Stoneleigh Militaria 2010

forgot to take my camera with me but there are pictures of the bunkers restored by the channel islands occupation society on their website and also on the axis military history forum.The one I was working in is the type 634 heavy machine gun bunker at Corbiere

Nigel

HI,is it the one next to the M19 mortar bunker which is connected to the machine gun bunker? I am a frequent visitor to Jersey and know quite a few people there...Sparky.

yes that is the one I was working down there with Malcolm Amy ,Kevin and Geoff Zimmer and got a reasonable chunk of the wiring completed although not as much as I hoped,who do you know over there?

Nigel

I have been going over there since about 1976.I was a member of the occupation society for many years.I also know some of the vehicle owners.Graham Sty,Dave Maindonald,Tony Chalker,Michael Ginns,Dave Acon,Ian Cabbo and quite a few more.My cousin lives in Jersey ,so we visit every year.I also know Russ and Debs Doherty in Guernsey.

I went first time I,ve gone.Not sure if I will make a 250mile round trip again though.I met up with the Champ owners which was a highlight.As someone said so many people wandering aimlessly struggled to look at stalls.How many machine guns was there for sale??. I,ve never seen so many.I was smiling when I saw the price of a SMLE I got offered one the other week converted to .410 cartridge for £55.At least I could use that one.I thought some stalls were silly prices ,one wanted £20 for a new beret ,whilst another one had the same make for £8.It definately paid to check everything twice.

I have been going over there since about 1976.I was a member of the occupation society for many years.I also know some of the vehicle owners.Graham Sty,Dave Maindonald,Tony Chalker,Michael Ginns,Dave Acon,Ian Cabbo and quite a few more.My cousin lives in Jersey ,so we visit every year.I also know Russ and Debs Doherty in Guernsey.

I have met Graham once and know Ian Cabot and Micheal Ginns as well as several others from the cios and have a couple of other friends on the rock,we had dinner with FC101 Daz off of the forum on saturday night,do you ever go over for the liberation celebrations ?

I had a visit from some thieving scroot who nicked an air soft bb Thompson from the stall

also the magazine which was seperate but they missed the charger for the battery

and the loading tube for the magazine so if anyone gets offered or hears of a air soft

bb Thompson for sale minus these bits drop me a line please

Commander

You going over for May 9th? have just booked the dodge and Number One son in. There is a good camp site owned by a guy called David, with OD disease!

I have been to Jersey for the liberation a few years ago.Took my Bedford mw to Guernsey in 2005.Went all the way from home (Halifax) to Guernsey without any problems.We had a really good trip.There is a photo of us in the liberation parade on my profile.Would like to go again.Cant make it this year.

You going over for May 9th? have just booked the dodge and Number One son in. There is a good camp site owned by a guy called David, with OD disease!

whereabouts is this campsite Tony,I have stayed at the three commercial ones on the island and never seen any mvs on them

Nigel

stayed there about 11 years ago ,the first time we took our daughter to the island,I think she was about a year old and we got infested with ants and then flooded out but as you say the pub is only just up the road and the ants must be dead by now

Nigel

The amount of 'junk' knocking about in the early sixteies I'm not suprised. I knew a Jeep half buried in a pile of earth at the top of Mont Fallu, where Broadlands is. There was also an unidentified German truck at the Garage just down for Red Houses. Syvret's Garage and Cleveland motors had 1 ton humbers as breack down trucks. There was a blue Jeep sitting for years outside a barn in St John's. Champs were used to push the mobile jetty out into the water at St Brelades bay for water sking. Most farmers had ex military trucks, Austin K3's, twenty five were shipped over in 1947 and used till the late sixties. Bedford MW and OY's all painted a light grey carrying potatoe barrels. A Green Goddess used at the Strawberry Farm as an irigation pump.The Jersy Drag Hunt and racing club had a SWB Land Rover series 2 painted in Benson & Hedges Livery as a tow truck, used to drive that. It also makes an apperance, without livery, in the film 'Neither the Sea nor the Sand. The Airport Fire Servcie had a Unimog at one stage then six, six wheel Range Rovers. The old Bedford M ambulance is over here now, still in Livery. Those are the ones I remember.

The amount of 'junk' knocking about in the early sixteies I'm not suprised. I knew a Jeep half buried in a pile of earth at the top of Mont Fallu, where Broadlands is. There was also an unidentified German truck at the Garage just down for Red Houses. Syvret's Garage and Cleveland motors had 1 ton humbers as breack down trucks. There was a blue Jeep sitting for years outside a barn in St John's. Champs were used to push the mobile jetty out into the water at St Brelades bay for water sking. Most farmers had ex military trucks, Austin K3's, twenty five were shipped over in 1947 and used till the late sixties. Bedford MW and OY's all painted a light grey carrying potatoe barrels. A Green Goddess used at the Strawberry Farm as an irigation pump.The Jersy Drag Hunt and racing club had a SWB Land Rover series 2 painted in Benson & Hedges Livery as a tow truck, used to drive that. It also makes an apperance, without livery, in the film 'Neither the Sea nor the Sand. The Airport Fire Servcie had a Unimog at one stage then six, six wheel Range Rovers. The old Bedford M ambulance is over here now, still in Livery. Those are the ones I remember.

Do they still use DUKWs at StHelier? I remember them from the sixties.