Militantmk3 pics

Some pics of my Milly, it`s the one thats got a turbo. Recently bought from David Crouch.

Never mind the Milly whats with the bear roaming around ?

If it is the same one, the engine conversion originated in Stalybridge, Cheshire. It is the original AEC block with Leyland TL12 heads hence the turbo.

OK.

a. The bear is a newfy called baxter.

b. The pickup in the corner is an M1008 (84KA250), with a burnt out t400, ex, spec ops sqn at Mildenhall, I have the service records. I have had it for 8 or so years and normaly it is reliable, honest. Anybody repaired a GM T400 before? is it possible or shall I hand it to an expert?

c.Yes its got TL12 heads and it drives quite well, except for the smokescreen on start up! any history would be appreciated. I may convert back to original at some time. Still getting to know it and realy want to spend some time on the brakes before opening her up.

Will post more pics of the milly and Chevy if any interest!

Iain

OK.

a. The bear is a newfy called baxter.

b. The pickup in the corner is an M1008 (84KA250), with a burnt out t400, ex, spec ops sqn at Mildenhall, I have the service records. I have had it for 8 or so years and normaly it is reliable, honest. Anybody repaired a GM T400 before? is it possible or shall I hand it to an expert?

c.Yes its got TL12 heads and it drives quite well, except for the smokescreen on start up! any history would be appreciated. I may convert back to original at some time. Still getting to know it and realy want to spend some time on the brakes before opening her up.

Will post more pics of the milly and Chevy if any interest!

Iain

Forget the Chevy what about the bear ?

I am coming to Aberdeen on Monday for work (in Norway at the moment), my best mate was the first person to own your Militant about 15 years ago, I will try to get him to dig out some pictures of it when he had it. He is on this forum (AMGeneral) It was bought from a dealer called Hamptons in Keele Staffordshire who I am friendly with. Then it went to the recovery operator in Stalybridge who did the head conversion, he also altered the lifting jib slightly to incorporate chains hanging down for suspend tow from either side of the extending inner boom.

John.

Hi John

How long will you be in Aberdeen?

It`s good to get some backround on the Milly. I have been looking at removing the master links on the boom, I think I just need to pull the sheave shaft for them to drop out.

I had been talking to a previous owner over a year ago when they were advertising AEC spares and just did`nt chase it up.

The turbo conversion was not completed, the engine side panel needs making and a passenger seat fabricating. I have started by putting the batteries back in the cab, but need the framework to properly mount them.

Just bits and bobs to do, I hope to get around with it/her/him this year.

Some "as found" pics of the cab!

Regards

Iain

DSC00012.JPG

DSC00022.JPG

It was in his collection, but he already has one and needed more room.

The bear is one of a pair, local legend has it that they only like big green trucks.

"Some say, that many jeeps and drivers have gone missing in the area the last few years, all I know is , they dont go hungry!"

Some more pics

DSC00015.JPG

DSC00002.JPG

Hi Ian, had a good look around your truck when it was still at Dave's yard, looked really good with lots of potential. One thing I did notice was the cab is an unusal shape under the windscreen on the outer edge sort of dished in and not flat. If you are ever down in the Midlands or you have someone comming up to yours, I have a spare battery carrier available.

Hi Ian, had a good look around your truck when it was still at Dave's yard, looked really good with lots of potential. One thing I did notice was the cab is an unusal shape under the windscreen on the outer edge sort of dished in and not flat. If you are ever down in the Midlands or you have someone comming up to yours, I have a spare battery carrier available.

Hi "Grumpy"

Many thanks, I am after few bits and bobs , as you can see in the pics the rear shelf is bare!

Also no heater or screen washer, I have found a heater that will fit but there are no witness marks in the area in front of the passenger. There are holes on top of the engine cover in front of the Hyd PTO lever that look as if it could have been mounted here?

Will have a look around in the morning for the unusual shape!

I am after any pics of a standard cab and of the bracket that fits on pins to hold the o/s planks in place, I have the plate for the artillery planks.

Does your spare battery carrier include the frame that goes into the space behind the passenger seat?

Sure I will have many more questions and requests etc.

Cheers

Iain

Some pics of my Milly, it`s the one thats got a turbo. Recently bought from David Crouch.

Hi,Used to be mine,1990 - 2004,I looked round for 12 months or more to find a clean one,it was the cleanest around when I had it,it had just had an overhaul,new brakes and drums,front springs and shocks,tyres and more,if you need more info please let me know.

Regards Ian.

Hi,Used to be mine,1990 - 2004,I looked round for 12 months or more to find a clean one,it was the cleanest around when I had it,it had just had an overhaul,new brakes and drums,front springs and shocks,tyres and more,if you need more info please let me know.

Regards Ian.

Thanks Ian

Any info would be appreciated. When I was looking over at her Davids I spent some time on my back underneath it (Is that sad or what, I was happy just lying there looking up at her undersides). It looked really clean and there was signs of maintenance ie grease and oil in all the right places and it looked like the front brakes at least where at the minimum adjustment. Only a couple of spots of surface rust and no signs of patching.

so far i`m pleased

Iain

Nice looking truck, nearly as big as the bear!!!:shocked:

That wrecker didn't hang about long. Did David use it for his recovery business or has he just sold it on?

Hi Again AMgeneral here,Just thought,the chap who did the turbo on the engine was a plant fitter who ran a vehicle repair business in Stalybridge,he bought the truck off me mid 2004,and keep it for a couple off years.His name was Geoff Moody and he retired a few years ago,I have a phone number for him if he is still there 0161-338 2262,its worth a try ! Will dig a few photos out . I won quite a few shows with it.

Ian.

Nice machine, definately one of my favourites, the Militant mk III . Is it as tidy as it looks in the pictures?

Hi

Yes it is tidy, only the cab is in need of work, its missing the rear shelf racking, heater and screen washer.

Also the turbo needs boxing in and a passenger seat fabricating. I am very pleased so far!

Iain

I thought I would post this pici I found on flicker as I had not seen it before.

I am not sure if the link will work as I could not tiny it.... ignore that, links below

Main page http://tiny.cc/mil01

There is a link to google maps for position just under the photo.

and one of an air view where the old girl can be seen. http://tiny.cc/mil03

Regards rog8811

mili01.jpg

Edited by rog8811

I thought I would post this pici I found on flicker as I had not seen it before.

I am not sure if the link will work as I could not tiny it....

Main page http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://farm1.static.flickr.com/46/140345865_0b9c5f8e08.jpg%3Fv%3D1146757616&imgrefurl=http://flickr.com/photos/29742055%40N00/140345865&usg=__kwfd4vHw1VWE-utvSRgwbsuL2pI=&h=371&w=500&sz=238&hl=en&start=19&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=46_cI5bO_VRVBM:&tbnh=96&tbnw=130&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dheavy%2Brecovery%26ndsp%3D18%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DN%26start%3D18%26um%3D1

There is a link to google maps for position and one of an air view where the old girl can be seen.

Regards rog8811

I spent about 10 months searching for the right truck and seen a couple in similar condition described as "fair condition" or "paint peeling but solid" etc and they still want over £3k for a rotten wreck????

iain