was effectively a single shot breech loading rifle.

However I had a discussion with a few people at Bovington during the tankfest (so this is just hearsay evidence), but they said that attitudes have now changed. I was told that under new guidelines any weapon that could potentially be used to fire depleted uranium rounds was being moved further up the FAC scale. It doesn't matter that the 25 pounder never used such ammo, if something modern is close enough to be converted then the alarm bells start ringing in the Home Office. Again I have to stress that this is only what I was told by a couple of HMV owners, but they did own similar artillery pieces / tank main guns.

I understand that it used to be looked upon as a section 1 FAC as it was effectively a single shot breech loading rifle.

However I had a discussion with a few people at Bovington during the tankfest (so this is just hearsay evidence), but they said that attitudes have now changed. I was told that under new guidelines any weapon that could potentially be used to fire depleted uranium rounds was being moved further up the FAC scale. It doesn't matter that the 25 pounder never used such ammo, if something modern is close enough to be converted then the alarm bells start ringing in the Home Office. Again I have to stress that this is only what I was told by a couple of HMV owners, but they did own similar artillery pieces / tank main guns.

The info you were given was a Load of Rubbish... that being said each Police authority have different views when it comes to Firearms & some try to implement their own rules when it comes to Firearms..

No amendments can be made yo the Firearms act without going before Parliament, no such bill is before Parliament at present

It is a section 1 You need a good reason for ownership and the gun must be secured the firing pin must be removed when not in use and kept in a locked container Essex were very understanding about ours but I do know off at least one case where the inspecting officer got out his pram because the 25pdr was not in the loft in a gun cabbinet :roll: 8-)

• 3 years later...

There is also the issue of when you take it out somewhere, you ( the FAC holder ) must be with it ( the live gun ) at all times and not be left unattended this goes for transportation as well, if it was on a transporter you would need to be with it as well, this is what put me off getting a live 105mm Howitzer.

Edited by R Cubed
spelling

Since the original question seems to have been answered, how about missile launchers? Most of them are fired electrically, but the phrase 'from which any shot, bullet or other missile can be discharged' springs to mind...

So, is it a firearm or not a firearm, and if so what FAC would it have to be held on, or instead how would you deactivate one?

Stone

Since the original question seems to have been answered, how about missile launchers? Most of them are fired electrically, but the phrase 'from which any shot, bullet or other missile can be discharged' springs to mind...

So, is it a firearm or not a firearm, and if so what FAC would it have to be held on, or instead how would you deactivate one?

Stone

Section 5 or buy one already deactivated

Section 5 of the Firearms Act is the , anything we don't like or don't want section. You can get a Section 5 licence. But you have to convince the Secratary of State at the Home Office you need one. It also covers such things as Pepper Spray and Blowguns. My Vet has limited section five licence. He uses a blow gun to anthtise animals. The drug in the dart is a 'noxious liquid' - read '99% fatal if it gets on human skin, 100% if it gets under the skin- so that comes under Section 5

The info you were given was a Load of Rubbish... that being said each Police authority have different views when it comes to Firearms & some try to implement their own rules when it comes to Firearms..

No amendments can be made yo the Firearms act without going before Parliament, no such bill is before Parliament at present

With regards to the above qoute. It is More & more Apparant that SOME F/Arms Dept Officials attempt to enforce what they call 'Force Policy'. IE: 'It is Force Policy to reduce to the minimum, the amount of F/Arms in circulation'. I have heard this rubbish time & time again. You must Politely but FIRMLY point out that 'Force Policy' is NOT Law. & attempting to implement thier own ideas is UNLAWFULL! If you have a requirement & no Record, there is NOTHING stopping you from appyling for an FAC with NO Ammo for a 25Pdr.

Mike. ;)

I know that down at Firepower none of their guns are deacctivated but the 2 (25 pdr & 2 pdr) that they use for kids to pull the firing hadles on (.22 blanks) do have their firing pins locked securely away when not in use in secure gun cabinets.

I belive Bona Fide Museums are exempt a lot of things under the F/Arms Act! They get a Licence almost automaticaly as large ordanance peieces cannot be concealed under coats Etc.......:D

did hear talk many years ago about all on shotgun license but things may have changed, Jason may know.

Curator is MOD museum is a private Ltd company wholly owned by the RA.

If it'single shot with a smooth bored barrel. It is Sec2 (Shotgun) HOWEVER, the BLANK ammo may be something quite different! Any Blank round over 1" Diameter is Sec.1 F/Arm Licence Required.

I had a German 35/36 37mm PAK. I smoothbored the Barrel & got it re-proofed. It is the only one in the world Legaly done to do so. I sold the gun many years later & it is with a collector now on Jersey.

I did four (Smoothbored) for A.F Budge when they were at the hight of thier career. And got Certificates of unprovability for them. Which meant they could be legaly sold on S/Gun Cert but NOT fired (LEGALY!)

You COULD get it smoothbored, BUT some people would want the originality, which I can understand.

These days, the security conditions for Sec.2 & Sec.1 are pretty much the same so it wouldnt make a lot of difference! Getting a 'Ticket' for a Large ordanance peice would be a lot easier than getting one for a small arm. Because of it's very nature of being 'Large', you cant hide it easliy! It is Overt & VERY noticable! :D

Mike.

If it'single shot with a smooth bored barrel. It is Sec2 (Shotgun) HOWEVER, the BLANK ammo may be something quite different! Any Blank round over 1" Diameter is Sec.1 F/Arm Licence Required.

I had a German 35/36 37mm PAK. I smoothbored the Barrel & got it re-proofed. It is the only one in the world Legaly done to do so. I sold the gun many years later & it is with a collector now on Jersey.

I did four (Smoothbored) for A.F Budge when they were at the hight of thier career. And got Certificates of unprovability for them. Which meant they could be legaly sold on S/Gun Cert but NOT fired (LEGALY!)

You COULD get it smoothbored, BUT some people would want the originality, which I can understand.

These days, the security conditions for Sec.2 & Sec.1 are pretty much the same so it wouldnt make a lot of difference! Getting a 'Ticket' for a Large ordanance peice would be a lot easier than getting one for a small arm. Because of it's very nature of being 'Large', you cant hide it easliy! It is Overt & VERY noticable! :D

Mike.

as has been written elsewhere getting a fac or adding some items is very much a postcode lottery I remember talking to a reenactor from the midlands who had tried getting a small German field piece put on his licence but was categorically refused but his mate in the next county managed it no problem at all

Mike.

Yes I know the gun you sent to Jersey, actually have vidio of it in a one to one duel with a 25 pounder. :-D

as has been written elsewhere getting a fac or adding some items is very much a postcode lottery I remember talking to a reenactor from the midlands who had tried getting a small German field piece put on his licence but was categorically refused but his mate in the next county managed it no problem at all

Nice to know we have 'Continuity' within our lovely Police Forces! Well, we are bowing down to Brussels acording to Mr. (Charlie) Brown, and putting our legislation on an even footing. IE: The proposed Impending legislation we are all concerned about over our MOT exempt vehicles being one such subject.

BUT ILL'BET A PINCH TO A BULLS FOOT WE WONT BE ALLOWED HANDGUNS AGAIN, UNLIKE ANY OF THE EU 'BROTHER' COUNTRIES!!!! :mad: