M110 8in SPG

robin craig

Robin

Posted this in MV chatter a few weeks ago and had a few replies so if you search in there you should find it. From what I remember most of the replies were pretty inconclusive about where these vehicles ended up but certainly they are pretty rare on the collectors circuit..

Cheers !

Look at MV Chatter Scrap yard relics #578 however I'm not entirely convinced with the ID more likely to be M109s if they are anything ,M107-110 hulls are much shallower but the photo does nothing to help- difficult circumstances.

My photo of a M107 at the rotunda Wollich in the early 1990s the Sand coloured vehicle on the right is the collections M110A2. I have a photo of it but cannot find it at the moment.

I found a 1999 Armour Rebuilds advert for a gunless M110A2 at £3.950. I am sure others would have been available at about the time.

m107.jpg

m107.jpg

Its a very impresive looking vehicle but the lenght of that barrel is something else. Cant imagine what it would be like to take one out on public roads! I thought one was sold on mil web a few years back without the barrel. Also thought that a complet unit was sold on there 2 but could have been a m107?

My photo of a M107 at the rotunda Wollich in the early 1990s the Sand coloured vehicle on the right is the collections M110A2. I have a photo of it but cannot find it at the moment.

Steve,

The sand painted M110A2 in your photo at Rotunda, Woolwich, was shipped back from the Gulf and selected for the museum. I have mentioned this one before, it had a little surprise under the flooring. It was tidied up and repainted by the Workshops were I worked and is now in the "Field of Fire" display in the Firepower Museum. I would say that your photo was taken before it was repainted, so as you say early Nineties. Alan can probably add more on it.

What happened to all the British M110 self propelled guns? Which country acquired them after UK service? Anyone got a handle on any pictures they could post?

R

I would not be surprised if there were controls on disposing of this equipment as it is of US origin and they still pull the strings on who can have them or how they are disposed of. Take the M113 carriers that NZ took out of service a few years ago.

I would not be surprised if there were controls on disposing of this equipment as it is of US origin and they still pull the strings on who can have them or how they are disposed of. Take the M113 carriers that NZ took out of service a few years ago.

That was a shambles. We can't even buy obselete radio sets from the army any more. This is because they are american made. It's really pathetic.

thanks Richard!

The M110 is confrimed in the Fiekd of Fire exhibit at firepower along with 2pdr A/T, 3.7"screw gun, M7 Priest 3.7"HAA, L118 105mm light gun, Auster and Honest John.

The M107 is currently in the Cold war gallery along with the SP70 in the background but not open to public view at present.

The chassis at the yard shown earleir do look like those for 107/110/578 from wheel sites and the turrets to the rightseem to be 109.

Alan

Could be wrong but I think the complete unit was actually a mock up gun. According to what has been said elsewhere the U.S. gov, won't allow complete units de-miled or otherwise to be released except in exceptional circumstances like approved museums.

I think that these restrictions only apply to equipment supplied under MDAP, and as in our case "Lend Lease". Unless contracturally specified, the equipment can be disposed of as the governmet sees fit. I know that the German M110s , which were upgraded with longer barrels (M110A2) were given up as part of the multi-lateral nuclear disarmament agreements (they are, after all, nuclear capable) and were given to foreign armies or scrapped. This was completed by 1993.

Possibly the British M110A2 went under Stategic arms limitation or CFE. Sales as opposed to MADP are often covered by End User Certifictates which is this case will still be covered by UK 30year secrecy regs. I know of no M110A2 that have been released with a de-mil. gun, I think at least 3 hulls have been offered for sale in UK. MADP stuff is often- but not always, cut up in accordance with specific DoD requirements before release of the remains to a civilian user.

Eventually found the Rotunda M110A2 mentioned previously.

Steve

M110A2.jpg

M110A2.jpg

Ludgershall early 1990's. You were not supposed to take photos............

Bob

You didn't the camera did it you just pressed the button !!

Don't suppose you have any from when we visited Brecon Beacons, we looked at some 107's that were targets on the range.

John