Petrol Price

woa2

Saturday 12th December 2009.

Just been shopping to Asda in Reading and noticed that Petrol is now 103.9 a litre. Is this the start of a price war? Previous cheapest price locally was 106.9

Edited by woa2
Added date - got to have dates at Christmas

What a load of old tosh. The bulk price is cheaper now than it was before the last massive rises where fuel was in the 90 odd pence per litre. They claim it takes a few months to drop the price when it comes down, but when it rises sharply on the wholesale market the prices rise daily.

It should be below 1.00ppl but we will never see that again, and all the while the Government is robbing us blind with the so called "save the plannet from carbon emissions" green tax on fuel, using this excuse just to tax us off the road.

The price here for diesel is 1.11.9 ppl. They must think people are rich here because it's always about 3 pence dearer here than anywhere else.

Worth remembering too that when VAT was cut from 17.5% to 15% fuel duty was hiked up to cover the difference so that motorists never saw any real benefit. Now VAT is going back up to 17.5% the fuel duty is NOT being cut to it's original level. Yet another "stealth tax" on motorists I fear (hope that's not too political??).

Around here petrol was £1.06/litre and Derv around the £1.08/litre mark as of yesterday.

I drove past it again this morning, it's very much current! That's a Shell one.

I still remember it at 83 just a couple of years ago...

Stone

Monday 14th Dec 2009. My Shell petrol station is 106.9 I think they are waiting for the local Morrisons to lower their price before they do.

Just a thought - How many Jerrycans do I have to fill to make the trip to Luton worthwhile??

Just a thought - How many Jerrycans do I have to fill to make the trip to Luton worthwhile??

good luck!

I was stopped at a supermarket forecourt once filling a single 20 litre jerrycan. I was told by the Sainsbury person that it was not an "approved" fuel container :argh: and their licence covered use of 5L plastic cans only. I asked him what did he think a jerrycan was designed for... since then I have noticed quite a lot of garages have stickers saying max size of metal can is 10L.

UPDATE

In the last few hours my local Shell station has just lowered the price of unleaded to 105.9 Still 2p a litre dearer than Asda which is only a mile away.

FURTHER UPDATE

Drove past the Shell station at 6pm and it is now 103.9 Long queues now, so I will try tommorrow morning.

Edited by woa2
Futher Update added

good luck!

I was stopped at a supermarket forecourt once filling a single 20 litre jerrycan. I was told by the Sainsbury person that it was not an "approved" fuel container :argh: and their licence covered use of 5L plastic cans only. I asked him what did he think a jerrycan was designed for... since then I have noticed quite a lot of garages have stickers saying max size of metal can is 10L.

Think it has to do with the amount you can legally store for domestic use..

http://www.hse.gov.uk/fireandexplosion/petroleum/faqs.htm#storage

Storage

What is the limit of the amount of petrol I can store for domestic use?

The Petroleum Spirit (Motor Vehicles etc.) Regulations 1929 and the Petroleum Spirit (Plastic Containers) Regulations 1982 limit the amount of petrol that can be kept in a domestic garage or within six metres of a building (e.g. most domestic driveways). The limit is a maximum of two suitable metal containers each of a maximum capacity of ten litres or two plastic containers (which have to be of an approved design) each of a maximum capacity of five litres. These limits also apply to any containers kept in a vehicle parked in the garage or on the driveway (but not to the internal fuel tank of the vehicle). Under no circumstances should the petrol containers be stored in the home itself.

Anyone who wishes to store larger quantities than this, or use larger containers, is required to notify the local Petroleum Licensing Authority (PLA) and to store the petrol in a prescribed manner set out in the 1929 Regulations mentioned above - enquirers who want further details should contact their local PLA. Storage of more than 275 litres (60 gallons) of petrol requires a petrol licence - again, contact the local PLA.

So, Jerry can full of petrol on the back of a jeep is illegal ?

Learn sommat new everyday.

Thought that was common sense, who would be mad enough (in civilian use) to carry a full can of fuel where someone could easily crash into it :confused: :sweat:

Edited by Marmite!!

Chevrolet Corvair sort of springs to mind :) - fuel tank on that wasn't in the safest position!! See Ralph Naders book "Unsafe at any speed" :)

On topic - Jerry cans are the only way (currently) I can refuel the OT, usually 8 or 10 at a time - so I make a point of asking at the cash desk before attempting to fill them and explaining why it's so many. Usually works out OK - apart from when one can has a hole in the base!! :red: :red:

We have to carry a jerry can on the Morris, [carred above the toolbox so quite high] as there is no petrol gauge fitted, just in case we run out,and its no good keep putting a wooden stick in the tank to see how far down it has gone. we are lucky to get 8 to 10 mpg.

On topic - Jerry cans are the only way (currently) I can refuel the OT, usually 8 or 10 at a time - so I make a point of asking at the cash desk before attempting to fill them and explaining why it's so many. Usually works out OK - apart from when one can has a hole in the base!! :red: :red:

Have you seen those foldup briefcase thingies for this? Can fit two jerry cans side by side (upside down) and with a hose thing on so you can leave them draining into the vehicle tanks :)

Stone