WW1 Airfield

Another very important First World War Airfield in the UK is Yatesbury in Wiltshire which still has its original hangers standing.

Unfortunately plans to redevelop the site preserving its history have hit problems due to the recession (see attached link).

http://www.gazetteandherald.co.uk/news/towns/calneheadlines/4710491.Airfield_work_in_Yatesbury_halts_in_crisis/

Are the buildings shown on this thread of WW1 vintage or of later WW2 construction?

The airfield will be open to the public in the spring i think. It was a grass airstrip in WW1 and it still is grass.

guessed it was a grass strip ,I imagine most if not all at that time were,It would be great to see a few se5s or camels flying off to meet the Hun

All sounds very interesting and I for one, being a keen RFC historian will be visiting.

We have a WW1 Aerodrome in the cotswolds, called Rendcombe, that was restored back in the early 1990's and is home to the Cadburys Crunchy 'wing walkers' They did hold one or two airshows there back in the 90's but not heard of anything since.

Jules

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Are the buildings/hangers at what I believe to be the first aerodrome used by the RFC at Larkhill in Wiltshire in a position to be reinstated to their original state?

The hangars are still in use but as store rooms and I think that is all that survives on the site. I imagine they could be reinstated to their original state and the trees to the north could be cleared giving a much better idea of it's original appearance, the runway is still clear of trees and clearly visible.