Leyland mmlc conversion

HI dont know if this is of interest to you guys out there but recently aquired Leyland drops is finally getting converted in to recovery vehicle, I know it is not Historic but it has had a milatary past and i thougt it might be of interest to someone warching how it progresses. If not apt on this site please let me know. After a slow start finally got a few little jobs done to chassis replacement front axle a couple of weak second axle front springs replaced rear axle oil leak on rear hub just got a fault to sort out on power steering may need advice of you ex reme on this. anyway have started conversion Have started on subframe and made temp mounts on to this have fitted headstock from a hydraulically driven Holmes type crane. Behind this is fitted a large boughton hydraulicng should see me cutting up 1/2 in plate and drilling loads of 3/4 holes to fasten suprame and rear legs and spades on

jaktess 035..jpg

jaktess 033..jpg

1..jpg

Struggling to get enough light for camera as inside shed. These are slightly better. As you can see have located rear fairlead for winch and got pivots for crane boom in situ. Winch is a monster i think it will winch any thing we want on single line the two over head winches for boom are 12.5 ton line pull on full drum. these winches will also swivel to the sides for side pulls or even over the cab for self recovery.

jaktess 041..jpg

jaktess 040..jpg

jaktess 036..jpg

you are building this as an off road recovery truck I guess....where did you source the scammel, I want one but so far have not found one in good condition...I have a monster winch, x 2.

cant understand the boom paraphernalia, blue on the picture, what is it and or what does it do, you say winch over the cab for self recovery, now thats scary?...

The blue bit is the headstock of a twin boom crane. The twin boom crane was patented by a guy called Ernest Holmes in the 1920s. During the war They were used in their 1000s by Us and allied forces mostly on the Diamond t 969. They were a simple but brilliant piece of kit that had no limitations only the imagination of the operator held them back After the war development continued and a new model was built this was the Holmes 750. this became the main stay of all civillian recovery companies throughout the world. it was rated as 25 ton. It was found that with some simple rigging and suitable anchor a relatively lightwieght chassis could easily exert a winch load of 60 tons on a casualty with out imposing to much load on its self. The English importer of these cranes found by the 70s HS laws meant he was having trouble selling them as they had no safety overload protection. they would litrally winch till they broke. So he designed a hydraulically driven version this was called the Dominator This is the blue bit on the Leyland although i am not using the twin booms on it just the headstock which has the winches mounted in it.

Hope this answers your question Oh I bought the truck off Dave Crouch

Reading Cast vehicle notice for this vehicle it reads

UNIT title DST

UIN A0815A

Reg no 82KH59

Does this give any history of vehicle

DST would indicate the Defence School of Transport at Leconfield. It might not have gone in to active service, but served its time on training.

• 2 weeks later...

Have today taken truck out side to strip back to bare chassis. Subframe will be removed and reinforced and all welded up for proper head stock is to be shot blasted reconditined and primered main winch will be cleaned and primered along with a frame and roller assembly. While this is going on i will be cutting and mounting frame reinforcement plates to chassis and building rear leg assemblies. Also mending those annoying air leaks you allways get on plastic pipes when burning or cutting near chassis. Took photos to try and give a better view of truck out in open. All turned out too dark better have a look at settings on camera while i am at it

Ps that ladder type boom is getting yeplaced with some thing a tad bigger just used it get idea wher lifting ram brackets needed ro be

jaktess 037..jpg

jaktess 038..jpg

It is my own personal project. Even so no vehicles at our spot are for show. All have to earn their living but the lads here take pride in them and the modern ones do attend truck shows where they have won prizes. This one no doubt will end up with a nice paint job and attend the same shows if only as a conversation piece

Grand idea of the self recover over the cab, the only flaw to that idea is you would have to be attached to something higher than the cab or you would end up with cabriolet!

What about a rear spade? Is that in the works?

R

Long while replying despite what it looks like on pictures you can actually winch forward over the cab i did a dry run when pulling the ropes of before stripping and blasting head stock. One snag though if back to ground level you have to be 100ft away min . Will think of a way round that on this truck.

No spade at back as such But will have two independant rear legs which can be used as spades. We usually put hooks on the faces of the legs and these are use to drive a sleeper or rsj under ground as we winch back on soft going and give a good anchor

With regards to self recovering over the cab i am not so sure. With the cable so high i would have thought it would tend to pull the front of the truck deeper down into the ground. If really stuck it might even slew the whole truck round to one side. Still it might be a good party trick to stand it on its nose:nut: You might even be able to fip it arse over tit:D

With regards to self recovering over the cab i am not so sure. With the cable so high i would have thought it would tend to pull the front of the truck deeper down into the ground. If really stuck it might even slew the whole truck round to one side. Still it might be a good party trick to stand it on its nose:nut: You might even be able to fip it arse over tit:D

not so usually if we get stuck of road its the back end whats lost it due to getting winched in to holes made by legs spades . if it happened to slew it sideways that would be great simple job to keep going and winch out backwards believe me have done it will dig out pics. Nobodys daft enough to flip one endways its not like manning a crane where once you have gone over centre the wieght of the boom takes over

Edited by cosrec
missed a bit

Not quite the same but your post reminded me of this incident. I suspect they wound the brakes off while it was on its side and then had a spot of brain fade.:shocked:

Seen that one before classic. How would you ring up base to report that minor cock up?

I used to drive DROPS in the Army. Nice to see something different being done with it.

I hope you will consider spraying it NATO Green? Would make a nice addition to the wrecker fleet and would certainly raise the eyebrows of any Reccymec driving past.