American Truck dealer

LoggyDriver

the big wheels do really make them look good dont they. however the cost of importing one all the way from the states would be a night mare. you could by one from here or europe and make it look just as nice as any of them. heres our old m54 after a paint.

How much extra top end speed do you get with the big tyres? I take it they can only be fitted to the 5 tonners? Very nice looking truck. I think I saw it a Beltring a few years ago now as I remember a 5 ton with the new type plastic tilt on the back.

If I had the cash I'd like an M944A1, anyone seen one for sale in Europe before?

http://www.primeportal.net/ce/don/m944_int_walk_1.htm

Seen them go through the US Surplus sales quite cheap, but it's a big lump to ship home!

http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?id=2980804&convertTo=USD

Chris

Back of that truck is almost as well equipped as my home workshop :-D

That lathe badly needs some oil on the ways and screws though.:shocked:

nice looking truck.The big singles do make the trucks look good but also mess up the gearing making a already not over powered truck more sluggish and certainly they dont need any more speed for a truck with brakes designed in the 50,s and single line drum brakes at that.

Crikey I thought the M54 and M35 series trucks had been updated with dual line air brakes!

It's a long time since I looked at the manuals for them though.

• 2 weeks later...

No,as the owner of a LWB M54 (M55),I can confirm it a single line air/hydraulic system,the pedal down to a hyrdrovac is fluid,the rest is air,which is fine when it work’s!After WWII the US Army tested all types & this was the winner!!Something to do with dry brakes when fording & not having to wait for air to build-up under fire,is my best guess.