Jack - Matador

Jack

never thought I would here myself say this.....but I am going to look at a Matador tomorrow.......as I found it tonight and I going to take some pictures tomorrow and try and find out who owns it and if they would like to sell it :-o it does look pretty dead!

......owning something British - have I been out in the sun to long :-o :? :cry: :oops:

Hi Ash.

This one isn't far from me about 7 miles south of Sherborne

Bit far gone for my talents :-o but needs to be saved or at least put into dry storage until someone wants it! The British knew how to build vehicles - this is built like a battleship - makes a GMC look like a Corgi toy!!

P7300031.jpg

P7300029.jpg

P7300024.jpg

P7300021.jpg

P7300022.jpg

Hi Jack,

It doesn't look THAT bad! Matador cabs are prone to rot but I have seen them restored from a much worse state than that.

The thing is due to their size most people can't accommodate them,so they don't tend to make much money. There is an early one(chassis#461) for sale in this months Classic & Vintage Commercials mag for £1500 as a part restored runner. The other point to watch if it's a truck which has been used for logging(which most have) is the chassis has often been shortened.

Matt.

I really do hand it to you Jack...... The old Matador is quite a beast!! Does the motor look OK? I presume it has been standing for some time, obviously the breaks will be stuck on etc....

I have a similar case with this Mark 1 Stolly near us, it has sat there for nearly 20 years and it has only deteriated since then, I would love to restore it but (A) I don't have the time and (B) I don't have the tools, the resources etc.

Well Done for being brave.... maybe a few more of us need to be like that at times... :roll:

Thanks,

Mick.

A real mans truck Jack, the best winching vehicle ever made and their pulling capacity is awesome. The main drawback is the slow roadspeed, even with the higher ratio final drives that some were fitted with you would do well to attain 30mph.

A real mans truck Jack, the best winching vehicle ever made and their pulling capacity is awesome. The main drawback is the slow roadspeed, even with the higher ratio final drives that some were fitted with you would do well to attain 30mph.

Not dissimilar to that Stalwart Mick knows of then!!!!! :-) Mine averages about 35 mph....

Jack

I too have had my eye on this Matador for some 10 years or more, the owners are Powells of Sherborne, we too can give it a good home with our Matador and Scammell Pioneer in Yeovil. Although we have pursued it on many occasions the owner is always slow in responding. I have heard that the timber yard is to be let again forcing him to make a decision soon, hopefully. May the best (or crazy) man win.

Cheers

Jack

I too have had my eye on this Matador for some 10 years or more, the owners are Powells of Sherborne, we too can give it a good home with our Matador and Scammell Pioneer in Yeovil. Although we have pursued it on many occasions the owner is always slow in responding. I have heard that the timber yard is to be let again forcing him to make a decision soon, hopefully. May the best (or crazy) man win.

Cheers

Well done SV2S.

I have stepped out of this one as my mission was to make sure this vehilce of history was saved - that now looks like, in one form or another that this is going to happen - mission complete.

Cheers.

Jack.

Hi all,

as said be for i know of one other (used in a local timber yard)and was still in use 2 years ago until the water pump failed. the owner then in his mid eighties was thinking of re-tiring if any one here secures this vehicle i do not mind letting the the person know of this one (not guaranteed it still there)

Ashley

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Jack

Cheers

Hi Tim - have you had much luck with this?

Just a quick note on Matadors- Having owned two wrecker re-bodied Matadors, one thing to look out for is the water jacket plates on the fuel pump side of the engine. Although they may look fine from the outside, they can be paper thin and anybody restoring one for the first time should remove and inspect these plates. I found this out the hard way on my first outing to a show with my second truck when the engine seized up. :oops: I had bought the engine as a take out (runner), and the plate behind the fuel pump had a bit of body filler in it which fell out along with all the water. I had not seen this repair, and the vehicle had held its water absolutely fine on previous test drives. Fortunately the engine freed off when cool, and after repairing the plate ran well until sold on. They don't make em like that any more....

By day, mild mannered reporter for HMVF magazine...

but when the call comes Jack Beckett becomes

RUSTBECKETT!

Is it a bird, is it a plane...

I dunno its too badly corroded to tell but...

Rustbeckett'll save it... or find someone else who will :whistle: