Rememberance Day Poppies

LarryH57

Question

Just a though - is there an official date when you should stop wearing your poppy in the UK? Is it when the Rememberance Day has come and gone as it has today, 8th November, or is it the 11th November whether or not it is a working day after Rememberance Day? What do you all do?

BTW - I know it's a little way to go but 11th November 2018 is a Sunday which is a blessing as we can all attend Rememberance parades on the actual day. However in a way it is also a disappointment as I would have liked just for once for it to be a public bank holiday with all banks, shops - in fact every non essential establishment closed and traffic band from city centres- just for once on this 100th anniversary, so that we may remember in a special way all those who have died for their county in that time.

7 answers to this question

According to some website you can wear a poppy upto the 11th November others are saying that after 11am on the 11th it must be removed but I think it should be worn at anytime on the 11th November.

I have found this on a website if it helps (from a canadian site as most british sites don't say)

When is a Poppy worn?

Traditionally, the Poppy is worn during the Remembrance period, which is from the last Friday in October to the end of the day on 11 November.

Poppies may also be worn at other commemorative events throughout the year, such as the Battle of the Atlantic , the Battle of Britain, a memorial service, at a Legion Convention and other similar occasions.

The Poppy may also be worn by Colour Parties when on parade and by members attending funeral services for veterans or Ordinary members.

Edited by Mark Collins
Typo

My enamel one stays on my flight jacket all the time and the paper ones come off at the end of the day on the 11th November.

I couldn't believe a letter I read in the Daily Express last week form some guy who reckons that poppies are sold too early and that in protest he won't be wearing one in future! He says he will continue to put money in the collection tins but not wear the poppy. I always thought the saying was "Wear Your Poppy With Pride".

Been involved with raising money for the Legion for the last few years and my Mother is one of the organiser for collection in her area. The information I was given was that the legion only sells poppies for 2 weeks in the year but there is no end to time you can wear one. The poppy is a simble of remmberance and as there is no time limit on remberance then that is the answer, well thats the one I got. I have my poppy pin on all year as does my lightweight.

Rememeber the dead but dont forget the living!