• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The radiator was completely redone.

We have not dismantled all the tranfer box but we have done some work

change oil seal

change a ring bronze

we completely dismantled the hand brake and change the trim

the ward have air brake , in case of problems must rely on the handbrake it must be perfect

radiator

120tq3k.jpg

the ring bronze down was dead , if you have an ward look at it !

33dcc4i.jpg

the hand brake systeme

213lx1t.jpg

i had repaint all after

2vkm1dd.jpg

ferodo

b3oow0.jpg

538hgg.jpg

29kx6og.jpg

Lovely job -

It must be great to have such impressive facilities.

I thought about doing a nut and bolt restoration on my Ward but decided against it due to cost, facilities and too much down time.

Can't wait to see the finished project.

Good luck with it.

Markheliops

Interesting with the rear S cams for the brakes.

I believe bronze bushes are the original fitment and needle rollers is a later conversion.

My needle roller bearings had suffred badly too but I decided to replace with similar and see how they go.

Looks like you've got a good collection of rear diaphragms there. Always handy to have a stock of spares.

Norman;

The Diamond T uses bronze bushings for the S cam barkes. You gotta figure, the cam is only "turning" a half turn and their cannot be that much stress on it that it would need a needle bearing, but I maybe wrong.

John Gott

BTW, great job you guys are doing on the Ward, those are the first "detailed" photos I have seen of a 22R engine.

Beke has now finished his move.

"42chevy" I understand your suposition.

too I am not convinced for bronze bushings. I did not have a roller bearing set instead.

It was easier to mount bronzes bushings

Also you can lubricate the rings at will but not the roller bearings

When the ward is finished I will tell you if it work well.

As John says the cams only turn a fraction. So no real need for roller bearings. In Fact I believe roller bearings don't work too well for small movements. I'm thinking propshaft yoke needle rollers tend to eventually shatter due to small repetitive movements but these are many time what an S cam undergoes.

Lubrication may also be a problem. Still got the grease nipple on the axle ends but it's a convoluted path from the grease point into the centre of the bearing.

I think it would have worked out more expensive for me to obtain new bronze bushes than the needle rollers. I too will see how they go and may change them again in the future.

On some heavy axles with big brakes the bronze bushes can squeeze out - rollers will take more load, but for both of you it is a win situation and both will last a lifetime if lubricated. (unless you plan to work the truck 24/7!!)

I was thinking of using spring-bush grade nylon if I need bushes (cheaper than bronze and take more load). I can't see heat being a problem - or might it....:undecided:

Sorry to break in to this thread. But can someone give me more details on the Beke story??

Remy

I hope someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I believe Mr.Beke senior started the company soon after WW2, buying war surplus American vehicles and spares, refurbishing the vehicles and selling them to the French haulage industry. I imagine this lasted quite a few years untill the French commercial vehicle production resumed, and then I assume French built trucks were bought and sold, cars were certainly broken for spares. The site, being on the outskirts of Paris was required for I think, a tram depot, and had to be cleared. There were a large number of vehicles, mainly French built, with some American WW2 vintage, most of which were cut up for scrap, but the amount of N.O.S. spares had to be seen to be believed, indeed the advert on Milweb said 400 tons unfortunately I think a lot of spares went for scrap, but Jaap Reitveld told me at Stoneleigh that he had aquired the remaining 4 Ton Diamond T, and Autocar spares.

The Brothers Beke, John Claude, and Gerard, Roy Baker, Too Tall Mike, Chris Barton, on the last visit. A lot of the vehicles and parts had gone by the time this visit was made, but it was still very impressive, and I consider myself lucky to have had the chance to go and see it and come back with a small amount of goodies!

Tony.

HPIM0163.jpg