Ferret wheel wobble

pigdog

OK wheel is OFF. I'm getting play from the outer steering lever. So when I push the front of the hub in it moves the steering in. Could it be the steering thats loose?

Now, how do I get the wheel hub cover off??

The bolts are out.

-Chris

120-2064_IMG..JPG

120-2064_IMG..JPG

Edited by pigdog

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK wheel is OFF. I'm getting play from the outer steering lever. So when I push the front of the hub in it moves the steering in. Could it be the steering thats loose?

Now, how do I get the wheel hub cover off??

The bolts are out.

-Chris

Chris,

From what you are saying this is movement in the steering linkage....and not a loose hub? Going by your red indications, then it could be that the inner steering arm is loose on the splines. You will have to refer to your EMER, the outer arm is splined to a shaft in the bolt on housing on outside of hull, the inner arm is on same shaft, but retained by a special ring nut. It was not unusual for these to come loose, by refering to the EMER you will see that access to the ring nut is possible from outside the vehicle, but a special tool will have to be made to tighten nut if loose.

As for removing hub cap, if all the screws are out, then a big mallet behind the outer lip, don't forget to put a tray beneath because there is bound to be oil still in there.

The whole hub/brake housing and the steering lever moves together when pushed in. If it was just a hub problem would movement/play only be in the hub and not the steering arm?

So the dowels hold the cap together with the inner gear ring?

I hope my description of the steering play makes sense. I could see if I can take a short video if that would help.

Thanks -Chris

The whole hub/brake housing and the steering lever moves together when pushed in. If it was just a hub problem would movement/play only be in the hub and not the steering arm?

So the dowels hold the cap together with the inner gear ring?

I hope my description of the steering play makes sense. I could see if I can take a short video if that would help.

Thanks -Chris

Chris,

The hub problem that we had been relating about previously, can be detected by movement betwen brake drum and brake backplate, in easy terms. seems this is not your problem at this moment though.

It might be useful to get someone holding the steering wheel firmly while you move the hub to detect this play. By reading the EMER and studying the diagrams, you will understand where to look for the problem.

The hub cap is on short dowels and with sealant as well, they need a sharp rap with a hammer or mallet to remove.

If It's your steering linkage that is the problem. And this seems now to point to this from your discription & Pics. It will be a LOT easier to repair than if the hub interior has a problem! At least the steering linkage is outside of the Hull & VISIBLE. I would sort this defect out first, then. When you have done that, put your hands either side of the hub assembly & rock left & right quickly, HARD, & as fast as you can!

Any major play will be imidiately apparant!

You might very well be lucky & discover that it is ONLY your steering linkage that has a problem!

Fingers Crossed!

Good Luck & keep us all posted!

Mike.

morning , just about to start servicing my ferret, have you actually got a problem with your ferret pigdog?only saying this because when i grab hold of hub at 3 and 9 o clock position and move mine back and forth it will feed back thru steering arm ,if u can post a video it will help a lot,like previous poster said if u get someone or something to lock steering wheel in one place and then try to move hub there should be little or no movement.

Ok the above short vid shows the play in the steering levers when I hold the 9/3 O'clock postion of the hub and rock it in and out. I cant see any movement between the brake hub/backplate.

So is it the steering then?

-Chris

yep theres a problem ! from the vid does look like hub rather than steering

Can you see any movement between brake drum and backplate? I can't, from the video, but I can see movement in the steering relay. It would need someone to hold the steering wheel tight, to determine if it is the inner arm loose on the spline as I earlier mentioned.

Ok. I turned the steering wheel to the left slightly to take up the play and then held it in place as best I could so it wouldnt move, then grabed the hub at 9/3 position and pushed it in the front and back.

The play is still present in the steering levers/hub.

Does this mean it is the outer steering levers??

-Chris

what actually is it? Does the lever break or come loose in the housing? I printed out the EME instructions on removal, but it seems a bit complex, and calls for special tools.

Now what do I do?

I'm gonna put the hub back together do I use silicone RTV around the inside edges to seal it from leaking oil?

Thanks-Chris

what actually is it? Does the lever break or come loose in the housing? I printed out the EME instructions on removal, but it seems a bit complex, and calls for special tools.

Now what do I do?

I'm gonna put the hub back together do I use silicone RTV around the inside edges to seal it from leaking oil?

Thanks-Chris

Chris,

the lever is on a tapered splined shaft. You will find on these sort of vehicles that there are quite a few special tools required, no escape from that I am afraid. As for resealing the hub cap, I am not a lover of RTV, prefering the old style joint sealers, the gasket you found should not have been used, they are a face joint.

That 'Gasket' is an Old Workshop Jobcard! an EXTREMELY commonly encountered item!

It was made by puting the card over the hub end & tapping with a spanner all round the perifhery & also the holes. This had the effect of 'cutting' the exact shape of the hub & made a 'gasket'. I have done this,as Im convicnced Richard has, :D on other equipments. HUNDEREDS of times! It was a normal VM thing.

The Ferret hub should really only be smeared with Hylomar which was a Blue sealant recomended by Rolls Royce & was available from the G1098 stores. I used to keep a tube in my Toolbaox as a VM. :D

Richard will im sure, recomend a current comercial equivalent compound.

Mike.

That 'Gasket' is an Old Workshop Jobcard!

The Ferret hub should really only be smeared with Hylomar which was a Blue sealant recomended by Rolls Royce

Ah yes, on having a closer look at the photo it is a job card, I can see the green printed lines on it ! A common thing to see on dismantling something. But it was not usual to see gaskets on the hubs as shown, Hylomar is available commercially now, but any of that sort of sealer is suitable. A far superior sealant which we also used, was Wellseal, another Rolls Royce concoction.

Ah yes, on having a closer look at the photo it is a job card, I can see the green printed lines on it ! A common thing to see on dismantling something. But it was not usual to see gaskets on the hubs as shown, Hylomar is available commercially now, but any of that sort of sealer is suitable. A far superior sealant which we also used, was Wellseal, another Rolls Royce concoction.

And available to the M.O.D at Rolls Royce prices!..............:cool2:

Mike

any semi setting joint compund should do, I prefer not to use a genuinely non setting compund on the wheel hub becuase it could eventually be spun out by the centrfugal forces so I prefer the semi setting variety.

I used Red Hermetite on mine, you used to be able to buy it in Halfrauds (before they switched to only selling bling for chav motors) but Hermetite stopped making it so Hylomar now market it instead.

original hylomar blue if you can get it and afford it, or their hylolite version if you want cheaper, a good motor factor will stock it

http://www.hylomar.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=64&Itemid=138

http://www.hylomar.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=60:hylotyte-red&catid=1:latest-news&Itemid=18