How far gone is KingTiger 104?

ajmac

I just spotted a tank museum video showing the relocation of their Henschel KingTiger (do they own it or is it on loan... wasn't it on a training base before?).

I know the subject has been discussed before and I think people said it had no engine or gearbox... if we are honest that isn't really a show stopper. I'm sure there is a monument in Europe which could donate the trans and gearbox, as for the engine, they are never impossible. It isn't quite as 'historic' as 131 so they needn't do a full detailed restoration.... jut make it move under it's own power. If the museum is being run more along the lines of a business now, I think a running KingTiger has a business case.

Saumur managed to get there Tiger 2 going so its not beyond possiblities

I have to say I'm more impressed by a King Tiger that a Tiger 1 and I don't see why people should regard 131 as more "historic", but again it could be a huge drain of resources to get it going whatever its interior/power train condition considering the requirement for the cooling system rebuild of the Tiger 1 costing £56k. The other two tiger 2 derivatives could supply components, but then others would demand that these should be made mobile and in the end should a museum in Great Britain be pandering to the panzer legion.

Edited by steveo578

The King Tiger is a fantastic piece of engineering and an important piece of history. Worth every penny, in my opin and if we can cancel debts to third world countries then we can definately afford to restore a worthy link in the genesis of armoured fighting vehicles. If I had the cash, I wold have one myself...

berna2vm

, in my opin and if we can cancel debts to third world countries then we can definately afford to restore a worthy link in the genesis of armoured fighting vehicles. If I had the cash, I wold have one myself...

AFAIK the tank museum does not recieve tax payers money (except as a tax rebate) therefore the point about Third World Debt is basically irrelevant (personally I don't believe in cancelling Third World Debt either).

So if private individuals wish to contribute to a fund for the restoration of either Tiger it is their perogative, I have to say that I think they should contribute a similar amount to restoration of British tanks at the museum and subscribe to any nominated service charity as without the British -Commonwealth and Allied servicemen who fronted up to these "worthy links" we would not be able to even discus this.

Steve

Edited by steveo578

The vehicle came from Shrivenham near Swindon.

As far as I am aware the vehicle has always belonged to Bovington but it has been on loan for many years.

As others have said the vehicle is gutted internally and there are lots of other potential candidates for restoring.

With some of these vehicles there may be a case if feasible to fit modern engines and transmissions providing this does not preclude conversion back at a later date. Attracting members of the public through the doors to fund future developments is vital to the future of such museums.

Edited by REME 245

AFAIK the tank museum does not recieve tax payers money (except as a tax rebate) therefore the point about Third World Debt is basically irrelevant (personally I don't believe in cancelling Third World Debt either).

So if private individuals wish to contribute to a fund for the restoration of either Tiger it is their perogative, I have to say that I think they should contribute a similar amount to restoration of British tanks at the museum and subscribe to any nominated service charity as without the British -Commonwealth and Allied servicemen who fronted up to these "worthy links" we would not be able to even discus this.

Steve

As one of the joys of 'Donating' forty Millinon quid a day for being in the e.u.

Wouldnt it be nicer (& money better spent!) to make at least one of these payment sums to Bovvy.

After all, it's a Museum for the education & preservation of a valuable asset for the NATION! :undecided:

agripper

Compleatly agree . I would love to see the mk1 cent they have trundling around. That has to be a more import tank than the tiger. What about the KV1 does that run?

Assuming it is still in it I suspect the transmission would be knackered by testing, It looks a bit high so perhaps it was removed for display. Other than transmission problems the motor is similar to a T34 and therefore is relatively robust.

Steve

ferretfixer

Steve

As one of the joys of 'Donating' forty Millinon quid a
day
for being in the e.u.

Wouldnt it be nicer (& money better spent!) to make at
least
one of these payment sums to Bovvy.

After all, it's a Museum for the education & preservation of a valuable asset for the NATION! :undecided:

Absolutely agree, but I don't believe in the EU either, Neither the EU nor HM governments of either colour would agree to rebate one penny from their grubby little paws :-D

Steve

The vehicle came from Shrivenham near Swindon.

Going back a few years now they were going to have an open day at Shrivenham to raise funds for the restoration of this tank (bearing in mind the the area was not normally open to the public) but on arrival myself and quite a few others were refused entry to the camp due to an alert " condition red" the fee of £3:00 had to be paid in advance but of course when i wrote to the organisers of this event they could not return the monies but would of course notify all persons when they would hold the event in the future...nothing heard of course :mad:

Ashley

• 7 months later...
I know the subject has been discussed before and I think people said it had no engine or gearbox... if we are honest that isn't really a show stopper.

I think for Bovvy for the foreseeable future, the engine will be a show stopper. Last time I looked they were having enough trouble sourcing one working Maybach 230 for the Tiger 1 (blown before this year's season, hence the static display at Tankfest), without then having to source another for the Tiger 2.

IMO of course.

I'd give Bovvy money myself ... oh hang on, I already do, every month, hence my listing under Light Dragoons (15/19H and 13/18H) on the wall on the way in.

;o)

Not sure if this helps guys but Dave Willys from Bovington sent me this sometime back.....

Hi Jack,

Im just wondering if you or if you know of anyone that has or can lead me to design plans for the king tiger. I am in the process as collecting as much material as possible on the king tiger, inside and outside drawings, plans, images as the film i am about to work on is all based around the king tigers in the russian front.

We are looking at building full interior of a king tiger and a tiger 1

along with several replica tanks.

As alot of the film is based inside the king tiger and with alot of action battle shots im wanting to get the tanks as authentic as possible. Ind doing this im looking for as much info on the king tiger.

We are also looking at traveling to france to see the restored king tiger and get as much from that museum as we can.

If you can pass this information to the right people that would be awesome.

I also was seeing that someone was going to build a replica tiger tank not sure where i saw this.

Thanks Again

David

I believe it's lacking engine & transmission, items alledgedly junked only a short while before it was passed over to Bov!

If you mean when it was passed to the care of the TM originally, that may be true.

I visited the Shrivenham collection back in the 90s the KT was at Shrivenham painted in deep bronze green with a silver interior, just like a Centurion of the 50s. The interior was in reasonable condition, forward of the engine bulkhead, aft of that there was an empty engine bay containing a few concrete to balance the tank. It was at least stored indoors.

It was labelled "Royal Tiger" at Shrivenham and kept there (remember a educational establishement) as an example of "how not to do it".

jch

jchinuk

......forward of the engine bulkhead, aft of that there was an empty engine bay containing a few concrete to balance the tank.

At one time there were various motors from AFVs to act as educational exhibits at the then School of Tank Technology and Bovington Museum and at various "trade" schools. for example the transmission and motor of an early M3 Grant is/was displayed at Bovington and of course there is still an armament display which if I remember correctly included WW2 German AFV guns.

As to what happened to these motors particularly those at Shrivenham -who knows- concern over outdated exhibits was fairly lax at Shrivenham at one time and stuff disappeared -one example was the Kugelblitz turret c/w stand was exchanged/gifted back to Germany and if the Tiger 1 in the Bovington collection is a tank-chav magnet then surely the Kugelblitz turret and for that matter the Jagdpanzer 4 L/70 would have been too, -but then the public were not allowed to be au fait with the acquisitions policy and regulations of either Shrivenham or Bovington.

Often the Shivenham staff were seriously out of touch -during a visit by Bovington Friends many years ago -a minor spat occured as to whether members should be allowed access to a T62, the staff member was actually surprised to be told that T62s were so common place that numbers were even then in private hands.

Steve

if the Tiger 1 in the Bovington collection is a tank-chav magnet then surely the Kugelblitz turret and for that matter the Jagdpanzer 4 L/70 would have been too,

Steve

I like the concept of 'tank-chavs; :shocked:

I understand the Jagdpanzer IV L/70 ended up in the US, via Beltring...

jch