Caterpillar D4

Hi

Had a search on here, as I seem to remember the topic came up before, but couldn't find anything, as I am looking for info on the Caterpillar D4. The RE Museum at Chatham has one so I am assuming that the British Army used them in wartime too - is that correct? Is there a resource anywhere where I can find out more info, and is there a record of which serial numbers went into military service, in the Allied Forces?

Also, is the main difference between the D4 and the D2 just engine size?

Finally, did the Clark CA-1 ever enter British service?

Thanks

I have one too!

2T serial numbers were all military as were some of the preceding model with a 7J serial like mine. The British Army used loads, they were the standard size IV dozer. Famously used to bury victims at Belsen.....

D2 is a smaller tractor with little commonality.

Not sure about the Clarkair.

I have one too!

2T serial numbers were all military as were some of the preceding model with a 7J serial like mine. The British Army used loads, they were the standard size IV dozer. Famously used to bury victims at Belsen.....

D2 is a smaller tractor with little commonality.

Not sure about the Clarkair.

D2 and D4 both widely used by RAF Airfield Construction Branch.

• 8 months later...

Hey sorry to bring up an old thread.

Would anyone be able to tell me the weight of a d4, without the dozer blade.

Also i take it the military, used them without the dozer blade, but would these be armoured? Ifso what would these ones have been used for?

many thanks

Kyle

Hi, a plain D4 2T goes about 4 1/2 tons, I have the exact weight but not in front of me.

The military did use them without blades, though generally only the wide gauge and as far as I know the D4 was never armoured.

The only armoured Cats used at the time were the D7 with the inner blade gear and they were 1T serials. The armoured D8s were not really armoured but were wadeproofed as beach recovery vehicles.

• 2 months later...

regards Caterpillar D2 in military service.

I have a book "Diesel Taff" by Austin Hughes; a WWII plant operator who mentions his surprise to find he had to commission and operate a D2 in the middle east on a bridge construction job.

This is a good book if you like military stories about plant and low loader driving not front line action!

I have a D2 which has some parts on it which have some green on; but not parts which would interchange with a D4.

I have driven a D2 with a blade and they are only any good for the lightest of trail breaking jobs in the woods! A D4 of similar age is only a ton or so heavier and not that much more powerful but much more useful.

I hope this is interesting, thanks for reading.

• 1 month later...

I have a D2 which is finally on it's way into the restoration shed. It is covered in OD, and appears to have always been OD (but that is not so say that it has not been through a comprehensive strip and rebuild during it's life)...

Does anyone have any images of the data plate (which mine is missing) and a clue as to where it would have been fitted? I bought this thing primarily because it was cheap and looks useful for shunting stuff around - if it turns out to be military that would be a bonus.

Adrian, do you have any info on the serial numbers assigned to military D2s in the same way that "2T serial numbers were all military as were some of the preceding model with a 7J serial like mine. " refers to D4s?

Regards

Ken

I've never seen anything that shows D2 was even used much by the military, it was a bit small really. I suppose some were procurred on an ad-hoc basis and a small order could have been placed at some point.

Serials I have are:- 1938 - 1943 3J 1 - 3J 7000

1938 - 1947 5J 1 - 5J 10600

The 3J is narrow gauge (40") and the 5J is wide (50").

The Cat plate is a small, aluminium plate about 2" x 1 1/2" with just the serial number stamped into it. There is one on the left hand rear lower block and another on the rear face of the transmission.

Hi

Had a search on here, as I seem to remember the topic came up before, but couldn't find anything, as I am looking for info on the Caterpillar D4. The RE Museum at Chatham has one so

No idea on D4 serial numbers etc, but I am proud to say I did the restoration work on the one in the museum way back in the late eighties. I put that green tape on the electrics.

Best of luck with your search

• 1 month later...
No idea on D4 serial numbers etc, but I am proud to say I did the restoration work on the one in the museum way back in the late eighties.

hi Rob,

Was that the same D4 that was on a plinth at Wainscott..........around about 1980-81 ? If so, then I had to refit the steering clutches in it, so the CO could drive it up on the plinth as his farewell. I was at Plant, Roads & Airfields Wing on a plant repair course, and the particular machine being taught at the time, I was more than familiar with, so was found something else to do !

hi Rob,

Was that the same D4 that was on a plinth at Wainscott..........around about 1980-81 ? If so, then I had to refit the steering clutches in it, so the CO could drive it up on the plinth as his farewell. I was at Plant, Roads & Airfields Wing on a plant repair course, and the particular machine being taught at the time, I was more than familiar with, so was found something else to do !

NOT THE WAINSCOTT ONE AS THAT IS STILL ON ITS PLINTH, thier is another one on a plinth in Gillingham business park, part of an old barracks site.

Regards

Tim

In Military Engineering Volume V dated 1944 (Reprint)1954page6 it shows Caterpillar D2 also picture of the crawler with a La Plant Choate angledozer and a Hyster winch, so it would appear that this little dozer was indeed used by the Military Engineers. I wish I could post pictures out of this booklet, but yet scans were refused, this does not happen on any other formums, B*** shame. John.

I also have TM5-3086 Tractors,crawler Diesel 70 - 90 DBHP Caterpillar D7 Maintenance Instruction and parts catalog.

Hey sorry to bring up an old thread.

Would anyone be able to tell me the weight of a d4, without the dozer blade.

Also i take it the military, used them without the dozer blade, but would these be armoured? Ifso what would these ones have been used for?

many thanks

Kyle

Dozer with no attachments 4.6 tons. John.

I wish I could post pictures out of this booklet, but yet scans were refused, this does not happen on any other formums, B*** shame. John.

I think that only applies to pictures that are someone elses copyright. A 1954 government textbook is fair game I say!

I would like to see the picture, I have the 1962 issue and D4 is the smallest tractor shown.

I think that only applies to pictures that are someone elses copyright. A 1954 government textbook is fair game I say!

I would like to see the picture, I have the 1962 issue and D4 is the smallest tractor shown.

Adrian, I ment that I scanned the relevant pages but the picture gathering format on this site will not accept anything I try to post,the other three forums that I frequent all accept my pictures, it is just this site that I cannot [post pictures, John.