A little bit about me

Brian

Hi All

Name is BRIAN some know me as BERLIN-BRIAN, Live in Hameln Germany,Home to 28 Engineer Regiment.

The reason for my nickname is I was Born in Berlin and my name is Brian

Was not in the army ,worked for them ,first in Hildesheim for the SSO in 1982 then,transferred in 1983 to the MSO (Mixed Service organization) as a dog handler posted to Hameln and have been here ever since,left in 1985 and worked for a German company for 13 years and started working again for the army in 1997 as a armed guard in Herford HQ 1 Arm.Div. Left in 2001 biggest mistake I ever made .now work as a school caretaker .

My hobby anything to do with the British army of the Rhine post war up until 1990 and anything British Berlin brigade.

Well that's it for now..

http://bfg-locations.editboard.com/general-f148/i-like-to-show-you-all-my-room-t709.htm

Here is a link, showing my things i have in my room

Brian

Hi Brian and welcome,

Ratfanger stadt eh, me i was born at Rintlen (minden) and travelled to Berlin twice once whilst at Hamm School from 1969/1973 (remembering visiting the MSO where the repaired/refurbished Antars) and again in 1993 to attend a wedding of an old school mate.

I have got some piccys some where of my father at Bridge Camp building Bailey bridges.

cheers for now

Ashley

Edited by ashley
dates

Nice display Brian. I have VERY fond memories of Herford. My Father was Regimental Armourer SGT with 7 Sigs, just up the road. The four blocks of flats you can see across the sports pitches from your HQ Blocks. We lived the top floor, second block across from the right. Lovely views of the school, sports field, & of course the Main Office blocks (Former WWII Whermacht barracks) I loved our time in Herford. Sunday after lunch walks upto the Tower on top of the hill overlooking the area. The Tierpark next to 7 Sigs camp. And seeing austin K9 Radio trucks parked around the sports pitches doing signals exercises. 432's & Humber Pigs screaming along on excersise callouts! Ferrets from the Household Cav driving around in a Troop & parking up for a fag break outside the school swiimimg pool. (It was housed ina building near your HQ blocks) Yes, Happy days indeed............:cheesy:

Hi Brian,

Herzliche willkommen zu dem Verrückten :wave:

Nice collection you have on the BAOR, I have some questions about them

However I don't know if they are stupid enough :-D

Before some one makes remarks about google translate and stuff like that, I don't need it

I only use an site to do an check on grammatics :readbook:

MichelK

Cool. Welcome to the forum mate.

I notice you have a 10 Transport Regiment, Royal Corps of Transport plate. This is one of my old Regiments, I was with 1 Sqn when they were in Colchester just after they moved back to the UK. I loved my time with 1 Sqn. Nice to see a 10 Regt item on your desk.:-D

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Brian and welcome,

Ratfanger stadt eh, me i was born at Rintlen (minden) and travelled to Berlin twice once whilst at Hamm School from 1969/1973 (remembering visiting the MSO where the repaired/refurbished Antars) and again in 1993 to attend a wedding of an old school mate.

I have got some piccys some where of my father at Bridge Camp building Bailey bridges.

cheers for now

Ashley

Hi, interested to see that you were at Hamm school. I was stationed there from 1956 / 1958. It was then 5 Armoured Workshops. REME....... we had to vacate the place in autumn 1958 and relocate to the old MSO camp in the middle of Hamm. I was billeted in the second block on the left, you went through the main gate, first left, second block (middle one) after the pool (Fire hydrant). I hope that you enjoyed your time there, I had a fantastic time. I still meet with my buddies each year for our reunion (51 years now) We returned as a group in 1990 to view the camp, by then closed, but still guarded by REME.:cool2:

Hi, interested to see that you were at Hamm school. I was stationed there from 1956 / 1958. It was then 5 Armoured Workshops. REME....... we had to vacate the place in autumn 1958 and relocate to the old MSO camp in the middle of Hamm. I was billeted in the second block on the left, you went through the main gate, first left, second block (middle one) after the pool (Fire hydrant). I hope that you enjoyed your time there, I had a fantastic time. I still meet with my buddies each year for our reunion (51 years now) We returned as a group in 1990 to view the camp, by then closed, but still guarded by REME.:cool2:

The camp was handed back to the German government in 1990 / 91 ?............ it was then structurally altered to accommodate East germans, following the re-unification of Germany. These works wer actually just starting when we visited, so the camp was still in its original state, as we remembered it during our service there. It was a very emotional time for us, to stand in the rooms that we had occupied for so long during the 1950s. We slept 6 to a room when we were there, fabulous barracks, very well built by the Germans, vastly superior to anything that we had been in, in the UK at that time.

The block i was in was the third one along fronm the main gate which was bombed during the was and was haunted by the ghost Peg leg, but thats another story.

Shame the place is pratically demolished to allow the building of a new fire station, ad also a BMW and Mini garage:mad:

The girls school is still stading as is the MSO camp but what was the disposal camp between WBS and WGS

is long gone.

If you get on to the BAOR site you can copy across all the known British bases o to Google earth 90% of which are now closed down

Ashley

Edited by ashley
other info

Hi, the third block contained the showers, thats where we had to go, I remember, we used to run the guantlet during the winter months from block 3 back to block 2 (freezing cold) The old disposal unit was situated immediately behing the tank workshops at the rear of the camp. If you drove through the main gate and continued in a straight line as far as you could go you would stop at the tank wash-down, behind which was the then boundary fence. As you travelled down that same road, you passed the turning on your left, then the red gras hockey pitch on your left, then the B class workshops on your left. At the end of the B class workshops it became a T junction, with the T washdown opposite, you turned left and the A class (Tank) workshops were on your right..... forming the boundary between us and the Disposals Depot. When we returned in 1990, all of the area beyond B class workshops had gone, and now this was the extent of the camp boundary. Obviously no need for that area once the place became a school.

Regards Ray....... still miss my time in Hamm.:cool2:

Hi Ashley, the Disposals Unit dealt with all unserviceable materials, for I presume, disposal onto the German market. It was certainly a very busy place when I was there. Canadian troops used the facility along with us, the stuff came in from all over W. Germany............ We even had a group of Yanky troops one day, they obviously could not find the place and drove their bus into our camp (Full sized bus) One of the U.S. troops got off the bus and approached our group, who were on parade, and unusually our C.O. was imparting some information to us..... cant remember the content. The U.S. soldier just walked up to our group and asked the C.O. for directions. The C.O. gave the directions, and then in typical british fashion, took one step back, coming to attention, he then saluted the yank, and said, I just think that someone should salute someone. The yank just turned on his heels and left without saluting....... leaving our C.O. looking rather disgusted.

Regards Ray.

Hi Ashley, the Disposals Unit dealt with all unserviceable materials, for I presume, disposal onto the German market. It was certainly a very busy place when I was there. Canadian troops used the facility along with us, the stuff came in from all over W. Germany............ We even had a group of Yanky troops one day, they obviously could not find the place and drove their bus into our camp (Full sized bus) One of the U.S. troops got off the bus and approached our group, who were on parade, and unusually our C.O. was imparting some information to us..... cant remember the content. The U.S. soldier just walked up to our group and asked the C.O. for directions. The C.O. gave the directions, and then in typical british fashion, took one step back, coming to attention, he then saluted the yank, and said, I just think that someone should salute someone. The yank just turned on his heels and left without saluting....... leaving our C.O. looking rather disgusted.

Regards Ray.

I can tell you during one term we were over there every weekend.................helmets, clocks,machetes, bayonetts,pliers, hammers, all assortment of tools, BD`s ammo boots webbing by the skip load,and the occasional vehicle the wierdest i saw and never appreciated what they were bedfords with the bodys raised up on stiltsbut it was dangerous as one time i collected packs of biscuit which i traded with our cadet force as survival biscuits...... shame they were condemmed dog biscuits (with out outer wrappers) sick bay was very busy for the next few days and i ended up with the cane :cry:

ashley

Edited by ashley

It`s nice to know that you have walked in my footsteps...... and seen what I have seen, I am an old man now (73) I am still reasonably fit and drive or ride my military stuff, GMC, Jeep, Harley Davidson, Etc. They can never take away my memories............ I just wish that I could do it all again, with the same guy`s.

Regards. Ray.:dancing: