Caterpillar D4

Adrian, I ment that I scanned the relevant pages but the picture gathering format on this site will not accept anything I try to post,the other three forums that I frequent all accept my pictures, it is just this site that I cannot [post pictures, John.

Gotcha. You could e mail them to me and I'll post them if you like. PM sent.

This is the page John was talking about. It lists the D2 as a class V tractor, my listings go from I to IV with the latter being 'up to 35 dbhp'. This would include D2 in theory but I suspect class V was found to be too light for most jobs and were phased out.

I have never seen a wartime picture of a British Army D2, does anybody have one?

CatD2003.jpg

• 1 month later...

I still haven't had chance to see if I can track down the owner of the OD D4 but from memory it is fitted with the La Plante hydraulic blade,yet most WWII photos I have seen of D4's show the cable operated blade,Does anyone know if there is any specific data on why the two types of blade were used? or maybe the machine I know was originally a tractor and the blade was fitted post war?.

Matt.

Hi thier,

Pic of a D4 on display at the plant school, little bit careworn but the guys nowadays are paid to operate and learn not paint old plant.No doubt it will be sorted sooner or latter. Could not read any data off the construction plate as its got years of paint on. Needs a chemical clean to avoid damaging the stamping. The winch fitted is marked is marked Hyster D4E, i am assuming this particular machine is a post war sample.

Another example is on a plinth in Gillinham Business Park, the site of an old RE barracks, will get pics next time i pass.

plant 001 (600 x 450).jpg

plant 002 (600 x 450).jpg

Edited by tim gray

This tractor looks to me to be a D4C 24A, they have a side mounted donkey start motor hand pulled or a direct electric 24volt start system , they can suffer with cylinder block damage at the point the equalizer beam mounts to the under side of the engine, Birtly blade fitted.

Fairbairn Sykes

Pic of a D4 on display at the plant school, little bit careworn but the guys nowadays are paid to operate and learn not paint old plant.

Hi Tim,

That is the D4 I had to fit the steering clutches in, prior to its siting on the plinth. Think it was to mark the leaving of an O/c. I was on a course at Mech Training, Plant Roads and Airfields. The particular "C" vehicle we were on at the time was one I was well conversant with, probably a Muir Hill, so was instructed to rebuild the D4 which someone had pulled apart previously. Have not seen it since that time............which was 31 years ago !

Hi Tim,That is the D4 I had to fit the steering clutches in, prior to its siting on the plinth. Think it was to mark the leaving of an O/c. I was on a course at Mech Training, Plant Roads and Airfields. The particular "C" vehicle we were on at the time was one I was well conversant with, probably a Muir Hill, so was instructed to rebuild the D4 which someone had pulled apart previously. Have not seen it since that time............which was 31 years ago !
Hi Richard.......small small world! Its quite possible we were lurking in the vacinity at the same period of time, the Molly was one of the first things we were trained on, along with the Drott , D6C/D, Terex 72/51, allis chalmers (on its way out) Barford graders. Must admit the 4 was on its plinth already but looked almost brand new so it cant have been thier that long. Head of training was the dreaded Tom Wye. ( complete with that bloody annoying little terrier of his) Last thing you wanted was a walk up the hill with a pink slip in yer hand ( deep cack time)Do you remember the riendeer on the earth berm at the back of the field? Had to kiss its a**e a few time for mucking up!!As an aside, Chattenden Bks where we all stayed is no longer with us, just a perimeter fence and some concrete footprints of the buildings, too many years of sliding down the hill towards Wainscott, just fell apart in the end. Probably end up as a housing estate.........which will also try to slide down to Wainscott so dont buy when they do build!!!!!!!Regards Tim Gray